“Brilliant food”

Dining options: Reservations
Wells, United Kingdom
“Brilliant food”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed locally and this local pub was recommended to us by the owners. We ate here every night as the food and choice of food was brilliant. Thanks for the great food - would certainly come again if in the area.

Visited September 2013

Stone, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous food let down by VERY poor service!”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Visited this pub whilst holidaying in the local area last week. After seeing a sign for the country pub and reading numerous great reviews on tripadvisor we decided to give it a go for our last evening down in Devon.... Unfortunately we were quite disappointed. After booking a table for 7.45 ( at the advice of the lady on the phone as there was a party of 14 at 8pm so she suggested we arrive first) we walked into a cosy, traditional country pub with a warm atmosphere... Great!(we thought!). However, no staff were on hand to greet us so we stood around for a while before heading to the bar. A young lad served us and pointed out our table- so far so good. However our table was Situated not only right next to the busy bar, but also next to a couple whom had a dog ( the dogs tail was practically under our chair). We asked to move which was no problem... However, the lad sat us one table behind I.e still next to the dog. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs but felt a bit awkward with not 1 but 3 dogs in the bar area... Not what I'd normally expect when I go out for dinner. Luckily they were well behaved although It was annoying having to step over the to get to the bar/toilet.
Having been sat at our table for 15minutes with no menu, I eventually had to go up to the bar and grab my own menu's. It was then another 30minutes before someone took our order!!! Not good. About 15/20mins after ordering our food,, I had popped to the toilet and noticed the party of 14 that came in 15mins after us ( remembering we were advised to get in before them) were happily tucking into their meals!! Suggesting they were served first.... It wouldn't of bothered us too much but the lady on the phone actually told us to come for 7.45 so we'd get served before the large party. Annoying. On returning from the toilet, we waited another 15/20mins for our food to arrive... By this time we'd been sat down for well over an hour waiting.... Not happy.
Food was nice- my husband had beef stroganoff which he said was 'nice but he expected better and more of it for £12. I had the vegetable lasagne with a side order of dauphinoise potatoes ( which I had to order separately at £2 as my meal didn't come with any accompaniments other than a small side salad - I noted the meat lasagne does come with a choice of potatoes and veg.....why doesn't the veg lasagne too?!?! Odd!). It tasted beautiful and very homemade however it was really quite small... Glad I ordered the side dish!!
We were going to order dessert but after waiting ages for our plates to be cleared and with no apology about our wait for food, we decided to just go home.... Really disappointed :-(!!!
One last point....The table of two next to us were there before us and got served after us too demonstrating poor service yet again.... We could also overhear them moaning.

Overall, very disappointed. Nice food despite small portions, warm atmosphere, quaint traditional decor... Rubbish staff!

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent new B&B Accommodation at family run pub”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We returned home on Friday 23rd August from a very enjoyable three night stay at the The Crown Inn, in the centre of West Down village near Ilfracombe. The premises have been recently extended to offer B&B accommodation and the rooms are most definitely a jewel in the Crown. Ours was tastefully furnished, very clean, light and airy with an exceptionally comfortable double bed, a well-appointed en-suite shower room and tea/coffee making facilities.
The family could not have done more to make us feel welcome. There was cereal, fruit juice, a substantial, perfectly cooked full English breakfast and toast offered each morning. The evening menu was varied on the evening we chose to eat there, offering something for all tastes. The venison and duck dishes we ordered were expertly crafted and delicious. We will definitely return and are very grateful to a friend for recommending this place to us.

“Yummy”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stumbled upon this looking for somewhere to eat and what a find. Friendly staff fitted us in as long as we ordered quickly. A busy pub and understandably so. Delicious food, from the specials menu I ordered sole fillet stuffed with crab and prawns, in a white wine sauce, with dauphinois potatoes which came with carrots and green beans, absolutely gorgeous and just the perfect quantity. Also able to manage a warm chocolate brownie with clotted cream and ice cream for dessert - scrummy!

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Good pub grub”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

A lovely venue and good grub. A good mix of restaurant and traditional pub food is available. Lots of fish to choose from which for me is great. Definite worth a visit.