“Enjoyed our stay - great location for a decent price”

Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Old Saybrook
Southington, CT
“Enjoyed our stay - great location for a decent price”
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We've stayed here several years ago and thought it was fine, but since then, they've made some changes that we absolutely loved! The rooms are nice and spacious, check in clerk was very nice and helpful, they now have an indoor pool, bar and restaurant. Since it's not right on the beach and you have to drive a bit to get to it, having an onsite bar was a definite plus. We had teenagers with us, so it was Mom and Dad time at a friendly, lively Saturday night bar (karaoke and very happy crowd). We ate lunch when we got there and I was hoping for a nice seafood selection but the food was very good. Friends of ours booked a motel down the road in Old Lyme and after hearing what a nightmare their room was, we were beyond happy to have found this place!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Cincinnati
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Average, average, average. Very clinical receptionist--efficient, businesslike--directed us to a room that was spacious, but one of those remodeled old "other chain" hotels. Nothing wrong with that, it's just out of the 70s, that's all. Bedcovers and sheets worn; wore shoes on floor, breakfast unremarkable, value okay. Would not make this a destination, but no harm staying here.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
oldsayci, General Manager at Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook, responded to this review, 30 October 2009
I appreciate you writing a review about our Hotel in Old Saybrook. The owners have recently spent more than a Million Dollars in renovations to really make this place special. We also opened our Comfort Cafe which has great food and delivers to the rooms. They also have entertainment on Fridays an Saturdays in the bar. So we would love for you to give us a try again as we feel with the upgrades in service and product, you wont be disappointed! Love to see you back!:)

Ken Spino
Boston
Reviewed 23 December 2008

The hotel is in need of a overhall. First impression when you arrive is the smell of stale cigarette smoke in the lobby from the front desk staff smoking in the back.We stayed on two occasions. The first time on the third floor adjacent to long term renters who looked like they moved in permantly. We asked to be moved due to the language of the long term renters. Second time the heat in our room did not work. We called the front desk and were told they did not have anyone on call to fix it and it was to late in the evening to relocate our room. I am in the hotel management business and this place is pretty rough. You get what you pay for. The only reason we booked it was due to the indoor pool for our kids to use in November but ended up leaving early. The online site makes it look like a castle.

Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
I appreciate you writing a review about our Hotel in Old Saybrook. The owners have recently spent more than a Million Dollars in renovations to really make this place special. We also opened our Comfort Cafe which has great food and delivers to the rooms. They also have entertainment on Fridays an Saturdays in the bar. So we would love for you to give us a try again as we feel with the upgrades in service and product, you wont be disappointed! Love to see back!:)

Ken Spino
New York
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I have to go with the majority and say that this Comfort Inn was just fine. I really don't know where the nay-sayers are coming from.

It's not charming or elegant, but you knew that, right? However, the room was spacious, the linen was clean, the bathroom was immaculate and the shower was hot (well, hot enough, anyway) and plentiful.

We paid $112.50 a night (AAA rate) plus tax. By the way, of the various booking agencies that Trip Advisor brought up when checking rates, only Travelocity listed the AAA rate, and they also listed Senior rates.

Two more positives. The free breakfast, though it was just muffins, fruit, and waffles, was acceptable, but the coffee was actually very good -- even approaching excellent. The person manning (actually, womanning :-) ) the breakfast room was very friendly and helpful, especially to the large number of kids who were present. I gave her a tip.

The second positive is that I think I saw signs saying that high-speed internet is free. I didn't use it, so I'm not completely sure; but I think Trip Advisor or Travelocity (I forget which) says you have to pay for internet.

On the negative side, the check-in lady whom we encountered at midnight was rather nasty and the furniture in the room was worn. The furniture thing didn't bother me, but I saw it bothered one reviewer. I didn't find it depressing or shabby or in bad repair; it was just not new. The check-out man in the morning, on the other hand, was just fine.

To summarize, we just wanted a place to stay. We knew we'd be arriving late and leaving early in the morning. If we were going to stay in this beautiful part of Connecticut for a few days, as we've done in the past, and if we had really wanted a base of operations that we'd be returning to often, we might have spent three times the amount for a "pretty" place. But for our needs on this visit, it was just fine, and the price was right.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness and spaciousness of the room, price
  • Disliked — Nasty lady at check-in
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
CONNECTICUT
Reviewed 27 September 2008

My husband and I stayed there for only one night, not sure what to expect after reading some of the reviews but were pleasantly surprised with overall appearance outside and inside. The room and bathroom were "very" clean and king bed was very comfortable,with extra pillows.
The continental breakfast was "o.k." for free, waffles, bagels, cold hard boiled eggs, coffee, juice,etc... but it was very busy and people had to wait long for their waffles to be made as their was only one person working the breakfast area who was doing her best to accomodate everyone.
My husband would have preferred to go to a restaurant for breakfast but it was enough for me.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
connecticut
Reviewed 24 May 2008

friendly staff very helpful nice big rooms loved the indoor pool very clean

• Liked — comfortable beds
  • Stayed May 2008
North Carolina
Reviewed 22 March 2008

My fiance and I were staying there due to an outage. We stayed there for a little over a month. We reserved a single and got put in a double with a 'tough luck' attitude from the Manager. Keep in mind we made this reservation a month before hand. Once there, our mini-fridge was broke (full of water) and the handle on our sliding glass door was broke in half. When we asked for them to fix it they claimed they would and never did. The charged my card twice in one week, which caused my bank to become over drawn (thank you bank of America for understanding). When I brought that to my attention they cussed me out and said I was foolish and they did no such thing, I had both receipts (charged twice in one day) and they still wouldn't do anything about it. Finally my fiance came home from a 12 hour shift and brought all the same paper work to their attention. After an hour they finally cleared up their mistake. The manager has an awful attitude, the two female co-workers I had the unfortunate mis-pleasure of meeting were very rude. They had an attitude like, "you are disturbing my online experience, why are you even up here?"

The over all room, aside from everything being broke and never fixed, was ghetto and had an awful smell to it.

I work at a hotel, I understand what it is like to be a housekeeper and a front desk clerk. I was highly offended and feel very over charged from staying there. This is a place my fiance and I will NEVER return to.

• Liked — Breakfast I suppose
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in Niantic

Been to Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook? Share your experiences!