Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Shelton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Homestead Suites has superior service, cleanliness, and convenient location.
I am staying for business at this hotel and everything is fine, large suite style room, comfortable bed, nice TV, very clean kitchen (including refrigerator).

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 January 2010

PROS:
Pleasant and friendly staff
Nice complimentary breakfast
Convenient location
Free parking
Quiet
CONS:
Serious housekeeping issues in the room including:
Mismatched and old, scratched furniture
Stained and ripped couch
Dirty carpeting
Tempermental heating system
Dirty tub
Dirty bathroom floor
This is an old Residence Inn and desperately needs an Extreme Make-Over. The staff is very friendly so it's hard to understand how our room could be so run down. We cut our stay short and stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Criticaltraveller
Reviewed 29 December 2009

Stayed for 8 days visiting family at Christmas. We had also stayed at this same hotel for 10 days during summer. I would not stay here again. The beds are uncomfortable, with the springs very close to coming through the top of the mattresses. The beds also have a big 'dip' in the center, so if two people are trying to sleep in the same bed they will both tend to roll towards the middle. The pull out sofa bed in the 'penthouse' rooms are basically unusable due to the paper thin mattress. We indicated we would be arriving late on a Sun. night and had secured the reservation with a credit card. When we finally got to the hotel after an exhausting 12 hour cross country trip in a snow storm, the pull out bed we needed for one of our kids had no bed linens. I called the front desk and was told by the RUDE ASSISTANT MANAGER that it would be over an hour for someone to deliver bedding to the room, or we could come and get it ourselves. So again, back outside in a blizzard to walk around the hotel to the front desk to get bed linens to then make up the bed that should have already been made. I assumed I was given enough linens, but since the asst. mgr was so rude when I went to the front desk to pick them up I did not bother checking. Well, you guessed it.... after trudging back to my room to make up the bed for my exhausted daughter, I realized I was given ONE sheet, one pillowcase and one thin blanket. So back out in the snow to the front desk I had to go once more to get proper bedding. Ridiculous.
Then there is the 'free' breakfast. One day of their 'free' breakfast will have you running to the closest diner. The breakfast is only open 6:30 to 8:30 am also, not long enough or late enough if you are on vacation or have kids that like to sleep in a little. Powdered, gross, scambled eggs, sausage they were always out of, salsa that was rancid.... stale bread and toasters that take 10 min. complete the list.
Now lets talk about housekeeping.... the soap, shampoo, toilet paper and kleenex were used and never replenished, and the place was not vaccuumed once in the 7 nights we were there. The towels were replaced every OTHER day, although they would take 3 bath towels and then leave 2.
All in all, I would MUCH rather pay more and get two connecting rooms at a better hotel then ever stay at this place again.
When we stayed in the summer of 2009 it was not much better, although it was sold out the week we were there due to a local rock festival . 20-somethings smoking pot openly on the grounds.
If you happen to wander into the hotel lobby after the 8:30 am breakfast closing time to get a newspaper or cup of coffee, you will find the entire lobby is taken over every morning for a staff meeting. Eating the rest of the breakfast foods the paying guests did not eat because the breakfast bar was not open .

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank StBernardlover
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Going to the Fairfield area in Connecticut and staying in Trumbull area wasnt so much fun. Till someone suggested this property as i was to stay for a week and long days of work were planned.

It felt like home after having reached this place after a decent drive from the JFK airport. Lot of weekday traffic, and I was glad to see the room. Quite spacious and a place for everything with lot small places. Wifi enabled.

A nice kitchnette - got it stacked quickly. Located close to many restaurants and a super market. A storm came up and I just sat in my room with the TV on and laptop closeby. The clean and comfortable stay made me forget my 15 hour day at work.

Breakfast was on the house and served in the reception area. Very helpful staff and quite affordable for that area - considering the proximity to so many corporate offices.

Doesnt have a lift, shouldnt matter as it is a condo kind of place. Worthwhile affair and money well spent.

Lot of shopping closeby and nice place for a morning/evening run.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2009

We were attending a funeral, and only stayed one night. The accommodations were fine. The check in was another story. Our stay (all 3 rooms) had been booked by friends living in the area but the Asst. Manager couldn't seem to find our reservations (he told us that perhaps they were at a neighboring Marriott). Finally a clerk came to the desk and *did* find us in the system so we could check in. Then one of our party was charged to stay, even though the room had been paid for by the folks who booked it. She was able to get the charge reversed, but it took some doing. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was fine. No complains on the stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2008

If you have to stay in mid CT and want to avoid I95 via the Merrit Pkwy, this is a good place to stay. The room was clean and the staff was very nice. The pool was clean, and the breakfast was average. There are multiple grocery, liquor, chain restaurant, and more upscale restaurant options within a mile to the east of the hotel entrance. Nothing is walking distance. We stayed in a "Penthouse Suite" which has a one bedroom full bath downstairs, and a non enclosed loft with a full bath directly above the living room. We watched our young children like hawks because the drop from the loft bed to the living room is probably fifteen feet. Three major corporation hq's give this property most of the perfectly fine clients. There were some random long term residents like the bearded leathery skin guy who left his trash bag and empty bottle of tequilla outside of his room on a Friday morning; he startled my three year old when he rolled out of bed to get something out of his car at 9:30am with jeans, barefoot, and no shirt . From the cigarette butts and the trash bags outside of other rooms, I don't think he was the only sketchy character. There was also a next door florist with an old greenhouse with broken glass in the grass next to the parking lot. I'd stay again to avoid the dregs of mid CT and traffic on 95, it is quiet and clean, but this is on the lower end of Marriott Properties.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Ravenduffer
Reviewed 19 March 2008

I booked this hotel through our corporate system, due to the proximity of business I was conducting in the area. I came in on a red-eye to hartford, and made the 1 hour drive to the facility. The desk staff (though check-in isn't until later in the afternoon) found me a room so I could rest and conduct business...which is 'First-rate' in my book. They are close to local food, establishments and traffic routes (although far enough away that you don't hear any of the traffic).
If I had to make a recommendation, I'd say to find a way to get more space for sitting in the main lobby for the breakfast and managers reception. Having so few tables makes these cramped. Minor issue...I'd recommend to others.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank smhasert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelton
Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton
Courtyard Shelton
#4 of 6 in Shelton
Extended Stay America - Shelton - Fairfield County
Homewood Suites by Hilton Stratford

Been to Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County? Share your experiences!