“Great Pizza”

Lorenzo's
Ranked #9 of 15 Restaurants in Sandy Hook
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The pizza is always fantastic! Don't let the size of the restaurant fool you. The food is fabulous. The sauce is great, whether on a pizza or the lasagna, it is a must try! I always start my meal with escargot - delicious! The garlic butter sauce is wonderful and you can use the leftovers to dip the bread in!

Reviewed 5 September 2010

Lorenzo's pizza is FANTASTIC!

I am a total pizza snob, having gone to school in New Haven & eating at Pepe's, Sally's and Modern Apizza for years.

Finally, a 4th TRULY GREAT pizza place...a title previously held by Alforno's in Old Saybrook who once upon a time served the single best pizza (shrimp scampi) ever, but that's another story.

The fact that they can burn the edges just right (a la Pepe's) without a coal fired oven is pretty much the work of a magician.

The sauce is just right, cheese is excellent & the crust is razor thin (albeit a bit boring like Julio's in Southbury).

They use other homemade ingredients as well (sausage & salad dressing).

OK - let's get the "negative" stuff out of the way.

1. Location. If you're using a GPS, it looks hard, but it really isn't. Go to the center of Sandy Hook. Go up the hill (away from Newtown) on Church Hill Rd & KEEP GOING (it turns into Riverside). Don't worry that it starts to look residential & make sure to cross over the highway overpass. It's about 4 miles or so, but you'll run right into it. Pretty simple actually.

2. Decor. Again, if you went to college, you'll recognize the place. Dark, old pine paneling, gas station bathrooms...but, it's a totally comfortable place to have a pizza and a beer. I mean, one guy in there last night had bare feet. And, no need to worry about the kids & how they're dressed, etc. Get the idea? Sit down, order & RELAX!

3. Wait times. Not sure I would wait too long for the Italian food, BUT...think Pepe's or Sally's. Have you ever stood in those impossibly long lines? This pizza is in the same league and at least you get to wait AT A TABLE! Bring a game, crayons, etc. for the kids. They actually have some stuff (crayons, checkers, etc.) on a bookshelf near the front. Or throw a frisbee in the parking lot. It'll come - and it will be worth it. When we got there the waitress told us "There's no wait for pizza. But, we're backed up on Italian food." That made our choice simple.

And, when it came, like I said, "Wow!"

Some places near us are overrated, and I believe paid for it (see Carminuccio's) and others are very good, but you pay for the atmosphere (Julio's).

This place is IT!

My new ranking is now Pepe's, Sally's, Pizzeria Mozza (in LA), LORENZO'S, Modern.

I can't believe Lorenzo's broke into the "Pizza Pantheon"...but, believe me, it's true!

2  Thank DrewC_CT

Been to Lorenzo's? Share your experiences!