“An Absolute Gem”
Review of Stonehenge Inn

Stonehenge Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ridgefield
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Spent a great night at Stonehenge Inn after after arriving from time in Paris. The staff were exceptionally friendly and all went out of their way to ensure we were looked after.
The Carvery meal was great value and is a credit to the chef, both in presentation and taste - great range to select from.
Spent the night in the bar with locals and had a great night with many laughs - a great environment - warm, friendly and a good range to select from.
The room has been very tastefully upgraded and was very comfortable - the only downside being the en-suite shower which was extremely difficult to regulate.
The Stonehenge Inn is a credit to management and staff and will become very popular with good referral rates and repeat business gained through their focus on customer satisfaction. If we were based in the UK we would return frequently.
Great for the night before doing the Stonehenge visit or as a stopover.
Highly recommended!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Stonehenge Inn

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I had a meeting in Ridgefield and looked for a hotel. After I read the critics here on Tripadvisor, I was a bit worried whether the Stonehenge Inn would be the right choice. It was. It is a lovely place. The Stonehenge Inn is a hotel with character. The restaurant is great, the service familiar and the atmosphere sterling.

The hotel is in an old wooden house. The rooms are huge. The interior is old fashioned, but pretty and charming. Everything works fine and is clean. I loved the place for its New England charme and style.

Room Tip: There are two buildings, the garden house where you have to walk to the restaurant and the main buil...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Maximilian K
Reviewed 2 October 2013

A conference put us up at Stonehenge. We had stayed there many years ago and remembered it fondly.

They put us in the guest cottage, which has very spacious, lovely rooms. Unfortunately, things did not go so well. The couch etc. were threadbare, the bed was once a fine bed but now is hard and lumpy, there is no wifi in the guest cottage, and some time in the night, there was a plumbing accident, so we had no water in the morning. Accidents happen, but when I tried to call the desk at 6:50 a.m. no one was there. And no one was there for another 20 minutes, until I left and went to the conference center to find a place to shave etc.

We did not watch TV, but if we had wanted to, it was an old one--not adequate for an upscale place in 2013.

Room Tip: Unless they fix up the guest cottage, maybe the main house is better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed overnight here in August. The room was clean and extremely large for a single room. The bed was a four polestered double bed. it was kind of stiff but that's how I like it. The room was freshly wall papered. The bath room appeared to be right out of the sixties with black and white tile. However all the regular amenities were there. They were plenty of towels shampoo and hair dryer. The next morning up continental breakfast was served with coffee and croissant. The coffee was hot and the croissant was fresh. The only thing that was missing for me would have been an extra blanket. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Spent a night at the Inn after dining in the restaurant. Wish I could say that the accommodations were as good as the food. The room was large enough but nothing special. The mattress was very, very hard. The paper was peeling off the wall in the bathroom and the sink was rusted and stained around the drain. Breakfast consisted of orange juice ( not freshly squeezed) croissants (flaky and flavorful) with a couple of packs of strawberry jelly ( I'm allergic) and vile coffee that seemed to left over from the previous night.

This is delivered on a tray and left outside the door on the floor. Ewwwww.

Not the Inn experience that I expected.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Onthegogirl_11
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Based on our experience, I would say that many of the reviews treated Stonehenge way too harshly. First of all, the restaurant was fine. I had the mushrooms-in-puff-pasty appetizer and the rack of lamb, and both were excellent. My wife, a pescetarian, just had the gravlox appetizer and a salad and she found them just average.

While the room was hardly imaginative in its decor, it was clean and nice. The setting around the inn was lovely. The only real problem was one that others have mentioned: the super-firm mattresses gave both my wife and myself a backache. We mentioned this to the on-site managers, who said that there is some of padding available, but we were not told this until we were leaving (we were there two nights) even though we had complained after the first night.

We did not have breakfast there since my wife is gluten-free and they have only continental breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rickbk
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Somewhat off the beaten path, the winding, wooded roads leading to the Stonehenge Inn promise a bit more bucolic setting than is actually the case, owing to a bustling thoroughfare close to one side of the property. But the setting remains a lovely one, chiefly for a wooded pond at one side of the house--a restful vista, indeed.

The rooms are nicely appointed and pleasant for a morning of quiet reading. The mattress is at the extreme side of "firm," which will either appeal or not, depending on one's preference.

To this general favorable impression, however, there were small things that pull in the opposite direction . . . things that, given the price, were unexpected. For instance, the friendly woman at reception, in giving me the room key, noted that it was difficult to use, and so it proved with lots of jiggling and negotiating required. Surely an easy bit of maintenance was all that was required, and it was surprising this had not been done. Similarly, the knob controlling the water flow and temperature in the shower all but came off in my hand, and was difficult to use. Once again, a bit of maintenance would have easily set this right (as it would have done with the missing light in the bathroom, as well.) The breakfast was "continental," to be served between 8:00 and 8:30. Ours arrived at about 8:29--technically on time, but frustrating in pushing the limits. The croissant was of the plastic-wrapped variety--I had hoped for something a bit more less removed from the bakery, but still not a bad taste.

These are the kinds of complaints that on their own are not all that large, but taken together they weigh more heavily, especially in an accommodation that is not "discount." The two-night stay was fine--we were in town to see relatives--but the small glitches made the price-tag seem steep.

We'd return, but likely with a different set of expectations.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank appellation
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgefield
Ethan Allen Hotel
#3 of 15 in Danbury
EVEN Hotel Norwalk
EVEN Hotel Norwalk
#1 of 12 in Norwalk

Been to Stonehenge Inn? Share your experiences!