“Nice and fridendly B&B with excellent service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southbury
The Cornucopia at Oldfield Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Southbury B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
“Nice and fridendly B&B with excellent service”
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed one week for business. Was surprised how friendly and service minded the owners were. I got an own floor with bedroom and office for working. The house is beautiful and with simple, rustique and nice interiour. No luxury, but for the price very nice.

Breakfast was very nice, and they served a lot of local produce and according to my specific wish.

The only small disadvantage, was the location close to a road crossing. This was not a problem when sleaping, since the room was not situated in that direction, but constant sound when sitting in the garden.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank larwa688

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
McLean
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Our school group used this B&B as the reunion HQ for out of towners. Lovely surroundings. Spacious, clean and welcoming rooms. We felt very much at home - contributing to story telling and confidences into the wee hours. Great fun.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Worth15Trip
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Our family visited for Father's Day and had a perfect experience. The Cornucopia at Oldfield is a charming, historic home but offers all the comforts you could hope for. The rooms are comfortable and immaculate. The linens were so luxurious that I had to purchase a set for my own home. The grounds are beautiful and include an enclosed pool that we had to ourselves. The hosts are welcoming and very well informed about the local history and wealth of activities. Ed and Christine prepared a scrumptious breakfast of french toast, bacon, fruit, yogurt and granola. They were also very welcoming of our young daughter. It is unusual to find a B&B of this quality that welcomes children and we would encourage other parents to consider this as a very special family destination. Thank you.

Room Tip: The Gables offers two bedrooms and bathroom which is perfect for families.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
(Mass.)
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Spacious clean bedrooms, charming sitting rooms, bird feeders everywhere you turn. Our large family party recently took over the Cornucopia for 3 nights. We particularly loved the delicious fresh natural foods for breakfast (the best bacon we've every had), and the yummy appetizers & refreshments in the evening while being warmed by a real wood fire. Pamper yourself by snuggling up in a cozy robe, and tucking yourself into a very comfy bed. You won't want to leave this wonderful place or its hosts, who are the most charming, gracious and generous you'll ever meet (I want to adopt them.). Thank you, Christine and Ed, so very much for all the things, small & large, you did to make us feel welcome. You are THE BEST!

Room Tip: The pictures on their website are a perfect reflection of the rooms. And although it may not be &quo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank BeckiAndTom
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Our family had to gather for a celebration of life service after the death of our beloved aunt. We stayed here at the Cornucopia at Oldfield B&B where Christine and Ed provided us with amazing hospitality, the cleanest and most well-appointed rooms imaginable, perfectly clean bathrooms, comfortable common rooms that we used heavily to gather. The breakfasts were delicious, and they had snacks and drinks for us at other times, too.

The importance of this kind of hospitality at times of loss and family gathering is huge. These hosts gave of themselves in so many ways that we wanted to embrace them into our family.

Christine is an expert caterer, so we asked her to prepare the food for the service. This food was over-the-top perfect and unique. People stayed and stayed to talk to each other and remember our aunt. Meanwhile, Ed offered to record the service for us and was busy recording and then transferring the files. He and Christine are a well coordinated team.

I love houses that ramble enough that it seems you might get lost. This house is a charming old New England building that rambles in that way. It has fabulous old wood floors. They've updated some parts of it so it is easy to use as well as beautiful. The staircases reminded me of my grandmother's place in southern Connecticut and that added even more to the feeling of warmth and elegance.

On a side note: They have a room that I call the honeymoon suite (The Admiral Aston Bedchamber) that I'm recommending to my brother who is getting married this spring.

Thank you, Christine and Ed, you are the best.

Room Tip: The beds in all the rooms are amazingly comfortable, so you can't get a bad room for sleeping we...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lavwind
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I recommend this Inn. I was travelling alone, arrived late and found a welcome letter and key downstairs. When I arrived to my room, I was immediately surprised to learn it shared a common bathroom. I will not share a bathroom, so I found the innkeepers who were more than happy to move my room to a suite with a private bath. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. The room was cozy and charming. Ed brought me fresh water from the well in a carafe. Breakfast was early, but I was able to have everything I needed and was more than comfortable while chatting with Christine. I was pleasantly surprised that she charged me the rate of the cheaper room.

Room Tip: Please be aware that not all rooms have a private bath.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank NJBetsy
cornucopiabnb, Owner at The Cornucopia at Oldfield Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Our historic home was built in 1818 and renovated in 1997 to provide private exclusive bathrooms for each of the guest rooms. Some of the bathrooms are en-suite and others are adjacent to the specific guest room. Each guest is also provided with a bathrobe for their comfort. We are happy to move a guest to a different room, if possible, when a change is requested.
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2011

You may wish this was your house after you've experienced the warm hospitality of Christine and Ed. One of the most beautiful houses in Conneticut I feel sure. The room was pretty and comfortable and the bathroom like stepping back in time but with 21st century amenities. I can only imagine how lovely it would be to sit by the fire on a snowy day or be there in summer and enjoy the garden and pool. Breakfast is different each morning and if you eat en famille you get the chance to talk with people from other parts. When you want to go anywhere Christine will give you local knowledge and maps. Be warned though if you go to The Curtis House to eat you will need to be very hungry.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank floridacool
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southbury
Wyndham Southbury
#1 of 1 in Litchfield
Heritage Hotel
Heritage Hotel
#1 of 2 in Southbury

Been to The Cornucopia at Oldfield Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!