“brithday dinner”

Dining options: Reservations
Branford, Connecticut
“brithday dinner”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We all went out to dinner for Diane's birthday to the red fish grill we stared with margaritas that were well made we also ordered apps. 12 oysters,2.25 ea. Szechwan popcorn shrimp 9.00 and seared ahi tuna 10.00. We all liked the tuna we had to get a second order. For dinner Diane had the grilled rainbow trout with garlic herb butter 17.00 Renee had the Redfish signature combo 21.00 Willie had the seafood casserole 19.00 I had the grilled redfish with mango salsa 18.00 all came with 2 sides except the casserole came with 1 side grilled asparagus, mac & cheese, French fries, Cole slaw, Jasmine rice, oven roasted potatoes or seasonal vegetables. We also got a bottle of Alamos Torrontes 24.00. After eating all this food we were to full for desert. We all felt the food was top notch and will go back for a good meal. Give it a try it has good fish.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank George N

West Haven, Connecticut
“consistent”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I have now returned to this lovely restaurant at least a handful of times since opening, and I must say I've never had a bad experience or meal. Our original server Janna has now moved up to management. She takes great pride in her job and is spot on with her menu recommendations. We arrived last night around 5:30 and were surprised with a new menu of specials being offered during the week at excellent prices. The portions are abundant and the atmosphere is pleasant...looking forward to our next visit.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank DoctorLP
New Haven, Connecticut
“VERY disappointing!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I were really looking forward to trying out the new seafood restaurant in Orange, CT! We were seated and given menus. The waiter came after what seemed like a long wait and asked what we would like. He did not offer to share with us what the "specials" were. I read the Trip Advisor reviews before we left home and noticed that there were specials. I asked the waiter if there were specials and he stumbled over what he thought they were. He told me that one was stuffed lobster and the other was a combo of lobster tail, 4 oz. filet mignon and shrimp for $21. Sounded like a good deal to me. Husband ordered the Red Fish Signature seafood combo with asparagus and roasted potatoes. Menu looked really good...lots of variety and prices seemed fair.

Waiter returns to the table after about 15 minutes and informs me that he got the special he offered me wrong. It was actually going to be a pork chop and lobster mac and cheese! Not even close to what he relayed earlier. So, I just ordered the small Filet mignon with mixed veggies and jasmine rice on the side.

When he took our order, he neglected to even mention that there were sides with our entree. Once again I knew because I had so much time with my menu I had read it and reread it several times. I had to ask him if he wanted our side order as he was retreating. He acted like this was his first night on the job and had never been in food service in his life. I asked him how long had he worked at Red Fish. He said its been 3 weeks now. We either have a training problem here or a competency problem. Either way, we have a problem.

He finally brings out the food and has the wrong 2 sides on my husband's order. He dropped the plates in front of us and disappeared before we could even point out that there was a problem. We sat there for a few minutes and he did not return so I flagged down the hostess/floor manager. I relayed the problems to her and she apologized and took my husbands plate to replace it with the correct food. I tried to explain that nothing had been done correctly from the time we sat down. She acted like she understood and said she would talk to us after we had our meal.

The waiter neglected to ask me how I wanted my steak cooked...so, it was, of course not the way I would have liked it. I love filet mignon and have never had a bad one until tonight. It had very little seasoning on it and was very sinewy....stringy...words fail me on this one! My veggies were bland and if you blindfolded me, I would not have been able to tell you the difference between the carrots and the zucchini! The jasmine rice had NO seasoning...just dry unbuttered rice! My husband's crab cake was mostly filler and looked like an English Muffin but with less flavor. He said the shrimp and scallops were okay but didn't make up for everything else on the plate. We were very dissatisfied with our food!

The floor manager came back to the table to ask how the food was and I asked her if she really wanted to know. She said yes, so I told her. I told her we really wanted to have a good experience because we love seafood and the area does not have much of a variety of restaurants offering it. She told us that she was not going to charge us for our meal because it was obvious we didn't enjoy it. Most of my meal was still on the plate. I am hoping we caught them on a bad night and that the Red Fish Grill is usually much better than what we experienced. It was nice that they did't charge for the food that we didn't eat even though my husband said he was happy to pay for it, he just wanted to get out.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Write2Annamarie
Milford, Connecticut
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Went to the Red Fish Grill with my wife on a Fri evening. We were seated immediately and were greeted by our waiter who explained that they had specials along with the regular menu. He then left us to decide what we wanted and came back to the table with bread and olive oil for dipping.My wife had twin lobster tails special and I had Cioppino which this night was also a special we ordered a bottle of wine with our meal. The food was outstanding and the price was also.a bottle of wine,two specials,and desert came to 68.00 plus tip.there was ample parking and the restaurant was spotless. Would highly recommend Red Fish Grill

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Hyatt54
West Haven, Connecticut
“Great Food & Service”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My family & I had the pleasure of dining at the Red Fish Grill for Mother's Day. Our server Jamie was prompt & Pleasant. Everyone cleaned their plates & thought the food was great. I had fillet & lobster tail made perfectly. We all agreed we will be returning to this restaurant again!

• Visited May 2014