“Decent food, service & prices but the people make it worth the visit.”
Review of Parke's Place - CLOSED

Parke's Place
Reviewed 14 August 2014

For less money than the Hilton Garden Inn charges for breakfast in Preston, CT, we found Parke's Place a good find. The portions are fine, the service good and the coffee very good. As other reviewers have noted the coffee refills keep coming without having to ask.

The variety of breakfast food had everything we could have wanted, including home-made corned beef hash. A pleasant surprise was their ability to properly cook poached eggs. Too many places overcook them.

It's a family owned business started by Parke and sold to the current owner - his daughter Beverly. With other family members they take care of their customers - especially the "regulars". They watch for cars pulling into the parking lot to know when to go out to the car and assist customers into the facility. Same thing when they are leaving - including walking them to their cars with an umbrella if it is raining as it was for us. To say they are customer focused doesn't even come close.

The banter and teasing between clients and staff is a laugh a minute - and you're free to join in! Past and current military personnel seem to be a mainstay of their business. Sure there are old photos and memorabilia on the walls, and it creates a dated appearance. To us it was part of the charm! It's clean - everywhere. It's a diner, not a gourmet restaurant.

Do yourself a favor when at Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun and leave those places and eat a meal with some real winners. (Breakfast and lunch only) Next time we are in that area we will make sure we schedule our trip around their Friday fish specials!

1  Thank dijimbob

Reviewed 24 May 2014

While recently attending the FBI Indoor Post Blast Investigator Training class held at Mohegan Sun we had a field exercise just over the river. Mohegan Sun can provide you with just about everything you can imagine but once you leave the property you are pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The only dining choice during the field exercise were a catering truck, (aka roach coach), brown bag or venture out into the monsoon which was occurring at the time and hopefully strike pay dirt.

I had passed by this place earlier (7:50 AM) while searching for a place to get a cup of coffee but was not sure if it was open because it looked deserted. I decided to try my luck and headed back there. I was surprised to find that the lights were on nd the small parking lot was full.

Inside I found a diner right out of central casting in Hollywood. The smiling waitress who greeted you like she had not seen you since the day before, the truckers having coffee, the young couple making some sort of plans which caused them both to stop, stare at each other then giggle, and last but not least the gray bearded gentlemen.sitting at the end of the counter solving the problems of the world. Holy Mayberry!

The food was good, not great, but more than reasonably priced. Make sure you ask for condiments for your to go order or they will not be included. Breakfast is served all day and the coffee is hot strong and tasty.

This place rates a solid 3 stars on atmosphere alone if it were fancier it might appeal to more people but this seemed like a local crowd with just a few out of towners sprikled in to keep it interesting. Would I go out of my way to eat here.....No......but if it was on my way I would have no qualms about stopping for a classic American diner meal.

2  Thank BDragoncop
Reviewed 19 May 2014

While I appreciate the local feel of the restaurant, I'd suggest trying to find something else in the area.

The place is less of a diner (as other reviewers have suggested) and more of a small restaurant with countertop seating. It was fairly clean, but very outdated, and not in a charming way. It was just tired.

My wife ordered the spinach, ham and cheese omelet off the specials board and asked if they could substitute the swiss for American cheese. The waitress said that wouldn't be a problem. However, the omelet was not an omelet. It was what my father used to call a Western (or Eastern). It was scrambled eggs with the other ingredients mixed in and all of it was then fried together. When this was brought out, there was no home fries or toast provided. We pointed out that they were shown on the specials board, but the waitress was sort of confused by the request.

My wife passed on the toast as she had requested a slice of french toast. They did not have the 'Texas', or thick slice toast on their menu and offered Portuguese bread instead. This was just okay, but thin.

I ordered the "Brando", which was basically two pancakes, eggs with cheese, and sausage. What makes it the "Brando" is apparently taking one of the pancakes and putting it ON TOP of the eggs and sausage. Not innovative a concept enough to warrant a special name on the menu.

The menu itself is somewhat sparse and they sell pancakes and french toast by the slice (or cake). It's layout and choices were just disappointing.

We felt prices were high for what you got. Service was okay in the beginning, but slowed down on the back end.

Cannot recommend.

Reviewed 26 December 2012

We were staying at Foxwoods and looking for a diner for breakfast. Parke's showed up on Yelp. The diner was about 10 minutes away. The outside is a little plain and run-down looking, but don't let that fool you. The food is really good, with big comfortable portions. The place serves breakfast and lunch only. We had breakfast - both of us had omelets. We "made our own", choosing ingredients.
As good as the food is, it's the friendliness of the place that got to me. Our waitress was a real sweetheart, chatted with us just enough, kept our coffee mugs filled and remembered who had decafe.
The prices were very fair and they take plastic.
If you're in SE Connecticut and are looking for a comfortable local place for breakfast, Parkes is your destination.

2  Thank Roadrailer