“Thanks Mrs. Pratt!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Old Saybrook
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Thanks Mrs. Pratt!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed at the Saybrook Point Inn's new property Three Stories for 2 nights. It is beautiful! Special thanks to Donna from Housekeeping who gave us a tour of the inn at which point we switched to Rm. 430 on the third floor. Rooms are small but beautifully decorated and immaculate. We were not familiar with the area so Donna suggested we speak to Mrs. Pratt, "Guest Advocate". She was the difference maker in our trip. She is a charming, wonderful woman who gave us suggestions for restaurants, quaint towns to visit and the perfect spot for a picnic on the harbor. Every recommendation was perfection! I highly recommend if you are going to the Saybrook you take the time to meet Mrs. Pratt.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NjTurquoise
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
I'm thrilled that the staff was helpful and you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I will certainly pass your compliments along to Donna and Mrs. Pratt. Your review certainly means a lot to us, and we hope you'll come back and stay again soon.

Pauline Ackles, Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Long Island, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at Saybrook Point over July 4th weekend. Initially, the desk was accommodating us by changing our reservation because we were traveling by boat and the weather wasn't good. We arrived at Saturday evening, our room was facing the parking lot. This was a surprise, given we booked a water view originally. However, changing the reservation changed our room. Then we went downstairs for dinner and felt like an invited guest at a wedding. Our seats were outside and the loud wedding music and lingering guests, made us feel like we crashed their party. The next morning we planned on sitting by the pool. Unfortunately, the pool was packed. There weren't any seats. We were told that many of the pool guests belonged to the pool, rather then hotel guests. Screaming splashing kids with no seats... we left and took a bike ride to town. All in all... it was ok.

Room Tip: Request away from dining room with loud music and the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 4Sons2dogs
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Of course, I'm sorry to hear that your visit was just okay. That's certainly not the kind of experience we want our guests to have. We realize that it can get a little loud during wedding receptions, but please know that we appreciate the feedback as we look for ways to improve. Of course, the pool is more crowded in the summer months, but it's nice to know that you were able to enjoy a nice bike ride. I hope you'll come back and give us another chance to impress you.

CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

While boating on the Connecticut River, an unexpected storm and very rough waters for our 22ft boat put us in a dangerous situation. After attempting to make it to the mouth of the river, we decided to go back up river and seek shelter. Saybrook Pont Marina was our option. They did accommodate us with a slip. We made arrangements to get back to our home in Old Saybrook. The manager informed us that we would have to pay full marina charge for the overnight. No consideration was given to the fact that we were there out of necessity and would not be using any of their facilities.
Very disappointed in their "customer service" as we're our guests.
The hotel and the restaurant are excellent, our family has had a wedding there, celebrated birthdays, Sunday Brunch all lovely.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank bobsmobCt
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Of course, I'm happy that you enjoy the Inn and have had a nice brunch with us. That said, I apologize for any frustration with the marina. It's policy that regardless of the weather, we still have to charge guests when a boat is in a slip overnight, but we sincerely appreciate you feedback. We hope you'll come back and see us again.

Westchester, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We spent two night at this amazing Inn. Check in was quick and service with a smile. Our room was spotless and spacious . Everything you need was available in the beautiful bathroom including a make up mirror ! My 3 spa treatments were perfect. Speak with Betty or Katie to book a spa service that will be beyond relaxing !
The Fresh Salt restaurant was delicious. We enjoyed 2 fantastic dinners and a Sunday brunch that was beyond any brunch we ever had. Brunch is a MUST when you stay at this Inn! Ask for a table overlooking the marina. The hostess and servers in the restaurant were wonderful. I have been looking forward to this weekend getaway since May when we booked it. Two days before arriving to Saybrook Point Inn and Spa I was informed that I was now Cancer Free. What a wonderful way to celebrate at this Inn. A weekend we will never forget . Thank you to the attentive smiling staff . You were all so fabulous . I am looking forward to our trip back this fall .

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Donna V
Congratulations on being cancer free, Donna! I'm so glad we were able to celebrate with you! From your room to your brunch, I'm thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Your compliments certainly mean a lot to us and we look forward to seeing you in the fall.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We love the Sunday Brunch .. The food is absolutely delicious & atmosphere is spectacular. My family & I have been going here for years & every experience is even better than the previous. Staff is wonderful. Location is great. I couldn't ask for anything more. Thank you for always putting a smile on our faces, scrumptious food in our bellies & new moments with the ones we love.

Stayed July 2014
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you so much for the kind compliments! It's really nice to hear that you enjoy our Sunday Brunch. Please know that I sincerely appreciate your loyalty and it makes me so happy to hear that the staff is always friendly! I look forward to seeing you sometime soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights at the Inn recently. I've been staying there since about 2000 whenever I'm in this area. Rooms are very well appointed, staff is very friendly and food is very good. My only complaint would be pricing. It's a bit rich for Old Saybrook, but they really have the only game in town so your options are limited. Weddings are big there so if you stay on a weekend expect a lot of people. But on the fun side , weddings provide some great people watching. And the rooms are very quiet. We never heard the wedding parties in the room even though we stayed just above the banquet rooms. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone. Also, it's dog friendly if you want to bring Fido with you. The pool is part of the fitness center which sells memberships to locals. So it can get crowded with non guests at times. When you have lunch or dinner, be sure to try the lobster roll. You won't be disappointed.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Rogerwilco123
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thanks so much for leaving us a review here on Trip Advisor. Your compliments are greatly appreciated and I'm glad you always have a nice time when you stay with us. It's great to hear that you enjoy the people watching on the weekends and of course, you can never go wrong with a Lobster Roll. Come back and visit again soon.

Middletown, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked a stay here for our anniversary. We booked a dining experience package which included dinner and breakfast at Fresh Salt along with our room for the night.

The check in was fine. The room was lovely and seemed quite clean. The room had plenty of space, had a nice sitting area, a fireplace, and a small balcony. We were a little sad that our balcony overlooked the parking lot / street side, but the room was nice nonetheless. The only negative about the room was that the floor of the shower stall and bathtub both looked a little dingy -- they seemed sanitary but maybe in need of a good bleaching, scrubbing, or some restoration.

Dinner and breakfast at Fresh Salt were great. The food and drinks were excellent and the service was pretty good (a little inattentive at times).

We were a little bummed that the indoor pool and whirlpool had signs up saying they were closed until noon the next day (I guess the water PH was not correct and they had added chemicals).

Unfortunately, the end of our stay was ruined by a bad checkout experience and management did not seem overly concerned about this.

What happened was that, somehow, the evening staff did not communicate to the day staff that we had requested a late checkout. The usual checkout is noon but we asked for 1 p.m., so that we could use the pool that was to be closed until noon the next day.

When we got back to the room at 12:40 p.m. the next day, after swimming, there were frantic messages left questioning why were still in the room. We became flustered when it was apparent the front desk and housekeeping (who had entered the room in spite of the privacy indicator) did not realize we had been told we could check out at 1 p.m.

We were so flustered that we hastily checked out, leaving several items behind that we had to return for the next day. We were so upset that I wrote a letter to the Innkeeper explaining what a damper this put on our stay and how frustrating it was that we had to drive all the way back the following day to retrieve things that had been left behind. We left the letter, addressed to the Innkeeper, when we picked up the forgotten items.

A couple of days later, I received an email from the assistant manager which seemed more like excuse making than a genuine apology. No compensation of any sort was offered and my reply to the e-mail went unanswered.

It's sad that the checkout experience ruined an otherwise pleasant (though expensive) stay. We will not be going back. As I wrote to the assistant manager, it's so expensive we can't go back hoping to possibly have a better experience; we'd rather stay somewhere with a proven track record, where we have been treated nicely before.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ideadensity
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
I am so sorry to hear about your experience. As you said, there was certainly a miscommunication, and for that I apologize. It's disappointing to know that you felt you had a nice stay with us until the issue at check out. I understand how stressful it can be when you leave something behind, as well. Please know that I will speak with the team and I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to impress you. We'd really like to have you back for a visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Saybrook
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,366 reviews
Inn at Mystic
Inn at Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Saybrook Point Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!