“Not a hotel but a resort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Heritage Hotel

Heritage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Southbury
Long Island, NY
“Not a hotel but a resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I had an excellent stay here Sunday night of Memorial Day wk-end. I was surprised how nice the hotel is, more of a resort than just a hotel, and impressed with the amenities. I did have some confusion when booking the hotel. I was looking for a hotel in the area that was pet friendly and came across Heritage. I called up the hotel directly the night before and asked if they had a room available and I would be bringing a small dog. I was told point blank “no rooms available.” Did he mean no rooms at all or no rooms for my dog, I don't know, he was abrupt and rude. However, on-line at several hotel sites they were listing availability for this hotel. I called up one discount site and wanted clarification about the hotel being listed as “pet friendly” and was told there would be no problem bringing my little pooch. On Sunday we arrived at the hotel at 1:00pm and told room is not ready. I mentioned I have a dog and the counter person who could have been friendlier was surprised and asked if that was written in the reservation (the discount hotel site said that was not necessary) and then said “I have to see if there is a room available for dogs.” Luckily there was. I'm wondering what if there wasn't as reading the hotel information in the room it says there are only 4 or 5 rooms out of I think 140+ rooms that accept dogs. If that is the case, I think the hotel needs to clarify that on it's website and also with the on-line hotel booking sites.

There were 2 weddings going on this w/e so the hotel was crowded. It is a nice setting for weddings and guests could make it into a nice wedding w/e. Our doggie room was right across from the entrance, very convenient to outside. I would equate it with the standards of a Holiday Inn. Yes, the bathroom is small and no bathtub but that didn't affect our positive experience. The room is a nice size.

Into our bathing suits and we headed left of the check-in area thru a wood walkway overlooking both pools and past a sitting area with a ping pong table to the nice looking outdoor pool. I was pleasantly surprised by how large it was for a hotel and how warm the water is considering the pool just opened 2 days prior, it has to be heated.. Plenty of lounge chairs both in the sun and shade situated on rocks. A nice amenity is the pool snack bar. And the outdoor pool does have a lifeguard.

Adjacent to the outdoor pool is the large indoor pool and hot tub. The pool is sectioned off for lap swimming. This is all part of a health club so there are workers at the counter where you get towels, and borrow rackets for both the 2 indoor racket ball courts and 2 outdoor tennis courts. The tennis courts are beyond the outdoor pool and in great shape. There are also mountain bikes you can rent for $5. The health club offers some classes (yoga, pilates) but I think only 1 class Sat morning, others M-F. Not sure if the classes are just for members but also for hotel guests for a fee. Also are large locker rooms, and lemon water and coffee. And there is a golf course (9 hole I think) adjacent as well.

The on-site restaurant reasonably priced but we didn't get a change to try it. There is a pool table, arcade games, and many conference rooms, and a full spa is adjacent. An easy walk across the street is Friendly's restaurant, but we opted to drive 1 mile to Leo's Restaurant, for dinner and breakfast.

The parking lot does fill up when there are weddings but there were still available spots and the walk is not far. Also upon check-in and out, you can drive your car up the front area to load your suitcases.

Heritage Hotel would be great for week-end getaways, family reunions, and weddngs, close to the highway and lots of restaurants in town. Horse backing riding, antiquing, parks – lots to do in this area, We just needed 1 night but I would love to return for a few days.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RhonaP
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy review. I am sorry for the confusion regarding the pet-friendly rooms; we do indeed have a limited number of those rooms. We will review the listings to ensure that is made clearer. I’m glad you were able to enjoy so much of what we have to offer. As you noticed, both the indoor and outdoor pools are heated, and the health club has many options! Thank you again for your kind words – we hope to see you again, maybe even later this summer!

Scott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Boerne, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

When I checked in I asked if there was a shop in the hotel for incidentals. There is not. Linda Rice, who worked for the hotel, was standing on my side of the check in. She asked the receptionist to call "?" and have him take me in the shuttle to Kmart. The shuttle was out for service. Linda asked what I needed and I told her one thing that cost $2. I explained it was not big deal. After 5:00, what I was needing was in my room.

Linda was kind as were the Albanian ladies who cleaned the rooms. Both were personal and taught me how to say good morning and thank you in Albanian. The front desk staff are professional, too. When eating in Shadrocks, ask for Amanda. We ate in this restaurant for 4 nights. The service can be ssllloooooowwwwww. Amanda was our server on Wednesday and we ask for her on Thursday.

The rooms have some inconsistencies. My room was small and the restroom room was as small as a confessional. A friend of mine's room on the side of the hotel that is past the fitness center was larger and had been updated. The hotel was built in the 1970's. You can look around and see areas of the property that are 40 years old. I was on the second floor and the third floor is really squeaks. A friend had a room on the third floor and when I walked to his room, the halls squeaked the whole way. MY advice, ask for a third floor room or on the side of the hotel where the exercise area is. The walls are really thin. While in my room I could hear phones and conversations from next door and across the hall. There are not "standard" refrigerators or safes.

Staying at The Heritage Hotel, Golf, Spa, and Conference Center's name sets a different expectation than the name creates. There is golf, spa, tennis courts, racquetball courts, pools, and a conference center, but it isn't what I had expected. Based on the name and the online photos I visioned a Four-Seasons type experience. It was not. This property needs to be painted and a modest overhaul in a lot of ways. With that said, as long as you know what your getting, don't be afraid to stay here.

Room Tip: Room on the third floor or on the health club side of the property.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. We strive to offer exceptional personal service to every guest, and I’m glad we were able to provide that to you. Your comments regarding the hotel itself are welcome – we have some fantastic plans in the works for updating the property. Stay tuned!

Thanks again,

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

This review is purely based on the room, as we did not have time to try any of the amenities due to a short overnight stay. I would give it a 3.5 rating if I could but rounded up. The room was large and clean. It was fairly quiet. The bathroom was a bit strange in that it appeared that the sink/mirror and toilet area had been recently renovated but the shower had clearly not. The fixtures in the shower were sorely in need of replacement in terms of appearance. This was overall a fairly reasonable (but not luxurious) place to stay at the last minute using a last-minute rate.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vvv3
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m glad your stay was comfortable and quiet. Please think of us the next time you’re in the area; perhaps you can try out our indoor and outdoor pools if you get to have a longer stay next time!

Glastonbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Such a lovely weekend. King room on the third floor was spacious with a beautiful view of the river and a flowering shad tree right outside our window. Large bathroom. Such a treat from the tiny bathrooms I am used to seeing. Very very clean, including the locker rooms and the indoor pool area. Took advantage of the indoor whirlpool and pool. Very relaxing. As you walk through the different parts of the hotel, there are beautifully appointed sitting areas throughout, some with fireplaces, and all with large exposed beams. Did not go to the restaurant on site, but took the package that included the breakfast buffet. The food was very good and the variety was pleasing. The staff were helpful and genuinely concerned about our comfort and happiness. Looking forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LoveYorkies75
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at the Heritage Hotel. I am glad you were able to enjoy the health club amenities and the cozy gathering areas we offer. We hope to see you again soon!

Rego Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We needed a relaxing weekend away from New York and that is exactly what we got. We stayed at the Heritage Hotel for an overnight and got to enjoy a little bit of CT. Our King room was very clean and comfortable, location was convenient, and was a great value.

The hotel was a quick drive from the local vineyards and less than 10 minutes from beautiful hiking at Southford Falls State Park. There are several great restaurants nearby and stores within walking distance. All in all an outstanding experience. We would definitely recommend to others!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarcSo1107
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your kind review of the Heritage Hotel, and I’m glad you were able to take advantage of all the area has to offer. Please think of us the next time you need a weekend away – maybe when our outdoor pool is open for the summer!

Woodbury, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I am an extended stay guest. Everyone is very helpful and the service has been excellent.

I enjoy room service as well as restaurant and the food is delicious. It is a nice resort atmosphere with many amenities and some pretty views outside. The room is spacious and comfortable and I love the large TV. I am grateful for the experience.

All staff have been helpful and I have had special help from Price, Betty, Camilla and Karen

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Kathy C
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! I’m glad you have enjoyed your stay with us and have had the chance to try out all we have to offer. Thank you as well for the kind words regarding the staff; your compliments will be passed on to them.

Scarborough, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Brought the kids for an overnight stay at this hotel and was thrilled with the beautiful views, the comfortable and spacious room, and the facilities. The heated pool and hot tub were fabulous and a big hit with the kids! We also found the breakfast buffet to be outstanding with a great selection and helpful wait staff. Would definitely consider this facility for business meetings, family weddings, or just for a night away with the kids, and will definitely be back! Didn't get a chance to use the Racquetball court or fitness room, but they looked awesome and would have been great for an adult weekend. Overall, the hotel had a very classy feel to it, and I would certainly consider booking future business conferences at this location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ami D
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel and your stay with us. I’m glad you enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the pool. We hope to see you again soon, whether it’s for the summer outdoor pool season or the fantastic fall foliage!

All the best, Scott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southbury
Wyndham Southbury
#1 of 1 in Litchfield
The Mayflower Grace
The Mayflower Grace
#1 of 1 in Washington

Been to Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!