“CATERED EVENT”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Southbury
Southbury, Connecticut, United States
“CATERED EVENT”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We decided to celebrate my husband's 80th birthday by having a party in a restaurant. I found that the restaurants in the area wanted me to meet a high minimum number of guests, in order to have a private room.

Then I remembered the Heritage Hotel, and called Chris Allen, who arranges catered events. I learned that, since they're a conference center, they have a number of rooms that would accommodate a small party.

My husband and I enjoyed a Sunday brunch, and found the food to be excellent. We met with Chris, went over our unique menu (no meat, chicken or shell fish, absolutely nothing with meat or chicken stock, to accommodate family members who are kosher). She could meet those requirements , at a price that was far less costly than the local restaurants, and a much smaller required minimum number of guests.

I had many contacts with Chris over the months that we planned the party. When I called the hotel, I ALWAYS reached a live voice, and Chris was very available to me. She was amazing to work with, the party was extraordinary - a luncheon with 31 people, the room looked lovely, with their accommodating our request for an extra table for photos, and another one for our grandchildren and great-nephews to play games.

The wait step was on top of everything - available to us during the entire 4 hours, accommodating my requests for when food was served, and when the desserts would be uncovered. They were superb.

I would absolutely contact Chris and plan another catered event. I wouldn't even consider another place - it exceeded all of our expectations.

And above all, my husband was thrilled!

Our family members who stayed at the hotel were also pleased with their lodging experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandy B
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to review the Heritage Hotel. Special events like yours are important to us and I am happy we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. We wish your husband a very happy birthday, and can’t wait to help you plan your next event – big or small.

All the best, Scott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Really just a so so hotel. The food is really sub par and expensive so do NOT eat there. Southbury is very close and there are a few good places.
The room was fine. Small bathroom. Nice cleaning service. But the lobby had a huge fireplace and it was NEVER lit the whole 3 days and it was chilly.
They had two conferences the days we were there, so crowded. Husband enjoyed the pool and sauna. It's really nothing special and does not feel like New England.
We won't be returning here. If again here on business, will try the Litchifield Inn which is a little further away from town, but probably worth the drive.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GeorgiaPear16
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Heritage Hotel. I am sorry you didn’t feel you received the classic New England experience we are known for. As it is early in the season for us, we did not yet have the fireplaces lit throughout the weekend. I am glad your husband was able to enjoy the pool and everything else our Health Club has to offer.

Waterbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I got rewards points from a credit card so I used them to stay here. We checked in at 6:00 and had plenty to do when we got there. We stayed on the third floor, the hallway smelled like a bathroom and the floor creaked with every step, which wasn't very good when you try to sleep and the droves of people that walked by at all hours of the night sounded like the place was going to collapse. That and the light that came through the sides and bottom of the door all night made it hard to sleep. The bed was otherwise comfortable, and the room was very clean. Now the toilet...oh the toilet, it would not flush and the phone did not work to call the front desk to get it fixed and neither of us wanted to take the walk down to the front desk to tell them because we had a very hard week of work and just wanted to relax. But as I got up at 2 am to use the bathroom the smell was horrible and the water was brown in the bottom of the toilet. I felt gross even peeing in it. At this point I would've went to the desk to switch rooms but I wasn't about to wake up my fiancé. The racquet ball court was nice and a great amenity. My only issue was that the pool and other amenities closed at 9:30. We went to shadrachs for dinner and it was great! Overall it was a nice place but I don't know if we will go back considering the gross toilet issue. And the light from the door all night. I will still recommend this hotel to people purely because of the amenities and the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Samkidd666
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
We apologize for the troubles you had with the bathroom during your recent stay with us. While I am glad you enjoyed our health club’s racquetball courts and dinner at Shadrach’s, I am sorry you had a negative experience. Please contact me at Scott.Robinson@heritagesouthbury.com so that we can rectify the situation with your guest room.

Maine
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I had a steak at the pub and it was very nice. I could have done without the green beans and was looking for more potatoes. The breakfast buffet was outstanding. Truly nice to have someone custom makeomelets. The staff was very friendly and very accomodating. As a venue for a conference, the lecture rooms are better than most colleges!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding our conference center and breakfast buffet – the omelets are my favorite breakfast option. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I am writing to explain my dismay with my recent stay at your heritage hotel on 10/19/13. During the night my family was woken up by loud noise in the courtyard, so we called down to the front desk to let them know of the disturbance. Then again, about 45 minutes later, there was loud obnoxious behavior that woke me and my baby up. Now, I called downstairs and explained that something needs to be done or else my wife and I were leaving the hotel. Apparently security was sent down to alert the party that they were being too loud. So, I fell back asleep and again LOUD noise woke us all up!! At this time I walked downstairs and was very upset, wanting to know why security is not taking care of the situation. The concierge apologized and said we are trying our best to control the situation. The problem is that the situation was not being handled or controlled!! Due to the inconvenience and noise, my wife, 14 month old baby and I decided to pack up and leave your hotel to go back home to NY. We left your hotel in the middle of the night because things were not handled appropriately!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mattbph
We apologize for your recent experience at the Heritage Hotel. While we certainly do our best to minimize disruptions to all our guests, some behavior is out of our control. We will be in contact with you – certainly, we will not charge you for this stay. We also will be forwarding you a voucher for a future stay with us, so that we can show you the kind of hospitality we expect to offer to every guest.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The hotel staff went out of their way to be helpful, and were outwardly friendly. The premises were well maintained both on the exterior and interior. The atmosphere was casual and comfortable. The amenities are suitable for a family. My only criticisim would be the condition of the beds. We were in a room with two double beds, and the one bed 'creaked" when even slightly moved. The other bed's mattress was concave, and not very comfortable. All in all a good choice for the casual traveler.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Heritage Hotel. We always strive to be friendly and welcoming to every guest, and I’m glad your experience was pleasant. We will investigate the situation with the beds; thank you for bringing it to our attention. I hope you will think of us the next time you are in the area.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Very neat hotel, mix of newly renovated property and some original. They lounge has two pool tables free of charge. Food is OK nothing great but atmosphere is good enough that you don't care.
We had a package that included Dinner and breakfast. Def worth the price. They even have racket ball courts.

Room Tip: Ask to be put in a newly renovated room.