“Always a Great Stay”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Shelton
Oxford, Connecticut
“Always a Great Stay”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have stayed in this hotel for the past several years. In total I have stayed about 60+/- nights within three years 2010-2013. I have had nothing but the best service. The rooms are always clean and the bathrooms are spotless. The beds are so comfortable when I lay down I fall asleep very quickly. I love how the television is HUGE and rotates on its base so I can either watch it in the living room or in the bedroom. The cleaning staff really cleans and scrubs...I could have eaten off the floor if I wished. When I first checked in I was in shock. I could not believe how beautiful and luxurious this hotel really is for the amount that I paid. I was quoted $189 at the busiest time of the year and when I asked for a discount, they gave me 10% off just for asking! Hotel.com was more expensive than just asking the front desk for a discount. The front desk staff were super friendly and super accommodating. I was one of the displaced CT residents who had to stay for up to two weeks at a time on two separate occasions. They were so accommodating and even gave me additional discounts. I ended up paying about $140 per night instead of $189. They just gave me an extended stay discount. Make sure that you ask for one if you are staying for a long time. Also the breakfast was amazing. I have paid up to $30 per person for a buffet like this, however it was included for FREE In my room rate. The best was the fresh made-to-order station for omelets. They were HEAVEN. They served oatmeal, cold cereal, bacon, sausage, french toast, pancakes, bread (they have a toaster) and bagels, pastry's, and yogurt with your choice of specialty nuts and fresh fruits. I wish I could afford to live here! It was especially kind to find out that when there was a threat of loss of power they had flashlights for everyone in case the power failed. I call that being considerate. I found that the UNDERGROUND parking can get full quick so I made sure that my vehicle was parked underneath quickly. It is safe and no removal of snow on the roof in the morning. They are pet friendly, however you will have to pay if your pet does something it should not do in the room. I was not charged this fee since my doggies were perfect! You will need to clean up after your dog if they make a #2. They have waste containers and bags outside in the rear of the building, or just take your laundry bag so you can pick up after your pooch. It is just proper etiquette. The best evening meal is the Sierra Chicken! OMG...I stop in just to order a meal to go and sometimes eat there. Its just that good. I can't get enough. The pool is just perfect and warm, the hot-tub is great. The bathrooms in the pool area have a shower and very large restrooms. It is key card required to keep those who do not belong out. The exercise room is awesome! I can't say enough good things about this hotel! The laundry room was CHEAP! Make sure to bring quarters. Everything was just fantastic and my overall experience for over three years and one hotel name change is that I would recommend this to everyone and anyone as an amazing place to stay. I hope my ridiculously long review will help to influence your decision to stay at this hotel...you won't regret it at all, unless your my aunt who regrets having to leave the hotel. She loves it as much as I do! She and my Uncle party at the bar in the evenings when she visits and they make tons of friends!

Room Tip: I love the king bed rooms...they are like a suit. The suits are also very fun to stay in. I love t...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Howard K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Staff is really friendly and always a smile on the face. I love their breakfast choices which is included in the price. There's fresh fruits and made to order omlettes. At first, I was concerned since this is a pet friendly hotel (had a horrible experience before with another pet friend hotel, it was like staying at what it would be like at a smoking room), but this one was clean. However, their cleaning service is inconsistent. I've had great ones and some lousy ones.. They do however, respond quite quickly to any request you have.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The on-line booking process was smooth. No issues at all. Upon arrival at the hotel I was greeted by a very friendly worker. He was very fast and informed me of everything I wanted to know without having to ask. The lobby is very impressive and immaculately clean. It was a bit on the warm side though as were all of the hallways leading to my room. Once in the room everything was as you would expect it to be. The bed was nicely made and the carpet is clean. The bathroom was clean as well with modern fixtures. All of which was in good working order. Except for a chip in the tub that is. The only complaint I have is that there was no anti-skid on the bottom of the tub and it was quite slippery. There could be a little more artwork on the walls in the room though. I do like things on the walls. There was a microwave and a refrigerator in the room along with a decent size flatscreen television. The bed was very comfortable too with plenty of pillows.
The in-room WIFI was very good as well. I tested the speed and was getting 2.1 Mb download and 1.2 Mb upload. Pretty good for any hotel. Overall I am very satisfied with the room I had and the price I paid. I would definitely stay here again.
There are two restaurants within walking distance as well. Chilis and Longhorn Steakhouse.

Room Tip: Avoid a room on the second floor on the backside of the hotel. This is where my room was and you get...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over this past weekend. Booking was little tricky. Their room description was too vague. "Studio sofabed"? Does it mean it is a studio w just sofabed??? Anyway so I called to make reservation instead of using website to book two rooms. Got the confirmation email and a cancellation email next day. I called and apparently hotel don't allow two rooms under single confirmation number? If I hadn't been careful w my email I would not have known about cancellation. When we got to hotel, I had both reservation alive (so three rooms instead of 2) but guy at the front desk was very nice about it. Extended our check out time to 1 without any hassle.
The breakfast that is included w hotel was exceptional. Coffee was available even in the evening in the dining area and it was fresh. Pool was small but clean and ok. Next to lobby was pool table which we didn't get to enjoy. Hotel is next to lot of chain restaurant like chilli's etc. Room was clean and very modern. I'd recommend this hotel to my friends and family

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank travellee
North England
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were not expecting anything too grand, because the prices are so reasonable. So we got a real pleasant surprise, the room/suite was luxurious. This hotel was built only about 3 years ago, so as you might imagine, everything is still in very good condition. The complimentary breakfast was also good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We booked this past Friday and Saturday night to visit my daughter in college. Friday night there was an all night drinking party outside our window; finally around 3:30 am I called the front desk to complain and was told there was nothing they could do because it was a wedding party that booked numurous rooms; since they spent a lot of money they did not want to tell them to stop. So we were left to a sleepless night. We left early on Saturday morning to spend the whole day at my daughter's campus; we returned to the hotel at 10:00 pm to find our hotel door wide open; the deadbolt lock was out which stopped the door from closing. We called the front desk to see what was going on and they said they would send someone up to check it out. We check the whole room and did not find anything missing but it was very unnerving to realize our room was left open all day. Also, the beds were only half made, pillows were still on the floor! The front desk did not offer any excuse except the cleaning people must have left the door open and these things happen once in awhile. Unbelievable! To top it off we were treated to the drinking party outside our window once again until 3:00 am. We were looking forward to a wonderful weekend stay at the Hyatt but were terribly disappointed. They are plenty of options in the area which we will try next time; avoid the Hyatt at all cost!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank NYLiberty
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Overall stay is somewhat disappoint. Mainly the staff. First of we have book the reom we require but when we got to the hotel the room was not available instead staff gave us the other room type without even telling us. Staff uses excuse that we never request it but when we gave him evidence of booking he kept refusing that he did not know what is going on.
Second, the quality of the staff is bad. Some staffs are very discriminated. Because we are asian business man she talked to us in very bad tone comparing to caucasians. When we asked about our package deliver to our room, she talked back that we should check to our room then it was not there. so we came down to check with her again and she acted as if we are bothering her and answered that what do we want her to do. We asked whether the hotel should inform us at least the package arrived so we can pick it up from someone or put the package into our room. She refuses that she does know nothing about it. we gave her the evidence that certain staff (with name) signed off the package and insisted she asked that staff by name and she refused! Finally she called that staff since we would not let it go and found out that the package was put together with company/hotel business and putting in maids room. If we were not to check, we would not have the package.

The quality of staffs vary day by day. Especially at night it was terrible. Staffs are saying very different in terms of the services.

On the day we check out we want our reciepts in our company name since we gave the business card when we checked in. She said that we did not inform her so she refused to do anything. The receipt looked terrible there are so many charged cancelling back and forth max out the auhortization of the card with no nesscessity. When we ask her to clarify or change the wrong info, she refused that it cannot be done three times, however at the end she asks another person to help look into it and finally she can do it. It took her three refusion upfront not to undo the wrong and refecting customer requests even without trying. This is terrible service mind set. The hotel is lucky that the place looks decent.

Overall we will not come back and will not recommend anyone to stay.
PS. We stay around 10 days in Sept 13

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Artit K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelton
Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton
Hilton Garden Inn Shelton
Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County
Courtyard Shelton
Courtyard Shelton
#4 of 6 in Shelton
Extended Stay America - Shelton - Fairfield County
Homewood Suites by Hilton Stratford

Been to HYATT house Shelton? Share your experiences!