“Great quality for a good price”

Asahi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 70 Restaurants in Rocky Hill
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Was here in CT on business, and wanted to find something close by and relatively quick. My brain was fried and really couldn't come up with something I wanted to eat there (other than a large beer that was a necessity at that point). They gave me an "all you can eat" menu where you could select what you wanted, from a large selection of sushi's and hot dishes. Rather than being your typical "buffet" style, they cooked it to order, as you wanted it. It was substantially better than your typical all you can eat situation. The service was warm and friendly as well--really not much else you can ask for the price. I gave it a 5 considering the great value of the place with the good quality of the food and service.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

Very unassuming little place in bland strip mall with great sushi and noodle soups! Have been a regular since it opened years ago. I've tried other sushi restaurants in area that friends have raved about and they're ok, but still prefer Asahi. Excellent sushi chef, very fresh food. Very friendly owners/staff. Reasonably priced. They advertise an all you can eat lunch buffet, but I've never tried it.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

A friend of mine had highly recommended this place, so we went and tried the all-you-can-eat sushi. I was a bit uncertain about it (since I don't eat a ton), but we tried many different kinds and everything was absolutely delicious! The all-you-can-eat experience is a lot of fun and a great way to try things you normally wouldn't without worrying that you'd waste food.

The staff is friendly and welcomes questions, and the prices are reasonable. The decor is definitely outdated (giving a "stale" feel), but since the sushi was so wonderful, it doesn't matter much.

When eating, I could understand why this place was so popular on a Friday night. I would definitely recommend this to sushi enthusiasts and beginners alike, as well as people looking for a fun dining experience. I will definitely be coming back to Asahi in the near future!

1  Thank sweetbutsourreviews
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We have previously eaten bento box lunches at Asahi, and enjoy the friendly, quick, and helpful service of the staff. I'm not a raw fish lover, but the all-you-can-eat meal experience my friend and I recently tried allows one to eat around the raw fish aspect, and still have lots of fun experimenting with items you would normally not want to "risk" on the menu. We were provided with a menu order form broken into sections containing various types of Japanese food; Sushi, Tempura, Udon noodle soups, broth soups, salads, rice rolls, katsu, desert, etc. Within the sections were choices of shrimp, beef, chicken, vegetable, etc; and sometimes further variations into fried, etc. You can order as many pieces of each item you want and as many types in as many sections; so long as you eat it all when served. We took our pencil and marked items that each of us knew and items we had no idea of what they were, within each section. Then the various courses were served one by one. It was fun sharing our choices. We accompanied the courses with many cups of brown rice tea, which is delicious. Japanese crusine never leaves you feeling stuffed. The total bill for 2 hours of fun was approximately $16 each. We will visit again, and try other items on the all you-can-eat menu, when we have the time for this extensive meal.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

The fish is always fresh and tasty. The staff is very friendly and accommodating