“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Despite the mixed reviews we tried this restaurant last weekend, we went along with my in laws, first impressions were not great, though the pub is in a pretty village location, there is a general air of neglect about the place, we were handed menus in the bar by a very young waiter (teen) he was polite enough but didn't have a clue what was on offer and had to keep popping in to the kitchen to ask. Between us we ordered rump steak, well done, rib eye steak med rare, rump of lamb,x2 we had asked for vegetables too, the lamb dishes were nice enough, but the veg (dish of three) over cooked cabbage, practically raw carrots and a couple of runner beans. The steaks were not cooked as ordered with the rump very bloody when it should have been well done, the rib eye steak was the most disappointing, really thin, this dish alone with a sauce came to around £20, it was like a cheap quick fry steak from the economy counter in a supermarket, tasteless too. We enquired about desserts and some woman from the kitchen plonked a board on the table, as all the desserts were stodgy, we ordered liquor coffees, if you visit, don't bother with these, £4 for an instant coffee with squirty cream, not even floating and couldn't taste the alcohol in these at all. This place could be improved very easily, table clothes would be a nice touch instead of marked scratched tables, get rid of the cheap paper tissues and use napkins, teach waiting staff what is available, how to carry food and drinks and to be pleasant and smile. In all honesty the nicest member of staff we encountered was the young lad who through no fault of his own is not experienced in how to wait tables and serve. The landlord actually walked away in the midst of us ordering drinks and was then annoyed when he returned with the wrong order. The bill comes up and is not itemised, so hard to be precise about prices. I looked at other meals being served and thought the fish dishes look like the came straight from freezer to oven, ice lands if I had to hazard a guess. This place has potential, but the current staff don't make an effort and the food is below average, our bill for four meals, 2pints and 3 coffees was £82. Will not be returning unless I hear it's under new management, there are so many better places to eat in Kent, just omit this one,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

After waiting at the unstaffed bar for 10 mins,a local chap took pity on me and shouted out for service at which point a female appeared with a face like thunder.Welcome to the maypole,I thought.we went along at 6.30pm Tuesday ,I asked grumpy if I could order food for the beer garden and she said I could but she was on her own and I would have to be patient as she also had to serve the bar.we had nachos for starters and a burger and scampi as mains...food was excellent,but on first impressions we won't be returning.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Absolutely fabulous home cooked food. All 6 of us had an amazing meal. Staff very attentive, made a few tweaks to the menu to accommodate our preferences. Well worth a visit. Will definitely return soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Had a quick lunch here today for the first time. Sorry to say we found the food poor. The bacon in my wife's classic BLT was not even warm, shame because the bread used was fine. The side salad on Both our meals was badly wilted and obviously way past it's sell by date, you did not need to be an expert to see that. My steak baguette initially looked great (not including side salad) but unfortunately was obviously left sitting around as when I took a bite it to was not hot or even warm. I spoke to the manager regarding the possibility that the baguette did not contain cheese as advertised, the kitchen said it did, so I did not bother to tell him about the other issues, wish I did now. Was it a one off poor day? I don't know, however I think I will eat elsewhere from now on, this is a shame as this area is not exactly blessed with good eating options everyone seems intent on the race to the bottom approach of two courses for a fiver etc.

1  Thank ACL505
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Booked a table for four at the Maypole for 2 o'clock, arrived at 13:30 and the table was already reserved with condiments available. We were seated to our table by friendly staff and they happily toom our orders of a roast dinner. The service was quick and sufficient, asking if there was anything else we needed for our table. The roast was absolutely delicious. Everything was cooked perfectly, especially the Yorkshire puddings! (YUM). Overall an absolutely brilliant experience, for a very reasonable price! Will return again soon!