“Friendly staff - Lovely Hotel - Picture postcard setting - Doggie Approved!”
Review of The Simsbury Inn

The Simsbury Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Simsbury
Sicklerville, New Jersey
“Friendly staff - Lovely Hotel - Picture postcard setting - Doggie Approved!”
Reviewed 23 November 2009

We chose the Simsbury Inn this weekend for several reasons: 1) it was close to our daughter's house in Avon, 2) we wanted something different from a chain hotel, and 3) we needed a hotel that allowed dogs. We were impressed by everyone that worked at this hotel. They acted more like concerned owners than paid employees, even asking if we needed dog food for our labradoodle,

The lobby was attractive and functional and the very large sitting area to the right of the lobby was a perfect gathering place with sofas, wing chairs, and a roaring fire. Coffee and tea was always available and juices and breakfast pastries were set out in the morning. It was a treat to walk around the pine tree ringed perimeter of the property each morning on our doggie walks. There was plenty of parking. The indoor pool looked inviting but we didn't have time to use it. We also didn't have a chance to eat at their restaurants because we were only there for two days and already had reservations at Old Avon Farms and were taken to other restaurants by DD and family.

The room and bath were average but clean. DH thought the bed was too hard but I thought it was fine. There was no HBO but there was free wifi and there was a nice little sitting area. An assortment of Bath 'n Bodyworks toiletries were provided and it was appreciated.

We will definitely return to the Simsbury Inn.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Reviewed 13 June 2009

Stayed one night. Very quiet. Hotel is back a bit from the road helps as did a room facing towards the back. Room itself is pretty much hotel standard, except for the 4-poster bed. Smallish, but the king room was adequate for 2. Bathroom, as others have noted is ok, but nothing special. Coffee maker and small fridge included; the last a nice feature. No hair dryer. The free continental breakfast is about as minimal as they can get away with. Paid breakfast in the Nutmeg cafe, off the lobby, was very good. Right off the grille. Based on our experience, avoid their Evergreens restaurant. See separate review.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 30 January 2009

I live locally, but the recent cold weather caused a pipe to break in my house (boy was that lots of fun). In order to keep my kids, and husband :), out of the plumber and clean up people's way we stayed at the Simsbury Inn. We had eaten the brunch there a few times (which was always great), but had never stayed.

The lobby is beautiful with high ceilings, and a neat little "nook" off to the side with a fire place. Check in was quick, which was good since the kids were starting to get a little cranky from having to deal with the hectic stream of people in our house fixing the issues. The staff was very friendly and we were greated with smiles by everyone.

The room had a sort of elegant country feel, dark wood and blues throughout. The bed was beyond description, my husband and I both commented on how it was the best night sleep we had had in years. Soft, and lots of pillows. I would have slept until midday had my children let me.

The pool was the highlight for the kids though. Indoor and well heated, the kids (6 & 9) were all smiles. For me, the cleanliness, the stonework, and the copious amount of windows gave the pool area a great feel (which was good considering how hard it was to get the little ones out). My husband and I loved the jacuzzi. The staff told us there was a workout facility, but we never made it there.

We ordered room service after the swim, and it came quickly (not the normal cold room service I am used to). There was a good selection, so both of the kids had something they liked. My husbands said his steak was great, and I had the a walnut salad which was simple, but very tasty.

All in all, we were sad to have to leave, and we have already started to talk about finding an excuse to go back.

• Liked — The beds were heavenly.
  • Disliked — Having to leave.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Avon, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 January 2009

We are locals and stayed here for New Years Eve under a terrific package ($229) that included room (w bottle of champagne/chocolates), 5 course dinner and brunch as well as a 2pm checkout.

The room had a canopy bed that looked great but was extremely uncomfortable. The bathroom needs updating (very tired looking) actually the entire place seems to suffer from deferred maintenance (ie edges of walls have paint scrapped off, scuff marks on trim, upholstery getting thin, chairs in restaurants dinged and chipped). These issues run throughout the property in the public areas as well as the rooms

All in all a great value for the package we received but I don't think I'd rush back-hopefully they put a bit of polish into the place to restore it to the beautiful inn it could easily be as opposed to a place where it's glory days are behind it.

• Liked — the value of the package
  • Disliked — deferred maintenance was a true distraction
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelgalAvon
coventry, ct
Reviewed 18 April 2008

From start to finish, The Simsbury Inn was one of the most pleasurable hotels I have come across in my travels. It is a lovely property with the most comfortable beds that I have ever slept in. The food is excellent and the indoor pool and patios are so lovely and relaxing. There is a year round fire in the lobby and the lounge. What puts this hotel over the top is the service of their outstanding staff. It has been a long time since I have met people so willing to go way out of their way to help me and take such good care of all of my needs. My wife and were even able to get fabulous spa services right in our room!!!

I stayed at the hotel for a social function but I am a corporate business person and wireless internet is available everywhere on the property even outside. I was able to do my work with ease and they even have a lovely area with computers for guests use.
All usage was free of charge, I just needed a password.

There is an ambiance at this property that makes you long for it after you have left. Highly recommend.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank porscheman8
Kentucky
Reviewed 15 June 2007

Stayed in the Simsbury Inn while on business in the area. Very lovely hotel with the features of a large hotel, but the charm of a B&B.
I very much enjoyed my stay and will be very happy to stay there again when I must travel to the area again.
The front desk staff was extremely helpful when I locked my keys in the rental car. They called the police for me after a locksmith never showed. They took the time the next evening to ask if everything had turned out ok as well.
The resturant, pub and breakfast cafe were terrific with delicious food and a great atmosphere.
Very pleased with the whole experience.

• Liked — The overall charm
  • Disliked — Difficult to adjust and like A/C settings
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank QueenLadybug
Avon ct
Reviewed 18 May 2007

I'm Marriott gold but frequently use this hotel for international customers and colleagues. The free breakfast may not quite match the residence inn but the ambiance, personal service and paid breakfast room are good. The restaurant is closed Mondays but is good for at least one night in a week long stay as it is excellent. Highly recommended over 10 years of my experience

Stayed May 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Simsbury
Avon Old Farms Hotel
Residence Inn Hartford Avon
HYATT house Hartford North/Windsor
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#2 of 7 in Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington

Been to The Simsbury Inn? Share your experiences!