“Sharpe Hill Vineyard”

Sharpe Hill Vineyard
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Pomfret
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Very nice place to spend some time sampling the wines. The place was pretty crowded on a Saturday evening, so service was somewhat slow. The vineyards are very scenic. I was not aware of any tours or walks being offered, so basically you sit or stand in a fenced in area tasting the wines.
Had inquired about the restaurant and was told reservations had to be made weeks in advance with a deposit. Our wine server said the food was fantastic, but expect to pay $$$$$. If I had dinner my overall rating may have been higher.

All reviews
"antiques"
in 3 reviews
"servers"

Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I had the rare opportunity to have lunch without our children. We dined at Sharpe Hill Vineyard and were not disappointed! They suggest an hours time for wine tasting. I mistakenly did not allow for enough time. They have you find a comfy spot in the shade under the trees overlooking the vines and they come to you with each tasting-no standing at a bar swigging them one after another. Next time I will order their wonderful fruit and cheese plate for during the tasting. The gentleman in charge of the tastings on the day we were there (Anton) was phenomenal! How he kept everyone's individual tastings in his head I will never know. After our tasting, we went to the garden dining area for lunch. Our server Miriam was knowledgeable and provided a lovely dining experience. I wish I took a picture of my food-it was as delicious as it was beautiful. Word to the wise-do NOT go here if you are in a rush! This place is meant to be savored, like the wine. Enjoy!

1  Thank darcya33764
Reviewed 6 July 2014

If you are reading this page, then you are considering visiting a place that you must see! Make a reservation for "lunch" or dinner, arrive 45 minutes to an hour before your reservation, taste the full flight under the trees and experience an ambience unlike any other you're likely to see on the east coast. The laid back vibe, gorgeously appointed buildings, grounds and dining courtyard coupled with the friendly service will blow you away. It certainly did us.
I place the word "lunch" in quotes, as it seems such an inadequate description of the fine dining experience we had. We started with the cheese and fruit plate as appetizer (a must-have, high-end selection that will put you in foodie heaven). In our party of four, we ordered two servings of filet mignon, a Delmonico steak and the lamb chop. Each was thoroughly enjoyed. My Delmonico was superbly prepared with a dry rub that knocked it out of the park. After a while, I realized I had stopped talking and I became conscious that I was only making sounds of delight. I also tasted the filet mignon. It was so tender that I'm sure it could be enjoyed without teeth!
We all enjoyed the meal with a bottle of the St. Croix, a great pairing, and also my first exposure to the grape. It was thoroughly enjoyable. After topping it off with a decadent chocolate torte and tri-chocolate mousse with a double espresso, we were entirely satiated.
Both our tasting pourer and our lunch server were personable, the latter adding even to that great meal.
Do yourself a favor: spend a few hours with good friends in this beautiful setting. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank William J
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stopped by for a wine tasting and really enjoyed ourselves. We went for the full slate of wines, so 12 wines for $12 tasting, which is pretty good for this area. Dry wines are the type we tend towards, and most of their wines are dry/semi-dry, so we liked them all. Loved four of them enough to bring home bottles :) In any case, it's a good deal, and a nice place. You pay at the counter, then they send you out to a nice shaded grassy area outside with comfortable seating, and they bring the wine to you. The server was very friendly and gave us decent pours, and we had a good time relaxing overlooking the vines. We will certainly go back, it was a nice experience, especially on a beautiful day, and the wines are good and reasonably prices. It's worth the drive.

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I had been excited to go to Sharpe Hill for quite some time, I am glad I got it out of my system. The young man who was a server on the deck on Sunday in April had zero personality. I told him I was only interested inthe reds. With a smirk on his little face, he poured me a Riesling. I paid for a 1/2 tasting - $7.00 for 5 samples, a decent price. When they say sample, it is not enough for an ant. It was actually insulting and embarrasing. I would say the samples were 1/2 a shot glass.

Rather than asking me what I would like to sample next off the tasting menu, he chose everything for me in the order he preferred. Most reds were light/medium body and dry, there was only one hearty red that was to my liking. I will stick with the Ballet of Angels. The atmosphere was ho hum, dull and boring.

1  Thank Anna T