“One of my favorite Hamptons”

Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Shelton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
“One of my favorite Hamptons”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I was traveling through CT & MA on my way to NYC, and decided to stay somewhere about an hour outside the city and picked this Hampton based on reviews. I was extremely happy with the stay. The layout of my room was excellent, it was clean and updated, and the staff was friendly. The fitness area had a lot of options and the lobby was beautiful. I will definitely keep this hotel in mind next time I'm in the area. I wish all Hamptons kept up this standard!

• Stayed November 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Turkish first
New Egypt, United States
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast had a good variety and the few hot items were hot. If staying in Watertown I would highly recommend the Hampton. Very convenient to highway, shopping and a variety of restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Our room was very nice, the front desk staff and and room maid were very nice and helpful. We were not pleased with the breakfast because we went at 9:30 and there was nothing left even though breakfast was until 10:00.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Averill Park, New York
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The pool really makes this Hotel which is obvious by the amount of them there. The slide is really cool and the hotel is clean and well maintained. We were going to Fairfield University which was just a short 10 minutes away.

Brick, United States
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We were originally booked in another hotel. Upon arrival they informed us that they could not accommodate us in our adjoining rooms even though we had a reservation. We called the Hampton Inn in Shelton. The staff could not have been more helpful. This was at 10:00 pm on a Friday night. They quickly checked us in to two adjoining rooms. They went above and beyond to make this a pleasant stay!

Waltham, United States
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We were in town for a family funeral and found comfort staying at the Hampton Inn...wonderful place and great comforts! The room was quite nice and roomy and the breakfast was nicely laid out. The staff was terrific and our stay could not have been better!

Gulf Shores, AL
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The air conditioner in this hotel is controlled by a programmable thermostat made by Coastal Green Air ... details at coastalgreenair.com. Long story short, it appears there is a range of temperatures (roughly 72 to 78 deg F), that you have control. Should you go below or above that, the air conditioner will lead you to believe it's working, but will not maintain the temperature outside of the 72 to 78 range. It does this through a combination of programmable ranges, motion detector, and timer. According to the website, it's customizable by the hotel. Again, details can be found at coastalgreenair.com.

It's my custom to turn down the AC a bit given there are no light blankets. I can use either the comforter on the bed or the blanket in the closet. Both are too heavy for the programmed range. Hence, why I turn down the temperature. The problem is I go to sleep all nice and cozy only to wake up sweating. In my sleep, I kick off the comforter and then I wake up freezing. For the first 3 nights I consistently woke up between 3 and 4 AM playing this game.

On the third trip to the front desk, I asked to speak to the General Manager. He refused to talk to me, but did have maintenance disconnect the wall thermostat so I could control the temperature from the window unit. This is the second time I've asked to speak to the General Manager and have been ignored. During an earlier stay, they had no hot water and a barking dog next door to me.

At breakfast, the seasoned potatoes and bacon were not properly cooked. On two mornings, there was no meat of any kind. Hard biscuits and white gravy aren't my idea of a hot breakfast. Throughout my one week stay, there were routine shortages of eggs, coffee, orange juice, and milk. During my late visits to the breakfast area, the garbage cans were over flowing. There was also no attempt to clean up around the various serving containers.

The one bright spot during my stay was my check-in. The young man on duty went above and beyond expectations in his dealing with housekeeping trying to get me into a room quickly and efficiently.

Room Tip: To get a good room in Shelton, I suggest the Hilton Garden Inn ... I've also had trouble at the...