“Enjoyable”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in West Down
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Found details of this on Tripadviser and liked the reviews. Lovely old Inn with many remaining original features but also brought up to date in several respects. Good varied menu and specials menus. Apeared to be understaffed but the service was very good. Excellent food, large portions (seems to be the norm in Devon) So good that we returned for a second meal during our weeks holiday.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

My wife and I have visited The Crown Inn many times and last week we stayed in the newly added accomodation.This is a family run inn which has recently been refurbrished and extended to a very high standard by the owners themselves, the B&B rooms are all en suite with modern fittings and are tastefully decorated creating a warm and cosy atmosphere.The breakfasts are everything you could wish for from cereals or simple toast to a full English cooked breakfast which easily sets you up for the day.
The Crown Inn offeres a varied lunchtime and evening menu which cateres for all tastes and the food is always freshly cooked to order and delivered to your table piping hot with a minium of delay,always well worth the short wait,they also offer a delicious Sunday roast of different meats and vegetables at sensible prices.
In the warmer months you can enjoy your food and drink in the secluded garden.
In our view The Crown Inn really is the jewel in the North Devon countryside and well worth visiting.

Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

Down near Barnstaple on holiday we had heard from several sources that this was one of two inns with restaurants worthy of a visit. We were not disappointed in the least! Two of us had deep fried brie and rather than breadcrumbs it was coated in batter which was so light it almost melted in the mouth. All the food was excellent and it was a totally enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed locally and this local pub was recommended to us by the owners. We ate here every night as the food and choice of food was brilliant. Thanks for the great food - would certainly come again if in the area.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Visited this pub whilst holidaying in the local area last week. After seeing a sign for the country pub and reading numerous great reviews on tripadvisor we decided to give it a go for our last evening down in Devon.... Unfortunately we were quite disappointed. After booking a table for 7.45 ( at the advice of the lady on the phone as there was a party of 14 at 8pm so she suggested we arrive first) we walked into a cosy, traditional country pub with a warm atmosphere... Great!(we thought!). However, no staff were on hand to greet us so we stood around for a while before heading to the bar. A young lad served us and pointed out our table- so far so good. However our table was Situated not only right next to the busy bar, but also next to a couple whom had a dog ( the dogs tail was practically under our chair). We asked to move which was no problem... However, the lad sat us one table behind I.e still next to the dog. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs but felt a bit awkward with not 1 but 3 dogs in the bar area... Not what I'd normally expect when I go out for dinner. Luckily they were well behaved although It was annoying having to step over the to get to the bar/toilet.
Having been sat at our table for 15minutes with no menu, I eventually had to go up to the bar and grab my own menu's. It was then another 30minutes before someone took our order!!! Not good. About 15/20mins after ordering our food,, I had popped to the toilet and noticed the party of 14 that came in 15mins after us ( remembering we were advised to get in before them) were happily tucking into their meals!! Suggesting they were served first.... It wouldn't of bothered us too much but the lady on the phone actually told us to come for 7.45 so we'd get served before the large party. Annoying. On returning from the toilet, we waited another 15/20mins for our food to arrive... By this time we'd been sat down for well over an hour waiting.... Not happy.
Food was nice- my husband had beef stroganoff which he said was 'nice but he expected better and more of it for £12. I had the vegetable lasagne with a side order of dauphinoise potatoes ( which I had to order separately at £2 as my meal didn't come with any accompaniments other than a small side salad - I noted the meat lasagne does come with a choice of potatoes and veg.....why doesn't the veg lasagne too?!?! Odd!). It tasted beautiful and very homemade however it was really quite small... Glad I ordered the side dish!!
We were going to order dessert but after waiting ages for our plates to be cleared and with no apology about our wait for food, we decided to just go home.... Really disappointed :-(!!!
One last point....The table of two next to us were there before us and got served after us too demonstrating poor service yet again.... We could also overhear them moaning.

Overall, very disappointed. Nice food despite small portions, warm atmosphere, quaint traditional decor... Rubbish staff!