“Great for the price point!”
Review of Wyndham Southbury

Wyndham Southbury
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Southbury
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I had gotten stuck in a terrible rain storm and wasn't able to go as far as I usually did on my travels north from Florida. I desperately needed a room and there they were. Staff both incoming and leaving were very pleasant and accommodating. The suggestion of Patty's for a dinner sandwich was perfect. Free wi-fi worked great! I gave this a 5 because I believe at the fantastic price I got, it suited that rating well, and covered all my needs. I did get a light breakfast delivered and it was a bit pricey, but the convenience after my grueling day the day before was priceless. Everything was very clean and neat, if not the newest and the best. Again, pricepoint! I have a bed & breakfast and perhaps more fussy than most and I was very happy. It was just a minute to get back onto I-84 and continue my journey. I plan to stay here every time I head through on a long journey north from the auto train station in VA.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room away from I-84. It didn't bother me as I was so exhau...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
SBCrowne, Director of Sales at Wyndham Southbury, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Thurstonbb;
Thank you very much for your 5 star review. We strive to meet our guest expectations and are happy we met yours. We hope to see you on more of your trips. Thank you again.
Warm regards, Christine Mazzoli, Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Hotel a bit tired but rooms very large and recently decorated. Restaurant on site. Price very reasonable for a Crowned and easy to access from I 84.
Next door to hotel is a gas station and next to that (2 minute walk) is Patty's Pantry. Variety store/deli -great spot to pick up freshly made sandwiches and salads for the road.

Room Tip: Only a three storey hotel without views so imagine any room would be fine. We were in 256 and it a v...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HappyCanadian13
SBCrowne, Director of Sales at Wyndham Southbury, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear HappyCanadian13;
Thank you for your 4 star review. As you mentioned, the hotel is located off of I-84 with very easy access. We do offer a full breakfast buffet and a la carte option for our guest to enjoy. For our lunch and dinner menus we change with the season's adding entree's to enhance the time of year, however we keep the favorites.
We are glad you enjoyed our property and hope to have you back with us in the near future. In 2015 we are scheduled for a complete guest room renovation and welcome you back at that time as well.
Warm regards, Christine Mazzoli Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We took our son here overnight for his birthday because when we asked him what he wanted for his birthday he said he wanted to stay at a hotel with a pool. We chose this hotel because he loves to fish and there is a great spot nearby (Southford falls state park). The staff here are very friendly- the front desk reception was very good on check in and when we checked out I told the receptionist I loved the toiletries they provided in the room and she gave me a few to take home in a bag. Also my son is a picky eater and at breakfast he was complaining the bread at the buffet was too stale for him to make toast- a server overheard us and brought him some fresh toast from the kitchen without us even asking. The buffet breakfast was 12.95- good value. The pool was OK- kind of dated and small but clean. Our room was clean and huge- we had 1 king and sofa bed for $118/night. They even had a huge function going on down in the ballroom and we still got great sleep (3rd floor)- the only bad thing was when we came back from dinner there was hardly any parking left probably because of the function in the ballroom. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor if there is wedding or function in ballroom
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
SBCrowne, Director of Sales at Wyndham Southbury, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Eoesau;
Thank you for your five star review. We do all that we can to make our guest feel welcome from the moment they walk through our doors to the moment they leave. We are very pleased to hear our staff met and exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you back and hope your son enjoyed his birthday.
Warm regards, Christine Mazzoli Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Nice place. Clean and centrally located. Staff is courteous and helpful. My only complaint is that the pool is used weekdays from 8am -630pm as a preschool swim school. This information is not shown on the website or the guest services directory. We found out when we went to use the pool and there were 12 children having lessons.
Disappointed, as this was a weekend away from our kids and a chance to relax.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Kellydeette
Reviewed 8 May 2014

i had a late night drive home and needed to stop off... booked on the road using the hilton app... got in after 10:30pm and the desk was staffed (suit and tie) and people were at the bar... it is located right off 84 and not hard to find at all... speedy check-in... the hotel has a very wide span of sqft... 3 floors (elevators are slow but quiet)... its a long walk to the smoker rooms (those non-smokers would appreciate that as well)... the windows open (hurray!) so you can decide if you want recycled air or fresh air... haven't done a meal there (maybe next time)... bed was very nice... the "free" bathroom toiletries deliver a nicer "high-end" feel... would repeat

Room Tip: low room numbers (x00 to x20) are around the backside and open to a quiet view with a flowing stream...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
SBCrowne, Director of Sales at Wyndham Southbury, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Erik F
Thank you for the review. We are happy you found us on your mobile App. We appreciate our guest and hope you will return to our property again.

All the best,
Christine

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I was traveling from NJ to Hartford and had a car accident with the company vehicle. After a nightmarish search for assistance, I was able to get a ride to the hotel because I learned that it was a bus stop for Peter Pan Bus Lines. Front desk associate Kayla was extremely helpful in interpreting the bus schedule for me. Once we realized I would have to wait over two hours for the bus she offered me a discount card to use at the restaurant. She also allowed me to use the business center to purchase the bus ticket. I initially declined the meal because I had lost my appetite over all the stress. An hour later, after purchasing my ticket, I reconsidered, but Kayla was on her break. I explained what happened to Jordan and he gladly provided the discount card. Each associate was incredibly friendly, professional, and helpful. They really rescued my trip. If I am ever in that area again, I intend to use the hotel. A+ customer service and I wasn't even a staying customer!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Buddy R
SBCrowne, Director of Sales at Wyndham Southbury, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Buddy R;
Thank you for the 5 Star Review. Our staff will always do everything possible to exceed our guest expectations. We are very proud of our front desk team. They continue to provide the level of hospitality service our guest deserve. We appreciate the time you took to write a review and hope the next time you visit you will have the opportunity to stay with us as well.
Warm regards, Christine Mazzoli, Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a funeral as it was pretty much the only hotel in the area. The building used to be a Best Western or a Comfort Inn type hotel. Therefore, the rooms are not really befitting of the Crown Plaza name, as we had hoped.

Pros:
Reasonable rates
Good location
Pool, hot tub, sauna
Fairly up to date exercise room
Bar and restaurant on the property
Lots of pillows on the bed

Cons:
Tub had peeling coating and mildew
Breakfast very expensive for the food offered (12.95 for scrambled eggs and make your own waffles plus fruit, bread etc.)
Hallways smelled like cigarette smoke

We stayed here because it was literally the only hotel in the area we needed to be in for the funeral. The property needs updating. I would not return unless similar circumstances arose.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MeLiElHe
SBCrowne, Director of Sales at Wyndham Southbury, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear MPeterson;

Our sincerest condolences for your loss.

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Guest reviews (good or poor) always help us to continue to strive to exceed our guest expectations. My apologies for not exceeding yours.

The hotel was built in the 80's as a Renaissance hotel, converted to a Hilton in the 90's and in 2005 we became a Crowne Plaza. In 2012 we renovated our bedding package to the new IHG Crowne Plaza brand standards and in 2015 we are scheduled for our complete guest room renovations.

We offer three different options for breakfast at different price points for our guest to choose (A la Carte, Continental and Full Buffet) We appreciate your comment and will forward your concern to our Food and Beverage team.

Christine Mazzoli
Director of Sales & Marketing

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southbury
Hampton Inn Waterbury
#1 of 2 in Naugatuck
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
La Quinta Inn & Suites Danbury
Hilton Garden Inn Danbury

Been to Wyndham Southbury? Share your experiences!