“I'd also stay there again.”

Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Old Saybrook
New York
“I'd also stay there again.”
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I have to go with the majority and say that this Comfort Inn was just fine. I really don't know where the nay-sayers are coming from.

It's not charming or elegant, but you knew that, right? However, the room was spacious, the linen was clean, the bathroom was immaculate and the shower was hot (well, hot enough, anyway) and plentiful.

We paid $112.50 a night (AAA rate) plus tax. By the way, of the various booking agencies that Trip Advisor brought up when checking rates, only Travelocity listed the AAA rate, and they also listed Senior rates.

Two more positives. The free breakfast, though it was just muffins, fruit, and waffles, was acceptable, but the coffee was actually very good -- even approaching excellent. The person manning (actually, womanning :-) ) the breakfast room was very friendly and helpful, especially to the large number of kids who were present. I gave her a tip.

The second positive is that I think I saw signs saying that high-speed internet is free. I didn't use it, so I'm not completely sure; but I think Trip Advisor or Travelocity (I forget which) says you have to pay for internet.

On the negative side, the check-in lady whom we encountered at midnight was rather nasty and the furniture in the room was worn. The furniture thing didn't bother me, but I saw it bothered one reviewer. I didn't find it depressing or shabby or in bad repair; it was just not new. The check-out man in the morning, on the other hand, was just fine.

To summarize, we just wanted a place to stay. We knew we'd be arriving late and leaving early in the morning. If we were going to stay in this beautiful part of Connecticut for a few days, as we've done in the past, and if we had really wanted a base of operations that we'd be returning to often, we might have spent three times the amount for a "pretty" place. But for our needs on this visit, it was just fine, and the price was right.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness and spaciousness of the room, price
  • Disliked — Nasty lady at check-in
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
CONNECTICUT
Reviewed 27 September 2008

My husband and I stayed there for only one night, not sure what to expect after reading some of the reviews but were pleasantly surprised with overall appearance outside and inside. The room and bathroom were "very" clean and king bed was very comfortable,with extra pillows.
The continental breakfast was "o.k." for free, waffles, bagels, cold hard boiled eggs, coffee, juice,etc... but it was very busy and people had to wait long for their waffles to be made as their was only one person working the breakfast area who was doing her best to accomodate everyone.
My husband would have preferred to go to a restaurant for breakfast but it was enough for me.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
connecticut
Reviewed 24 May 2008

friendly staff very helpful nice big rooms loved the indoor pool very clean

• Liked — comfortable beds
  • Stayed May 2008
North Carolina
Reviewed 22 March 2008

My fiance and I were staying there due to an outage. We stayed there for a little over a month. We reserved a single and got put in a double with a 'tough luck' attitude from the Manager. Keep in mind we made this reservation a month before hand. Once there, our mini-fridge was broke (full of water) and the handle on our sliding glass door was broke in half. When we asked for them to fix it they claimed they would and never did. The charged my card twice in one week, which caused my bank to become over drawn (thank you bank of America for understanding). When I brought that to my attention they cussed me out and said I was foolish and they did no such thing, I had both receipts (charged twice in one day) and they still wouldn't do anything about it. Finally my fiance came home from a 12 hour shift and brought all the same paper work to their attention. After an hour they finally cleared up their mistake. The manager has an awful attitude, the two female co-workers I had the unfortunate mis-pleasure of meeting were very rude. They had an attitude like, "you are disturbing my online experience, why are you even up here?"

The over all room, aside from everything being broke and never fixed, was ghetto and had an awful smell to it.

I work at a hotel, I understand what it is like to be a housekeeper and a front desk clerk. I was highly offended and feel very over charged from staying there. This is a place my fiance and I will NEVER return to.

• Liked — Breakfast I suppose
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank tumble82

Travellers are raving about these Old Saybrook hotels

Boston
Reviewed 7 July 2007

Nasty! We took two steps into the room and left. Comfort Inn should know better. We stay in the Guilford Comfort Inn all the time and thought this place would be comparable. No way. Disgusting smoking room, old decor, dirty, dingy, no joke, the guy at the desk says to us, "I can never sell those rooms!"

We were gone in 5 minutes.
Don't stay here. Drive 20 minutes south and stay at the one in Guilford.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Smith1000
CT
Reviewed 23 June 2007

I booked this room last minute mostly because of its very convenient location. I have friends that live on Essex Rd and a couple was up visiting from Florida. There was not enough room for us to stay at their small apartment, so this was a 30 second walk to the restaurant we were meeting at: Vinny's right across the street.
Check-in was very quick. Few words were exchanged, but that's fine by me! The room was huge! Cathedral ceilings, tons of drawer space, counter tops, and two sinks. We also had a microwave and refrigerator in our room with two double beds. The sheets and comforter were stiff (low quality), but the towels in the bathroom were just the opposite: soft and smelling great. Great water pressure and temperature in the shower. The air conditioner ran well, but it was noisy.
Continental breakfast the next day in an outdated banquet hall, but it offered plenty of choices: waffles, fruit, toast, hard boiled eggs, cereal, and juice and coffee. Check-out was quick and just as wordless. Overall, I'd stay here again simply due to its convenient location.

• Liked — Huge rooms
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable sheets and comforter
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
Ashland, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 April 2007

The hotel is a dump. The heat was broken. The toilet seat was broken. The shower was suspect.

But it's one of those hotels where the management doesn't care what you do. If you are looking for somewhere cheap to throw a big drunk party, this is your place. If you just need a cheap place to sleep for one night, this hotel does the job for only $60 per night.

The woman at the front desk was very unrefined, not in the least bit professional, but very accommodating (which, in the end, is what is most important).

• Liked — The price and the laid back attitude of the staff.
  • Disliked — The heat was broken. It was either blast hot air or cold air. There was no way to turn it off.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in Niantic
Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook? Share your experiences!