“Any port in a storm!”

Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Old Saybrook
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 23 July 2014

While boating on the Connecticut River, an unexpected storm and very rough waters for our 22ft boat put us in a dangerous situation. After attempting to make it to the mouth of the river, we decided to go back up river and seek shelter. Saybrook Pont Marina was our option. They did accommodate us with a slip. We made arrangements to get back to our home in Old Saybrook. The manager informed us that we would have to pay full marina charge for the overnight. No consideration was given to the fact that we were there out of necessity and would not be using any of their facilities.
Very disappointed in their "customer service" as we're our guests.
The hotel and the restaurant are excellent, our family has had a wedding there, celebrated birthdays, Sunday Brunch all lovely.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank bobsmobCt
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Of course, I'm happy that you enjoy the Inn and have had a nice brunch with us. That said, I apologize for any frustration with the marina. It's policy that regardless of the weather, we still have to charge guests when a boat is in a slip overnight, but we sincerely appreciate you feedback. We hope you'll come back and see us again.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We spent two night at this amazing Inn. Check in was quick and service with a smile. Our room was spotless and spacious . Everything you need was available in the beautiful bathroom including a make up mirror ! My 3 spa treatments were perfect. Speak with Betty or Katie to book a spa service that will be beyond relaxing !
The Fresh Salt restaurant was delicious. We enjoyed 2 fantastic dinners and a Sunday brunch that was beyond any brunch we ever had. Brunch is a MUST when you stay at this Inn! Ask for a table overlooking the marina. The hostess and servers in the restaurant were wonderful. I have been looking forward to this weekend getaway since May when we booked it. Two days before arriving to Saybrook Point Inn and Spa I was informed that I was now Cancer Free. What a wonderful way to celebrate at this Inn. A weekend we will never forget . Thank you to the attentive smiling staff . You were all so fabulous . I am looking forward to our trip back this fall .

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Donna V

Congratulations on being cancer free, Donna! I'm so glad we were able to celebrate with you! From your room to your brunch, I'm thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Your compliments certainly mean a lot to us and we look forward to seeing you in the fall.

All the best,

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We love the Sunday Brunch .. The food is absolutely delicious & atmosphere is spectacular. My family & I have been going here for years & every experience is even better than the previous. Staff is wonderful. Location is great. I couldn't ask for anything more. Thank you for always putting a smile on our faces, scrumptious food in our bellies & new moments with the ones we love.

Stayed: July 2014
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you so much for the kind compliments! It's really nice to hear that you enjoy our Sunday Brunch. Please know that I sincerely appreciate your loyalty and it makes me so happy to hear that the staff is always friendly! I look forward to seeing you sometime soon!

All the best,

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights at the Inn recently. I've been staying there since about 2000 whenever I'm in this area. Rooms are very well appointed, staff is very friendly and food is very good. My only complaint would be pricing. It's a bit rich for Old Saybrook, but they really have the only game in town so your options are limited. Weddings are big there so if you stay on a weekend expect a lot of people. But on the fun side , weddings provide some great people watching. And the rooms are very quiet. We never heard the wedding parties in the room even though we stayed just above the banquet rooms. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone. Also, it's dog friendly if you want to bring Fido with you. The pool is part of the fitness center which sells memberships to locals. So it can get crowded with non guests at times. When you have lunch or dinner, be sure to try the lobster roll. You won't be disappointed.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Rogerwilco123
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thanks so much for leaving us a review here on Trip Advisor. Your compliments are greatly appreciated and I'm glad you always have a nice time when you stay with us. It's great to hear that you enjoy the people watching on the weekends and of course, you can never go wrong with a Lobster Roll. Come back and visit again soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I booked a stay here for our anniversary. We booked a dining experience package which included dinner and breakfast at Fresh Salt along with our room for the night.

The check in was fine. The room was lovely and seemed quite clean. The room had plenty of space, had a nice sitting area, a fireplace, and a small balcony. We were a little sad that our balcony overlooked the parking lot / street side, but the room was nice nonetheless. The only negative about the room was that the floor of the shower stall and bathtub both looked a little dingy -- they seemed sanitary but maybe in need of a good bleaching, scrubbing, or some restoration.

Dinner and breakfast at Fresh Salt were great. The food and drinks were excellent and the service was pretty good (a little inattentive at times).

We were a little bummed that the indoor pool and whirlpool had signs up saying they were closed until noon the next day (I guess the water PH was not correct and they had added chemicals).

Unfortunately, the end of our stay was ruined by a bad checkout experience and management did not seem overly concerned about this.

What happened was that, somehow, the evening staff did not communicate to the day staff that we had requested a late checkout. The usual checkout is noon but we asked for 1 p.m., so that we could use the pool that was to be closed until noon the next day.

When we got back to the room at 12:40 p.m. the next day, after swimming, there were frantic messages left questioning why were still in the room. We became flustered when it was apparent the front desk and housekeeping (who had entered the room in spite of the privacy indicator) did not realize we had been told we could check out at 1 p.m.

We were so flustered that we hastily checked out, leaving several items behind that we had to return for the next day. We were so upset that I wrote a letter to the Innkeeper explaining what a damper this put on our stay and how frustrating it was that we had to drive all the way back the following day to retrieve things that had been left behind. We left the letter, addressed to the Innkeeper, when we picked up the forgotten items.

A couple of days later, I received an email from the assistant manager which seemed more like excuse making than a genuine apology. No compensation of any sort was offered and my reply to the e-mail went unanswered.

It's sad that the checkout experience ruined an otherwise pleasant (though expensive) stay. We will not be going back. As I wrote to the assistant manager, it's so expensive we can't go back hoping to possibly have a better experience; we'd rather stay somewhere with a proven track record, where we have been treated nicely before.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ideadensity
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. As you said, there was certainly a miscommunication, and for that I apologize. It's disappointing to know that you felt you had a nice stay with us until the issue at check out. I understand how stressful it can be when you leave something behind, as well. Please know that I will speak with the team and I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to impress you. We'd really like to have you back for a visit.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

A friend and I stayed here last weekend. Front desk and bellman very friendly and helpful. Room gorgeous and spotless. We had a great view of the CT river. The restaurant in the hotel (Fresh Salt) is spectacular… you must try the Connecticut lobster roll!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

It's so great to hear that you had a nice time with us. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the room and that everyone on staff was friendly and helpful. I hope you'll come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed for three nights at the new Three Stories Guesthouse. I have to say the new building was absolutely exquisite! We were completely blown away with the meticulous attention to detail and the beautifully designed interior. Each room is dedicated to a prominent local figure and has been custom designed to reflect their personality and legacy. Three Stories is a timepiece- incredibly warm and inviting, yet rich with luxury amenities and historical appeal- we felt immediately at home.

A full breakfast at Fresh Salt was included in our stay (although coffee and pastries are available in the kitchen every morning). We thoroughly enjoyed our waterfront dining experience. The lemon ricotta pancakes and vegetable hash were absolutely delicious!

Only a couple of minor complaints associated with growing pains- the toilet seat did not want to stay upright, the controls for the fireplace and shower were a bit confusing. The room was also a bit smaller than what we have come to expect at the main Inn. Overall, though, it was a wonderful and unique experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

From the room decor to the breakfast at Fresh Salt, I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your vacation in the Three Stories guest house, Stephanie. Thank you so much for your kind review, as we love hearing about your stay with us. Of course, I appreciate your feedback about the the toilet seat and controls, as we're always looking for ways to improve. I hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Saybrook
#1 of 13 in Mystic
Hilton Mystic
Hilton Mystic
#5 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Saybrook Point Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!