“Great stay and Friendly staff.”

Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Shelton
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great stay and Friendly staff.”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Contrary to a previous review I had a reservation at this hotel for 6 nigths. I arrived at the hotel at 11am and eventhough I knew check in was not until 3pm I figured I would take my chances and try. I was greeted by Madeline and Evita who were really nice. Madeline explained that they were sold out the nigth before and did not have any rooms for early check in but if I gave her a couple of minutes she would check with housekeeping and find out if a room was clean. She came over to me and said she had a room available and she would be able to check me in. The room was beautiful and spacious. My second day there I had to make a call but was having problems speaking with someone who spoke english since I was calling Puerto Rico. I went over to the front desk and explained to Madeline the problem I was having she asked me if I would like for her to speak to them and made the call for me. Thanks Madeline.

On the third day housekeeping skipped my room so I called the front desk and spoke to Evita who apologized and promised my room would be done first the next morning. Sure enough the next morning the housekeeper was knocking on my door at 8:30 am. Thank you Evita.
This is a great place to stay and the staff I came in contact with was friendly and went above and beyond for me.

I would like to say it would have been nice to have met the general manager to personally tell her about how wonderful Madeline and Evita were. On two ocassions I tried to speak to the general manager but was not able to talk to her. On Friday 7/19/13 when I went to check out I asked Madeline if the general manager was busy and she said they were having a meeting but that she would get her for me. I told her not to since I didn't want to interrupt the meeting.

Would be nice if the general manager had an open door policy. The whole time I was there never once was her door open. Also she didn't look very friendly or approachable.

• Stayed July 2013
JALPSSheltonCT, General Manager at Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Ms. Ana,
It is always a pleasure to read reviews glorifying my staff and I will make sure to inform them of how wonderful you thought their service was during your stay. I want to apologize for the appearance of a "closed door" policy with the general manager at the time and assure you that it will not happen again. If you ever find yourself in Shelton again, please feel free to stop by and I will speak to you personally myself. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how well we are doing and we hope to see you soon.

Tiffany Ball

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I held a 2 night reservation 6/26--6/28 for the penthouse suite at this property. Upon arrival, I told Madeline at the front desk that I had requested a 1:PM check-in days in advance. Her response was "NUTIN AVAILABLE" in a very cold and uncaring manner. I asked her to check the reservation and was told that the early check-in was entered for 1:AM. Nonsense!!!! no such check-in time exists. When I asked Madeline what time my room could be ready, she said "I don't know." I left and drove down the road a few hundred yards to Extended Stay America and secured lodgings with a very friendly agent. I returned to the Residence Inn to cancel my reservation. There is serious lack of training and supervision at this property.

1 Thank Lou11686
JALPSSheltonCT, General Manager at Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Lou11686

I am so sorry to hear that your request for early check-in was not honored on time. We do apologize, our front desk and housekeeping staff certainly do their very best to ensure that all guest requests are met. Check in time is 3pm and if we are able to check a guest in early we always do. If you would like to call me directly at the property to discuss I would be more than happy to speak with you.

Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Our room was quiet, and very clean. The outside of the property is nice, but the rooms were great. The interior has been freshly remodeled. We will definitely be repeat guests.

I think the location was terrific and easy to access. It is a great spot to enjoy walks, with many convenient amenities a quick drive...north, south, east or west.

The Marriott family of hotels is really excellent. We always prefer the residence inn because of the mini apartment feel. Thanks

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
JALPSSheltonCT, General Manager at Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear JeffM

Thank you for your great review, so glad that you enjoyed staying with us. The housekeeping department really try and do a great job and that you appreciated all their hard work. We look forward to see you in the near future.

Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We really enjoyed our stay. The room was very comfortable and accommodating. Loved having all the amenities of a kitchen. The room is starting to show signs of age but nothing a little TLC couldn't take care of. Their was a cracked tile at the entrance way, and scuff marks on the walls that a little touch up paint could cure. The front entrance walk to each room needed some paint as well. The very nice maintenance man was working on that the week we stayed. The toilet did need some attention because it was running. I didn't want to bother with someone coming to fix it while we were there. We just shut the bathroom door. However, I did tell them so the next guest wouldn't have to hear that all night.
We were lucky the day we were leaving someone checked in upstairs with little pitter patter feet running across the room all morning. We could hear every step and were grateful to be checking out that day. The property at night is so peaceful and quiet but during the day it's noisy, landscapers and staff talking outside our door. It was upsetting because they were so loud that they woke us up! Baja Volume!
We did ask for extra pillows when we first arrived and they never came. We had to pick them up later late at night after returning to our room. Our check-in with Chase was wonderful but our first request was not fulfilled by housekeeping. The bed is extremely comfortable but it was a little bit small.
We absolutely loved sitting by the fire pit a few nights while we were there. I would suggest the hotel staff pull in the cushions when it rains so when the guests do use the area they don't get a wet bottom like I did. ;)
Thank you for doing your best with keeping up with your hotel. I will definitely consider staying there again.

Room Tip: Second floor is recommended if you don't mind climbing a flight of stairs.
Green Features: I didn't see any recycle bins for our bottles. I would have like to recycle my water bottles.
Dear 0219cat

What a fabulous detailed review of the hotel. Thank you so much for capturing all of the wonderful amenities that we provided here at the Residence Inn, Shelton CT. Our painting project is underway after the amazing amounts of snow we had here in the first few months of the year. We are happy to say we are so busy that it is hard to get to all the rooms and get the work done. Our guests have been patient with us and allowed us acccess to make sure the hotel is getting all the attention it deserves. All of your observations and suggestions have been duly noted and we really appreciate you taking the time to help us make the property even more of a success.

We look forward to hosting you again in the Shelton area soon!!

Fairfield, CT
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We needed to staynoutnof our house for a night and this was the perfect place. Kids loved the outdoor pool, room was very clean and spacious and breakfast was abundant. We could have stayed another night!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
JALPSSheltonCT, General Manager at Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear liketravelID

Thank you so much for your review on our hotel. The pool is a great amenity during the summer months and so glad the kids were able to take advantage of it. The hotel is the perfect place for families and we loved having you here.

Hope to see you again soon!!

Reviewed 2 July 2013

took 3 rooms for the weekend for us and 2 more couples. each with 2 kids. loved the place and would come back for another weekend some time soon. the only down side is the pool and that they don't sell alcohol on weekends. the water in the pool is very very dirty. I hope the filter was just not working properly and will be in better shape at my next stay. Chad

• Stayed June 2013
JALPSSheltonCT, General Manager at Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear Chadpusa

Thank you for the great review and so glad you were able to enjoy our pool. It does get quite busy on the weekends as we are the only hotel in the area with an outdoor pool. Our filters are working great and our staff are working overtime to accommodate all of the people that love to stay with us on the weekend. Unfortunately we do not sell alcohol at the property and guests are not permitted to drink at the swimming pool area. Mid-week if you have the opportunity to visit us again we do offer a complimentary social reception that includes beer and wine, Mon-Wed from 6pm-7.30pm.

We look forward to hosting you in the Shelton area again soon.

Gulf Shores, AL
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This stay was part of a two week business trip to Shelton. The room itself smelled from the cooking of a previous guest ... request for housekeeping to spray some air freshener went unheeded ... several spiders ... asked they spray and couldn't tell if they did or not as there were still spiders ... food (in particular the potatoes and sausage) wasn't properly cooked ... bed was old and sagged ... some of the linens had seen better days ... they charged my credit card mid stay (which meant I was a week behind in getting my money back via expense statement before my credit card bill showed up) ... biggest problem was the noise (from those on the 2nd floor walking to using the bathroom, you can hear it downstairs) ... GM blew me off when I mentioned the noise at checkout

Room Tip: 2nd floor is going to be quieter, but then you have to carry your luggage up two flights of stairs
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike C
Dear Mr. Chambers

Thank you so much for you review of our property. Please let me the first to apologize for the issues experienced during your stay with us. Unfortunately I was out of the office last week and I can see from our records that you checked out of the hotel on Saturday June 29th. Therefore I missed the opportunity to speak with you in person and resolve some of the issues you outlined below.

If you could call me and I can walk you through our billing process, in addition, discuss your concerns regarding the quality of food and the spiders that would be great. I look forward to speaking with you.

Jillian Alps
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelton
Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton
Courtyard Shelton
Courtyard Shelton
#4 of 6 in Shelton
Homewood Suites by Hilton Stratford

Been to Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County? Share your experiences!