“A lovely and quaint place”

Captain Grant's, 1754
Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
Valley Cottage, NY
“A lovely and quaint place”
Reviewed 29 June 2009

This Inn was fabulous. It was so warm and welcoming. The rooms were amazing and the grand staircase when you first walk in will blow you away! The owners were very friendly, ate breakfast with you, and gave you excellent recommendations. This is a must stay! But plan in advance, it books up fast.

Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
New Jersey
Reviewed 13 January 2009

My boyfriend and I decided to spend 3 nights at Captain Grants to get away from the city. Ted was there to greet us and offered to help with our luggage. He showed us to our room (the Adelaide room). He even recommened some of his favorite restaraunts in the area and gave us tickets for a free dessert or a glass of wine at another restaraunt. He gave us a map of the area and also let us know that we could help ourselves to the delicious cake and cookies, or beverages in the fridge which was wine, beer, and soda. The first night we stayed we had the whole house to ourselves (Ted and Carol live in a different house off to the side which was cool because it gave us even more privacy). Breakfast was quite the event and consisted of many different dishes. Since I am allergic to cheese, Ted amd Carol made sure that I had my own seperate dish. All three mornings they cooked a completely different breakfast and it was amazing each time...especially the homemade jams! We met some wonderful people at breakfast to. The fire Ted made each morning was a nice touch and made it very cozy. There is an old creepy cemetery in the back of the house which was cool to check out if you are into that kind of thing. If you want an awesome dinner, you should go to Bravo Bravo which is in Mystic. My boyfriend and I love to eat out and are critics and this place was amazing. Its a bit pricey but definitely worth it!!! There is also a really cool pizza place in Mystic called Pizzetta which is also very good. We may have had a run in with Lady Adelaide in our room late one night. All of a sudden we heard the sound of the shower curtain violently opening. It was SO loud and we rushed to the bathroom to see the shower curtain wide open. We both looked at eachother and laughed because we thought it was such an odd thing to occur. You'd expect footsteps or something in a haunted room....not the shower curtain flinging open lol. It was very odd. All in all it was a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. I would love to go back and try out a different room. The breakfast was definitely one of the highlights!!!!

• Liked — The breakfast and the beds
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
southington
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Our stay at Captain Grants was very enjoyable. The innkeepers are very friendly and informative. The inn location is good. The breakfasts are fantastic. The room we had (Elizabeth) was very nice and clean with private bath,gas fireplace,tv,dvd player . Overall the structure is very nice with lots of history. The grounds are also very nice. And Molly the cat is very friendly. nothing to complain about here.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank fauxmad
Wallkill, NY
Reviewed 8 December 2008

I took my husband to Capt. Grants for a birthday weekend surprise. We got in a bit late, around 8:15 pm. Ted appeared out of no where to assist with our luggage!! Check in was smooth, and Ted was ready with suggestions for where we could get a nice meal. Our room, the Adelaide, was beautiful! The pictures on the web site don't do it justice! We were told to help ourselves to cake, cookies, and a fridge full of soda, water and wine. Breakfasts were to die for! The best cream cheese eggs that I ever tasted, and the food was really all you can eat! For you "must have coffe" people---like me----the coffee was excellent! We ate at the second breakfast, and Ted and Carol were able to sit with us as breakfast wound down. Carol is a font of wonderful info on the houses and the surrounding area. As the web site press page says, there are some spooky happennings that go on at Capt. Grants, which was one reason that it appealed to me. Well, I won't say what things happened, I will just tell you to go and experience it for yourself !! LOL All together a REALLY great place to stay! Thank you Ted and Carol for running such a beautiful B&B!! WE WILL GO BACK!! DD

• Liked — It was a very well run B&B very comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank piratewoman
new haven, ct
Reviewed 14 October 2008

After reading the Captain Grant's web site and reviews here at TripAdvisor, I called the inn regarding a room for the busy holiday weekend. They had one room left, which I promptly booked. Ah, I pictured how it would be, looking at the photos on the website...and it looked just like that. Except our room wasn't in the inn - it was next door in an old home where Ted and Carol live. I was very surprised because having stayed in many B&B's,m which often have annexes, it is always noted that some of the rooms are not in the main home. There was nothing on the website that I recall (if it is there I just don't remember it and I read it several times) that said these two particular rooms were in another house, and none of the reviews here mentioned it (nobody who wrote a review stayed in either of those rooms).

That being said, the room was exactly as pictured online, but I will say I did miss not being in the main house, and having to waltz across the spacious manicured lawn if I wanted some of the legendary snacks or a soda...pretty much precluded any late night snack attacks! Also, the inn where our room was is much closer to the road (they have a white noise machine to help drown out the noise) which, whilst it may seem a country road is, of course, smack dab between the world's two largest casinos, with tour buses barrelling down it at all hours of the day and night. Also, the doors to our room were glass French doors with lace and a not-entirely-opaque panel which didn't seem the most private. We however aren't bothered by road noise and the house is so quiet we never felt people were roaming the hall on the other side of our li'l glass doors, so if that doesn't bother you and you lke Victorian, it's the room for you. (I would say that they nailed the decor so well I felt like I was in my mother's cousin's old house in upstate New York, which hasn't changed since her mother decorated it in the early 1900's, which was a decidedly weird experience).

Breakfast is indeed the high point; the blini-like pancakes are among the best I've eaten and the eggs are great. Jams, syrups and meats also sooo tasty. Carol and Ted have some great stories about renovating the place and breakfast is the time to chat them up for this added entertainment. And speaking of entertainment, Ted and Carol have an extensive collection of movies which make for nice watching snuggled in the high beds - DVD and VCR in rooms. They are very nice about letting you pick a stack. If you're not gamblers and like just being in the inn in the evenings like we did, this is a nice option. Have a glass of the sherry, relax, unwind.

The price is lower than most B & B's I've stayed at (except for Kansas!). Just be aware that the Margaret room (ours) and one other one are not in the main house.

• Liked — The food
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sullific
Niles, Ohio
Reviewed 12 October 2008

Our stay at Captain Grant's, 1754 was truly wonderful! Carol and Ted are certainly gifted at innkeeping. I was most impressed that my mother and I were met at our car upon arrival. Ted graciously carried our luggage into our room and provided us with written directions to local restaurants and tourist sites. We had a wonderful room on the second floor of the main house. While the house has all the charm of a 250 plus year old home, it did not have any problems of old homes. The first floor has two sitting rooms for guests complete with beautiful antique furniture. There is also a lovely patio for guests! Carol and Ted provide tea, coffee, soda, beer, wine, and homemade mid-day snacks for their guests. In addition, there is complementary sherry in the guest rooms. I have to say that my favorite part of the stay was the wonderful breakfast. Carol and Ted made unbelievable breakfasts consisting of fruit, eggs, breakfast meats and pancakes. They also served homemade blueberry syrup and jam, that was available for purchase. All of the guests ate with Ted and Carol sharing conversation. The table was set with beautiful china sets both mornings of our stay.

Overall our stay was perfect! I highly recommend Captain Grants!

• Liked — innkeepers
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank socgrad
NJ
Reviewed 19 September 2008

Stayed there starting Aug. 16th and left on the 18th. I would agree all the other reviewers' comments about Carol and Ted being gracious and breakfast was delicious. The inn was nice as well and comfortable--until we got bitten. We arrived very late and very tired so we went straight to bed. The next morning, I woke up with a few itchy bites and I hoped they were merely mosquito bites from the previous evening. By mid-day, the bites became more itchy, more pronounced, and appeared in a row on my arm. GF also had bites on her legs. By the time we got back to the inn from the concert, it was again very late so we didn't get a chance to speak with either Carol or Ted, and therefore just decided to turn in and hope for the best since we were going to leave very early in the morning anyway. Woke up with some more bites on my legs but not as much as my arms from the night before. The first thing we did when we got home was buy a bug bomb and fumigate our home and our opened luggage, just in case we carried any bugs home. I am still not sure whether they were fleas or bedbugs but I am still itching now even though it is a month later and I am afraid the bites might scar. The bites exuded pus for almost two weeks and some are still swollen. No big deal right? Try wearing a dress shirt and pants over wounds. Yes, we have mementos alright, but not the ones anybody would like to have.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Bug bites
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
5 Thank Ed08NJ
CaptaiGrants, owner at Captain Grant's, 1754, responded to this review, 26 September 2008
We have never responded to a guest comment before, not wanting too seem overly defensive. However, the above allegations are so damaging to our reputation, we are obliged to reply. First of all, we are checked regularly by a professional exterminator service and have never had bugs. Immediately after receipt of this complaint, we had our exterminator inspector come in and do an inspection. He gave the Inn a clean bill of health. We do not have any idea what affected these guests and are sorry they believe Captain Grant’s was responsible for their discomfort. We and other guests have subsequently slept in the room and have not had any problems.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
Mohegan Sun
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
#1 of 5 in North Stonington
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!