“Great Place for Kids!”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great Place for Kids!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed here in June with my family and my brother's family. There were 6 kids total. We felt totally safe with them playing and riding their bikes around the loop. There were lots of things to do for the kids, the park rangers come around and let you know the schedule. The beach was just right for the kids too. We did minimal hiking. Overall we enjoyed our stay and will return. The only negative thing that happened was at dusk we were invaded by racoons and skunks! We stayed in campsite #17 and the critters just come right out of the woods to invade the site. One tried to take my cooler bag!

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Melissa O

Prospect, Connecticut, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fantastic camping!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was VERY impressed with Kettletown State Park Campground!! Large, clean bathrooms. Showers were the press button, 30 sec shower spray, kind but wáter was NICE temp from get-go, great pressure and FREE. Grounds were clean, sites were large and nicely shaded, roads were paved well, (there are some hills but roads generally flat around camp sites - kids loved riding bikes and I felt safe letting them.) No electric and wáter is shared by several sites (make sure you have a large container to carry and store so you don't have to go back and forth). Ranger drove by all the time to check up on people. You do have to drive to the beach, it is kind of a hike, but the beach área is clean, breazy and worth it. saw rowboats and kayaks and fishing there.
If tent camping and posible rain, site #37 was a LAKE. But most other sites I saw during our 2 days of downpouring rain looked good. Did see some racoons so make sure trash is up high (higher than ours....woke up to a mess!!)
I didn't stay in the cabins but they looked nice(nice porch for rainy weather) and I spoke to someone who had one and they liked it - but something about no food allowed in there??? Not sure so doublé check that.

All in all the ENTIRE family had an AWSOME time and can't wait to go back! Would HIGHLY recommend!!!

Visited July 2013
5 Thank Gretchen C
Trumbull, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“4th of July”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is a state park and the entry fee for vehicles with license plates of CT was $9/day. There are many picnic tables spread throughout the park allowing privacy between the groups. Our group was around 20 people and we had plenty of space to barbecue and play ball games. Even though it was a very hot day, the space we had was under some trees and it did not feel too bad Most certainly the ice cream truck that comes around from time to time made many kids happy. We also enjoyed kayaking and swimming on the lake.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank mctrip5
Hebron, New Hampshire
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Terrible campsite/Good hiking”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

This location has great hiking and a couple of great overlooks, although they are becoming obstructed by growth over the years. I highly recomend this location for hiking only. Camping is a completely different story. I would not go back again, ever. Two nights of parties til three am accompanied by fights, yelling, cursing and swearing. It was so badI thought that someone would be seriously injured in a fight. I tried to get a park ranger, none available. I contacted the State Police and found that there was no trooper covering the area! I have been camping for over 50 years and never had an experience like this. There are far too many nice quiet campsites in CT where, at least in my experience, such things do not happen! I will never go back.
Please note that this happened several years ago. I have not and will not go back again. Too many other great campsites!

Visited July 2012
3 Thank George06483
Oxford, Connecticut
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Awesome place for hiking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

This park is really awesome for hiking or just a nice walk...lots of trails, gorgous...I take my dogs there and we hike, but they have to be on a leash there....They also have camping and lots of places to cook....the river is right there as well.. I wish I would of taken pictures of all the trails and views....highly recommend giving this place a shot if you enjoy hiking or just a nice afternoon walk...the trails go all the way to Jacksons Cove which is another park located in Oxford, Ct....I wrote down below there is a fee to use park...I think there is when the season is open....I did not pay a entrance fee, but I believe in high season you do..

Visited April 2013