“Little town in CT”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Shelton
Shanghai
“Little town in CT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

There's a small hamlet in Connecticut called Huntington (part of the larger town of Shelton) where we visited friends and family over Christmas. We average three or four trips a year to Huntington and usually spend four days to a week, so we know there are 5 or 6 major hotel within a one mile stretch of Bridgeport Road and we usually stay at a Marriott all-suites place. But this time when we looked online, we found the Hilton was $90 and the Marriott was $150 a night ! I've noticed AT&T trucks filling the parking spaces at the Marriott over the past twelve months so I suspect that Marriott have a bulk deal with the utilities company and they're renting out any vacant rooms at top rates. Anyhow, we booked the Hilton and were somewhat surprised by how good it was. The room was not as big as the Marriott suite, but it was more comfortable and the bed linens were much better quality. The staff were really great, friendly without being intrusive, helpful and made our Christmas visit even better. The foyer had a roaring fireplace, there's a small bar if you want a drink, there's breakfast if you want, and there's free coffee and cookies ! Now I don't know if this was a Christmas special or if it's like this all the time, but next visit we'll book the Hilton first up. One tip - the forecourt seems like the obvious parking area in front of the hotel, but during a CT winter you don't want to be sweeping snow off your car and chipping ice off the windshield. So ask the staff or find out the way for yourself to the covered parking - it's actually beneath the forecourt and to get to it you go round the back of the hotel. Can't say enough good things about this hotel, the staff and room were worth more than five stars.

Room Tip: Try to get one on the side away from main road
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank beatric

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Everything was great. Perfect location for Sikorsky employees. All employees were very friendly and accommodations were ideal. Room was on the 4th floor overlooking a creek. Room was quiet which I really liked. Restaurants located right across the street. Ate breakfast at the hotel which was great. Don't forget fresh cookies put out at 5:00 PM. Will definitely stay there again the next time in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the back side away from the road if possible.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I stayed over NY to visit my partner's family for a week.

I've stayed in Hiltons before but never a Garden Inn variant. I didn't know what to expect but I was happy with my choice. I think with this chain you get value for money.

The room is large, bed was the biggest I've seen in a hotel, probably a king size. Reception is decorated fine and large.

Swimming pool like in most hotels is a let down and quite small.

Never ate in the hotel so can't recommend there.

At the time a lot of families were staying for a sporting event, despite the noisey kids I wasn't disturbed in my room. The same happened in another hotel which was a different story so I can pleased with the build of this hotel.

Another delight is the mini starbucks bar downstairs - help yourself to unlimited starbucks tea and coffee - its self service. I enjoyed that extra touch.

If you can get a good rate for this hotel I do recommend based on value and room quality.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed at this Hotel on a short break to visit friends the w/end after Thanksgiving. Check in was a breeze and we on the 5th floor overlooking the parking lot. Room was clean except there was a stain on the carpet and on checking the bathroom found a nasty crack in the wash bowl. we did inform the night staff and they offered to change our room but we had already unpacked and were tired after a long trip up from Florida.We found the beds to be very comfortable and slept well. The breakfast and service were excellent . The location was convenient for us and I would stay here again if we visit the area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Providence, RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn while visiting the area with my wife for a class reunion. When we checked in, there weren't many cars in the lot. The clerk was friendly and efficient, and we were on our way to our 6th floor room in about 2 minutes. The bedroom looked like it had been updated since our last stay there several years ago. Everything was clean and functional. The adjustable sleep number bed still felt a little firm even when it was set for softness. It was not the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on, but I've done much worse.

The bathroom is where work is needed. I went to take a shower Sunday Morning, and I noticed a lot of peeling paint in the tub/shower area. This is something I would expect to see at a Days Inn level property, not a Hilton. There was also a light out in the bathroom. We had a free breakfast as part of the package, and the service in the Great American Grill was very good. Checkout was a breeze. I would stay at this property again, but there is a lot of competition in the area at a similar price. I normally prefer the Hampton Inn up the street or Homewood Suites in Stratford.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face the back of the property and may be a little quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

Stayed here 2 nights on a trip with friends. The hotel is nice and clean, the rooms are a nice size and had everything we needed, the area is quiet and convenient. We spent much more time there than anticipated as we arrived the morning of the big October snowstorm.

I can't say enough about the excellent customer service we received here. First, we asked to change rooms due a large, horribly loud family with kids literally bouncing off the walls next door. They couldn't have been nicer, moved us to a room at the other end of the hall right away, and comped us breakfast for our trouble.

Then the snow started. We weren't able to get out for lunch and the hotel restaurant wasn't open for lunch. We were about to buy frozen meals from the hotel convenience store in desperation when the desk clerk showed us menus from a couple of nearby restaurants that delivered. He even watched for the delivery guy and sent him up to our new room, since we moved after we ordered.

Ate dinner at the hotel since we were basically snowed-in. Food was pretty good, staff was super-friendly. TV reception was out due to the storm, so they served free appetizers all evening to make it up to us. That was a very nice touch. Breakfast in the morning was very good, and again the staff was extra friendly and helpful. So much above-and-beyond service our entire stay - I just can't say enough about how wonderful the staff was!

If you are in the area, I highly recommend the Hilton Garden Inn. A very pleasant stay, and the nicest, most helpful staff I've seen in a long time.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our rear-facing room with a view of trees and a little creek.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
spmhilton, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Shelton, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We are certainly pleased to hear of your satisfaction with our accommodations and our service here at Hilton Garden Inn. The kind words that you provided on our many staff members is most appreciated. It will be a great pleasure to welcome you again with any future travels to the Shelton area.
Fresno, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

I was traveling from Hartford to LaGuardia and wanted a hotel in a nice area that was within an hour drive from the airport. I was very happy with the Hilton Garden Inn in Shelton and it was only about an hour from the airport. There's a little shopping center across the street with a few restaurants, including an Outback Steakhouse. The room was clean and comfortable and it had a flat screen TV. The bed had an adjustment knob that allows you to change the support of the mattress from soft to firm. There's a little restaurant in the lobby that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The breakfast buffet was included in my hotel fee. They make eggs and omelets to order. All the staff was very friendly and I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelton
Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton
#4 of 6 in Shelton
Homewood Suites by Hilton Stratford
Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County
Extended Stay America - Shelton - Fairfield County

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Shelton? Share your experiences!