Simsbury 1820 House
US$160
US$118
US$165
Hotwire.com
All reviewsmetro biscarriage housenew englandbagelscontinental breakfastthe main housefour poster bedsister propertyrestaurant locatedhard boiled eggsgluten free optionsgreek yogurtbeautiful roommodern amenitiesroaring firesitting roomthird floor
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We have stayed here a few times while visiting family and prefer it to the other less distinctive hotels in the area. The 1820 house is located within walking distance of restaurants and stores. It is a historic house with antique furniture and nice canopy beds. It's not totally modern and generic like a hotel, and you don't feel like your staying at someone's house like many B&B's. Its like you have an elderly Aunt who still owns the family mansion and let's you stay when you are in town. Much of our family prefers the more hotel-like places nearby. we like the character and uniqueness of the 1820 House.
this time we were traveling with our infant daughter and everyone was very welcoming to her and went out of their way to accommodate our needs. They provide a real crib, not a pack n play. It has a soft mattress and even a nice crib bumper. They even made sure we'd have a room that had enough space for all of us.
We did not bring our dog this time but have in the past. The dog friendly rooms are in the carriage house across the parking lot. Unlike in many hotels, these rooms are just as nice as in the main house. Some even have a small, but nice outdoor patio area. Because of the outdoor space we prefer staying here even when we don't have a dog with us.
The breakfast is adequate, not great. It's convenient to have right there in site. They are renovating now to include a good local restaurant, so this will improve the place even more.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RoadTrp
Reviewed 29 June 2013

A business conference in Bloomfield, CT, in mid-April, gave our group of associates an opportunity to chose hotel accommodations, that is, as Frost described, "one less traveled by", if you will. Travelers now have a myriad of choices to choose from, not just your run-of-the-mill chain hotels that your administrative assistant will book. And to quote Frost's Road Not Taken, one last time, "And that has made all the difference" in the hospitality business.

The 1820 House is not your typical hotel. This beautiful home has been repurposed as a bed & breakfast. This is not a boutique hotel so, for me, this was a first time staying at this classification, either as a business or leisure traveler. After the hotel shuttle picked me up at the airport, and as the driver pulled in its drive way, I was a bit nervous at the look of the home, as it brought back images of old, New England homes featured in some B-movie horror flick (I had not seen pictures of the property and my business associate who booked our rooms just said it was "different"; it didn't help that it was a bit gray that day). However, once I entered the front door, and greeted by the receptionist, my anxiousness washed away with a kind smile and greeting. The main lobby was historically beautiful. I can still hear the creaks on the floor as I shifted my weight, I could smell a century of history worn on its carpet runners, walls, stairs, breath after breath. It was different, in a very nice way, like being warmly greeted by a good friend to their home, or coming home to your childhood home after years of being away from it.

The room I had was a large and beautiful. The four-poster bed was very comfortable and I had some of the best night sleep that I could remember. There was an adjacent sun or sitting room that made it feel even larger, as well as a patio. The heater kept the room cozy through the cool night and crisp mornings. The bathroom was nice and worked perfectly. Though, there were some slight imperfections in the paint or peeling wallpaper, I dismissed that as character and history, though I could understand how others may view that. This was a homey room, a well-lived room, one where I felt like I was guest in someone's home. It was comforting and I enjoyed the three nights there.

In closing, the Simsbury 1820 House is a wonderful alternative to the rut of typical chain hotels. It is warm, cozy, and homey! It has changed my view of what a typical hotel should be.

Business Travelers: No fitness room, pool, bar, or dining, room service; has wireless internet and airport shuttle. Shuttle also takes guests to their sister property, The Simsbury Inn, where a pool, restaurant, and other amenities reside.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank CI8TCeeR
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I stayed here recently during a trip from the UK. There was everything you need for a comfortable stay. The breakfast was good with a wide choice to suit all tastes. The bedrooms were big but we did feel the paintwork inside and out was in need of a little updating to improve the overall appearance. A minor issue that did not impact on our stay. I would certainly recommend this hotel and its convenient location.

Room Tip: We had 2 rooms on the first floor which were very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie P
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at the 1820 House for Memorial Day weekend. The friendly staff helped with any questions concerning local dining, activities, attractions etc. Our room was clean and comfortable. Continental breakfast was very good, especially the baked goods. You can walk to over a half dozen restaurants from the Inn. We took advantage of Simsbury's free bike program and the beautiful 26 mile trail for walking, riding, or jogging. After our ride the Innkeeper gave us each a bottle of cold water which was greatly appreciated. Hope for a return visit in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank montyCt
Reviewed 10 December 2012

A lovely historic home which is now an Inn (since 1985). Filled with character, charm and antiques... they have made an effort to make this place feel like the home it once was. The rooms (at least the ones we had) were large and comfy with the best beds! (The third floor has the king size beds - worth the climb!). The staff was very friendly and supportive, especially the "Inn Keeper." My sister commented to her how good a particular bread was at breakfast, and the next morning, the Inn Keeper had some for her... a nice touch. The breakfast is Continental... but the baked goods are fantastic - from the Simsbury Inn - a larger sister property. There is no restaurant but there are so many good food choices in Simsbury it is not an issue. The only trick is that the front desk closes at 9:30 so you need to get there before that to get your room key but I am sure they can accommodate unique situations. This is the second time I have stayed here and will again.

Room Tip: Ask for a King bed... the bridal suite on the 3rd floor is lovely... if avail ask for it. I think all the kings are on the 3rd floor ...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family