“A great Girls Weekend!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, MA
“A great Girls Weekend!”
Reviewed 20 July 2008

My best friend and I met at the Saybrook Point Inn & Spa for a weekend bonding session. We booked the "Girlfriend Getaway" package, and were thrilled with our entire experience.

We met at the property early and enjoyed a few Corona's and a hot dog from the Marina Bar as we overlooked the gorgeous water and enjoyed the July sun.

When we checked in, the front desk gave us our certificates for the next morning’s spa appointments and, in our room, we had adorable commemorative T-Shirts waiting for us. Shortly after we got into the room, Room Service arrived with three bottles of wine to enjoy during our stay (all part of the package).

Friday night we asked the front desk for a dinner recommendation in town. She gave us a detailed list of the local restaurants and pointed out a few that she recommended highly. We took her advice and went to Liv's where we had some amazing seafood. I was glad that we had asked!

We enjoyed a lovely breakfast al fresco at the hotel on Saturday before heading to the well-appointed spa for our body wrap and massage appointments. I consider myself a bit of a "spa snob" and was truly impressed with the body wrap I booked. My technician Mary was fantastic! My massage was less thrilling, but -- like I said -- I'm a little spoiled in this department. My friend loved both of her appointments, and overall we were totally content.

We had dinner at the Terra Mar on Saturday night and the food was excellent. I was surprised when we got the check as the total was far less than what the same meal would have cost in my hometown of Boston. We ended our weekend with a truly memorable Sunday brunch (also at the Terra Mar).

The service at the hotel was great. Friendly, prompt, and detail-oriented. I thought the package we booked was a great value and would recommend it highly. Our only complaint was that the pool area was small and crowded. There were at least three weddings taking place over the weekend, and many families occupied the limited outdoor area. It also seemed as if boaters accessing the marina also had access to the pool -- and the space is really not big enough for that kind of traffic.

My advice: Order a few frozen margaritas from the Marina Bar and you'll forget all about the cramped pool space! My friend and I look forward to a return visit next year!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank JAG74

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Reviewed 27 June 2008

Stayed for 2 nights midweek in a junior waterview sutie. Hotel was pretty empty in late June. Room had all the usual 4 star amentities except no safe. Towels fine, though housekeeping took away the used towels at turndown and didn't put new ones out, and didn't bring any when asked. Dinner in Terra Mar was very good. Great view of the water and good service. (Though they didn't pour the wine for you, you had to do that yourself) That was no problem for us, but it was sort of strange for a nice place like that to not do that.
Spa was clean and had all the usual spa amentities and services. No problem getting a reservation. Outdoor and indoor pools small.
Would've been nice if the outdoor pool was a lap pool. Would definitely go back.

• Liked — Waterfront location
  • Disliked — No beach
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 June 2008

Our daughter was attending orientation at a nearby college so we decided to choose this nearby full service hotel for the evening. Arrived at 12:30 pm. Room was not ready so we had lunch at their restaurant, Terra Grill. Excellent service.Enjoyed the fresh lobster salad. Room was ready after lunch. Room 308 was lovely. Fine furnishings, a wet bar, sofa , fire place, king bed and large bathroom with separate walk in shower. One of the largest marble double sink vanities I have seen. Small terrace with two chairs a small table with a residential view. Not a problem. We put on our suits and headed down to the pool. The pool is small but relative to the space. There are plenty of lounge chairs to soak up the sun. Towels are not provided. They leave two beige towels up in the room for you to bring down. We forget ours and asked the front desk if they could send some some around. I guess they forgot because we never got them. No worries it was warm so we dried quickly. There is an indoor pool , jacuzzi and small steam room. There is a small outdoor bar a few steps down from the pool. Not very lively. We like to drink and socialize at the pool. Not much of that scene here. More quiet and reserved. Walked around the marina and looked at the boats. Did the bed, breakfast and beyond package for $409. Enjoyed dinner at the restaurant. Interesting menu. I had the salmon. My husband had the steak. Very good meals. Excellent service. Beautifully decorated. Not much to do after dinner. Rode into town for ice cream. Breakfast was sensational. Fresh berries, pecan pancakes, fresh sausage, etc. Again a fine meal. Checked out early and hit the outlets. A nice stay for the evening, but I would not return again. Took plenty of photos for anyone interested. Have also stayed at the water's edge if anyone wants a comparison.

• Liked — Restaurant and Room
  • Disliked — Pool Scene
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
connecticut shoreline
Reviewed 20 May 2008

We were married at SPI and everything was excellent, couldn't have been better. Ellen Belmont and her staff treated us and our guests like royalty. Delicious food....incredible service & attention to detail. It was the best.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2008

Stayed at the Saybrook Point Inn and Spa during February 2008. I'm sorry we stayed only 2 nights. Our beautiful room faced the water and had a large marble? bathroom.

The Inn is rated 4 Stars. I disagreed; it should be at least 5 Stars! The Inn is gorgeous, clean and well cared for. The service was EXCELLENT. Everyone, from the front desk to the cleaning staff, was courteous and professional. The restaurant is also amazing. -- good food, good service, windows face the water, beautifully decorated.

Saw the pool. Used the gym -- also clean and well maintained. The Spa services were good. I had one of the the best massages I have every had.

I look forward to another stay at the Saybrook Point Inn and Spa.

• Liked — Everything.
  • Disliked — Completely positive experience.
  • Stayed February 2008
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed 11 April 2008

Contrary to some of the other reviews we were warmly greeted anytime we met staff during our 3 day stay. The room was quite large with a working fireplace and a whirlpool. We had no problems with noise from other parties but we traveled in March which is not a big wedding month.

Th spa is not as expansive as others I have seen and there are very few classes but we felt like we had plenty of choices of treatments. Breakfast was pricey as we were not on a package like some others .
We had very nice meals at Liv's Oyster Bar and Penny Lane restaurants which were only a mile away, and better reviewed than the Terra Mar at the hotel. The area is very nice for exploring and we would defintiely go back and hope to take advantage of an off-season package.

Stayed March 2008
Boston
Reviewed 7 April 2008

My college roommate and I were at the Saybrook Point Inn for our yearly reunion. We found the place to fantastic. The rooms were spacious and clean as was the bathroom. It happened to be warm so we were able to sit out on the terrace and enjoy the beautiful view of the Marina. It must be spectacular when things are in bloom. We had great massages in the Spa, which was also very clean. The staff throughout the Inn were kind and courteous and extremely helpful (when I had left my ring in my bathrobe pocket, Tiffany (at the desk) was kind enough to bring it to me in the dining room). The dinner and the breakfast were both delicious and there was also a nice selections of wines. We've decided to make this "our place", it's about halfway between where she lives in NJ and where I live in Boston. We'll be back next year and we're considering bringing our husbands... well, maybe we'll just keep it girls' w/e. It's also a great value.

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
#2 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Hyatt Place Mystic
Hyatt Place Mystic
#3 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Saybrook Point Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!