“Entertaining cheap sleep”
Review of Riverdale Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portland
Riverdale Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portland
Atlanta
“Entertaining cheap sleep”
Reviewed 31 December 2009

We stayed at the Riverdale for a long weekend. Large, clean rooms with lots of parking right outside the door. The highlight was the two old guys in the office. This is like hearing Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy in person and they are probably not much younger! These guys feed each other lines with a straight face that had us laughing all the way home.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ArrigoniBridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 October 2009

I stayed at the Riverdale Motel on the evening of Friday, Sept 16, 2009, in Room # 50, in the main building, the one closest to the river.

At first appearances, the Motel looked very nice and clean, the room was spacious and comfortable, the desk staff very friendly. Looked like a very nice place, and was very convenient to my destinations.

BUT....

When I woke up on Saturday Morning, Sept 17, I found numerous blood spots on the bed sheets, and around a dozen bedbugs which I "terminated" vial the thumb squash method.

About a week later, when all the bed bug bites finally "blossomed", the true extent of the infestation was made quite clear, I had well over one hundred bites (small red, very itchy, welts all over my arms, legs and feet. I wore shorts and T-shirt when I slept, so my body was somewhatr protected, just the exposed areas got bitten.

Maybe only Room #50 has this bedbug infestation, but I would advise any traveller to BEWARE! and make sure that you get a non-infested room! Stay away from Room #50!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
6 Thank Peregrine47

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

New York
Reviewed 7 September 2009

09/06/09
Stayed over one night over Labor Day Weekend. The place is clean, quiet and inexpensive. It's only about 2 miles from Middletown where there are plenty of places to eat. The towels are thick and fluffy too.
I plan to stay again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mylifercn
Reviewed 25 May 2004

Had a great visit to Riverdale at Easter time.
Enjoyed the morning coffee.
Was impressed by the large size of the room.
Also liked the in-room fridge.
It was clean and comfortable. A great deal for the money.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 July 2002

My mother loves this place. It is clean and friendly. Mom is 86 and lives in the southern tier of New York and we always stay at Riverdale when I bring her to my house. It is a full day drive from her home and then we just have a short trip the next day. There is a young lady at the desk who is a Connecticut encyclopedia! She showed us how to get to Crystal Mall without going on I 95, recommended a restaurant in Brooklyn and knew just where we got lost in Waterbury! Parking is free and well lighted and on the same level as your room. I would recommend Riverdale without hesitation.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 June 2002

I have stayed at the Riverdale Motel many times over the years and felt the need to reply to a review I saw on this site. The reviewer is obviously basing their opinion solely on what they have seen driving past the Riverdale. The motel is made up of two buildings. The older building(a Portland landmark for well over 50 years) faces the road and sometimes people think that s all there is to the place. The second building is newer and set back off the road, making it a very quiet place to stay. I have never had any problems with the other guests and neither have my children. The parking lots are well lit and all entrances to the buildings are easily visible. The main building is equipped with security cameras which can be monitored from the front desk, which is staffed 24 hours a day. There is even complientary coffee and pastry offered in the office in the mornings. There may not be a lot to do within walking distance of the Riverdale, but most of Connecticut is within a 30 minute drive. It's one of the only places to stay on that side of the river and is a lot easier to get into than the hotels associated with the casinos (which are about 45 minutes away), not to mention more affordable. I know I may sound a little effusive and almost like I'm trying to advertise the Riverdale, but I have had nothing but good experiences in my stays there. In fact, during one of my stays there was a group of nuns in the rooms down the hall. Not exactly the seedy types another reviewer would have you believe frequent this establishment.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Inn at Middletown
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#3 of 4 in Cromwell
Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford

Been to Riverdale Motel? Share your experiences!