“No Place For A Seasoned Traveler”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Plainville
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Plainville
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I booked three rooms for myself and two business associates as we were unable to get reservations for four consecutive nights at a hotel closer to our office. I was leery at first, having not stayed at a Fairfield but gave them the benefit of the doubt. The property while not exactly easy to find is in a good location. That said, the story takes a turn. On the initial night, I made sure the front desk understood on my reservation, there were two additional associates (both of whom like myself are seasoned travelers) that would arrive late-night or after midnight, and gave instructions to please accommodate them, and call me if there was an issue. One of my associates arrived, got his room and that was that (or so I thought). The next day, I learned from our other associate that when she checked-in, she was sent up to her room, only to find a sports jacket hanging in the closet, thought it odd, and then noticed a man in the bed sitting straight up. They exchanged words in some form, and my late-arriving associate left the room and went down to the front desk. The desk clerk was not only unsympathetic, but also asked why she went to the wrong room. It defies logic that a guest would be asked such a question by the very person who assigns rooms and hands out keys. Ultimately, an unoccupied room was assigned to my late-arriving colleague and that was that (or so we thought). Both of my associates were contacted the next day by the front desk who were in some-fashion apologetic, however, they called at 7:30am. There is no logical reason to do this to a person who has arrived around 1am. The lack of common sense of the front desk clerk was astounding by any standard. Post-script: when met at the office that morning, both of them saw me independently and each told me the oddest story about either entering an occupied room or having been barged in upon by another traveler. IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE VICTIMS WERE BOTH MY TWO ASSOCIATES WHO HAD NEVER PREVIOUSLY MET! Road-warrior war stories aside, this was just the kind of story that is every seasoned traveler's nightmare.

All of the above aside, the property is poorly laid-out, garishly decorated, with the profuse odor of an aerosol disinfectant so strong in the air that even the most casual and disinterested observer would have to conclude it is overwhelming. The rooms themselves while small were adequate and generally comfortable, however, I found it impossible to regulate the temperature (vis-a-vis) thermostat set at 70, woke-up in the morning and although it still registered 70, it was much colder to the extent it felt like winter had set in.

Having not stayed at a Fairfield Inn prior, I had no preconceived notion(s) regarding their complimentary breakfast. With that in-mind, I can truthfully say it was poor at-best and so unappealing in its display and form, I avoided it. There were two chafing dishes of hot products and the remainder was a careless assortment of cold foods. To make the breakfast even less appealing is the fact that the door to the "kitchen" was left open, at least one bag of garbage was visible in the doorway, and the coffee service area was littered with cups, used sweetener packages and other debris. The breakfast service at this hotel is an oxymoron - they might as well not bother offering it.

Here is the coup de grace - they have flat panel televisions that are going at all times in the breakfast area (constant noise). There was another one in the lobby playing a video loop extolling the virtues of Fairfield Inn. The tag-line "Staying Is Believing". I don't know what the marketing folks mean by that but if it means staying once and never returning, it is accurate and correct.

As I have said several times, this was my first Fairfield Inn experience and I have no plans to return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank bnajf
Deepak N, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Plainville, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your feed back, we really appreciate your time, we apologize and regreat that we could not meet your expectation or provide you with the service to your satisfaction. Your feed back will help us improve and train our staff in the areas of improvement as described by your comments.
Thanks...GM

Reviewed 20 June 2014

OK, there are always positives and negatives to a place, so keep that all in mind. This place was an interesting bag of nuts, that’s for sure. The room was big, clean and the beds were amazingly comfortable. I got one heck of a great night’s sleep, which I needed. I would have liked about two more hours though.

Check in was no issue, same with check out. Parking was easy and it was extremely easy to find the place.

As noted, the room was quite big. Big enough where a small table easily could have been added for some convenience. The beds were nice, though there were only two chairs – one for the desk and one regular chair, but it was tucked up next to one bed. The TV was pretty solid with selection for channels, though I wasn’t there enough to watch a ton.

The bathroom was big enough and the shower had good water power. The towels were pretty nice and decently fluffy, which is always a good thing.

As for the hotel itself, the small business center was nice, the pool seemed pretty small and the 24-hour fitness room looked pretty good. There was a little “store” where you could purchase snacks and all, but I didn’t really look at it. There’s a nighttime security measure in place where you need to swipe your card to get in. However, it’s pretty quirky and two of us couldn’t get in. The first had a hard time getting in as the desk person didn’t want to let him in, but eventually did. Kind of silly, especially with the key card and willingness to give any info needed. I am all for security, but common sense needs to be taken into consideration, too.

In the morning, I was highly disappointed with the breakfast, which was pretty touted as being a good hot breakfast. There were scrambled eggs and turkey sausage. No waffle makers or anything like that. Bagels, muffins and cereals were also available. I’m not saying it’s bad, but if you are going to say you have a good hot breakfast, do it up. In other hotels in the Marriott chain I’ve been to, the breakfasts are way better. This was only disappointing because we ended up needing to go find somewhere to eat to have a little substance.

In the end, the stay was pretty solid and I would stay there again. It was clean and I got a great night’s sleep, which is why I give this place a high mark.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank softball29
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Madeline, Jennifer and Nancy are THE best!!! They made our stay at this very nice, clean and comfortable hotel a pleasure. I do not want to leave out the other day and night managers either but cannot remember their names but they also went out of their way for us. We will gladly stay here again and look forward to the pub next door being finished. The beds are quite comfortable also!!

1  Thank Katheen M
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We arrived very late on Friday evening, after 10pm, and yet we were greeted by Jennifer with a warm and welcoming smile.
(I apologize that I cant recall EVERYONE'S names!)
Nice location, very clean!
The hotel is just off of the exit, and there are ample places to eat in the area. The property does not currently have a restaurant, however they are opening a Pub (it was under construction) - the location of the PUB is not near the rooms, so you don't hear them working.
Hot Breakfast buffet, replenished often.
VERY Comfortable/Large rooms, Beds are amazing, and HUGE bathroom.
Wil

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Clean, clean, clean, and the entire staff is friendly and helpful. Using Marriott points for a free stay made it even better.

We have stayed at a number of Fairfield Inn hotels, and love them all.

This particular hotel is in the process of adding a restaurant and bar which will make it even more fantastic.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

My complaint about this hotel is that I'm not really sure that I actually received my company's discount rate. The reservation booking, which I did by telephone, was confusing when it came to that discount as in I was quoted a price for a room with 2 queen beds and a price for a king bed, we wanted the king, so then it seemed like the operator booked the one with 2 queens so I had to correct him, and we were talking about the discount and I'm pretty sure he then quoted me that the discounted rate was the same rate he had already quoted me earlier. I dunno.

The hotel was as expected, easy to find, clean, the room was large in comparison to the two we had stayed at earlier in the week, and the bathroom was larger, too, I was happy to find. We did have to ask for more pillows which were delivered promptly. Usually you'd find an extra in the closet. There was no telephone book in the room which we had hoped to use to find a restaurant. The hair dryer was in the closet so I suppose some might not see it/find it. I find it odd when hotels put towel rods and towels IN the shower. This bathroom had room to locate it outside of the shower. I personally didn't care for the mattress. Found it soft around the edges. It would kind of collapse when one sat on the edge.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Great location near the interstate.
Got an awesome awesome on priceline. On the book it now. Not the bid side of their sites.
Excellent staff and great room.
Huge parking lot and excellent breakfast. .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NBAdvisor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainville
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Red Roof Inn Hartford - New Britain
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#6 of 6 in Farmington

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Plainville? Share your experiences!