My husband and I booked a stay here for our anniversary. We booked a dining experience package which included dinner and breakfast at Fresh Salt along with our room for the night.
The check in was fine. The room was lovely and seemed quite clean. The room had plenty of space, had a nice sitting area, a fireplace, and a small balcony. We were a little sad that our balcony overlooked the parking lot / street side, but the room was nice nonetheless. The only negative about the room was that the floor of the shower stall and bathtub both looked a little dingy -- they seemed sanitary but maybe in need of a good bleaching, scrubbing, or some restoration.
Dinner and breakfast at Fresh Salt were great. The food and drinks were excellent and the service was pretty good (a little inattentive at times).
We were a little bummed that the indoor pool and whirlpool had signs up saying they were closed until noon the next day (I guess the water PH was not correct and they had added chemicals).
Unfortunately, the end of our stay was ruined by a bad checkout experience and management did not seem overly concerned about this.
What happened was that, somehow, the evening staff did not communicate to the day staff that we had requested a late checkout. The usual checkout is noon but we asked for 1 p.m., so that we could use the pool that was to be closed until noon the next day.
When we got back to the room at 12:40 p.m. the next day, after swimming, there were frantic messages left questioning why were still in the room. We became flustered when it was apparent the front desk and housekeeping (who had entered the room in spite of the privacy indicator) did not realize we had been told we could check out at 1 p.m.
We were so flustered that we hastily checked out, leaving several items behind that we had to return for the next day. We were so upset that I wrote a letter to the Innkeeper explaining what a damper this put on our stay and how frustrating it was that we had to drive all the way back the following day to retrieve things that had been left behind. We left the letter, addressed to the Innkeeper, when we picked up the forgotten items.
A couple of days later, I received an email from the assistant manager which seemed more like excuse making than a genuine apology. No compensation of any sort was offered and my reply to the e-mail went unanswered.
It's sad that the checkout experience ruined an otherwise pleasant (though expensive) stay. We will not be going back. As I wrote to the assistant manager, it's so expensive we can't go back hoping to possibly have a better experience; we'd rather stay somewhere with a proven track record, where we have been treated nicely before.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Saybrook Point Inn & Spa is a AAA Four Diamond Southern Connecticut hotel, recently designated as a green hotel. We offer gracious accommodations, Four Diamond dining, a luxurious spa, and a gorgeous shoreline view. Enjoy classic intimacy in elegant rooms featuring balconies, water views and glowing fireplaces. We are a pet friendly hotel.Amenities include a luxurious spa, our health club offering indoor and outdoor pools, modern fitness equipment, sun decks, sauna and exercise classes. Our marina can accommodate vessels up to 200 feet and offers a floating gas dock and expert staff. We also have onsite dining at Fresh Salt Restaurant, offering exquisite service and waterfront ambiance. We offer meeting rooms and space, planning and catering for events.Saybrook Point Inn & Spa is conveniently located only two hours from New York City and one hour from Bradley International Airport. Our inn is at the mouth of the Connecticut River, with panoramic views of Long Island Sound, and only steps from the heart of historic Old Saybrook and a colorful host of antique shops, theatres, brand name outlets and casinos. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Saybrook Point Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Saybrook Point Hotel Old Saybrook
- Saybrook Point Inn And Spa
- Old Saybrook Inn
- Saybrook Point Old
- Saybrook Inn
- Saybrook Point Inn Spa