“Cheap and Adequate.”

Motel 6 Hartford - Southington
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Southington
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Had to find a place to stay during my time when I moved out of old house, and finding a apartment, 20 days to be exact. And at $43.85 per night, all taxes included, it was the cheapest place to stay. I will soon know why.

Arrival: I arrived on July 18th for my stay, and was assigned Room 326, which was a end room, which I liked. I had reserved a room with a refrigerator and microwave due to my extended stay, and had said items when I arrived into my room. The hotel is a series of 3 buildings, 2 stories each, 2 next to each other, and a 3rd smaller building that is placed at a angle. The building are close enough so that the interior rooms have a court like atmosphere. When I arrived, they had 2housekeeps not show up, so they had 30 dirty rooms that could not be assigned. The room I got was a smoking room, which is not what what I would have preferred, but the room was sprayed to mask most of the smoke order.

The Room: Tom Bodet says a Motel 6 offers clean comfortable rooms, and I really can't complain too much here. My room had 2 full sized beds, and were plenty comfy. Furniture was very basic, as in a desk with shelves. Bathroom was a toilet/bathtub room, and outside vanity. I found shower clean, decent water pressure, and plenty of hot water. The vanity sink had a very low pressure fixture. The bathroom area came with 3 bath towels, which I found to be on the small side. 2 small towels to place in front of bathtub and vanity sink, a washcloths. Soap was also provided. The rooms are hardwood with the exception of right in front of the door, which has carpet. The room had a wall mounted heat/ac unit that worked off a wall thermostat. The Hotel has just gone through a renovation where all the rooms were updated. Problem with this, is that every room was not done 100%. On the second day, I started hearing a dripping sound coming from my toilet room. I informed the front desk, who sent a maintenance man to check on the problem. Turns out that the people the did the renovations didn't caulk the bathroom in the room above me. The repair guy had to punch a hole in the ceiling to drain the water. The Hotel offered to move me, I declined, because I thought they would fixed the problem, or at least not rent upstairs room until fixed. Well the didn't happen, and 2 days later drip was big problem, so I moved to Room 310. That room smelt like a cigarette carton. Took me a couple of days to get most of smoke smell out. Room did work overall though.

Atmosphere: This is obviously a hotel that caters to people, like myself, who are between residences. Sometimes the courtyard felt like a project, kids running around, people partying in their rooms to all hours of the night, and a lot of people smoking weed in the rooms. To the hotels credit, they kicked out a lot of the worst offenders, and I applaud them for that.

In conclusion, if you need a cheap place to stay, this is the place, comfortable beds, and if you get a courtyard room, usually some type of show provided by the other long term hotel guests.

Room Tip: If you want a non-smoking room, you have to ask for a outside room that is not within the courtyard...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Hartford - Southington

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Motel 6's have come a long way in their accommodations to guests over the years. Most are redoing the rooms. This room was very small, but the room was clean. Bathroom amenities were okay. No tissues in the room or shampoo available if travelers need that sort of thing. I did not like the bed right up against the air conditioning unit. The price was on the upper end of reasonable for what was there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2013

This is a overnight stop I've used 5 or 6 times, and have been happy until now. We arrived about 10 pm and construction was going on in some of the rooms. There was a lot of unsaviory looking characters hanging out in the parking lot in and around cars. We opened our room door and the tv was on, which freeked my wife out. It was supposed to be a no smoking queen room and it smelt freshly smoked in, and had a double bed. It was otherwise clean and freshly painted, but probably won't stop here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Traveler2969
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Much better than before!! Rooms brand new!! All new bedding and wood effect flooring. Very reasonable $59.79 with tax! Better than the holiday inn express @ 136.85 with tax that sux. Like all motel 6 properties it's very economy like with pretty much no amenities but its clean & cheap!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 24 May 2013

While here, the place was being remodled. One wing was finised and looked great. One was in the midst of being renovated and looked like a war zone with piles of working materials, etc. The third wing was the "old" style Motel 6 and was a bit worn. But once done, this place will be nice.

Since I was on a deeply discounted rate, I was in the "old" style rooms. It was OK, but worn. Since it will be changing soon, I don't want to focus on those aspects.

Why I liked my stay here. My employer gave me gift cards for McD's, Shell, and Denny's. All three, (and the freeway entrances) were adjacent making for convienence. Lot's of other stuff nearby.

Room Tip: If paying standard rate, ask for a refreshed room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2012

recently stayed 2 wife n daughter!! Boy how GROSS!!!! The carpet was filthy,the beds smelled,the shower had NOOO water pressure!! We complained about the wifi numerous times n got NOWHERE!!! WHAT A DUMP!! The heating/AC Units were filthy bon the outside n it was a waste of $52.89/nt ($45.99tt) STAY AWAY!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank past0rJ
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Fabulous value for the money. The rooms where in good condition. Parking was not a problem. The bathroom needs some renovation in the tub department. Only a couple of slight issues with the place. Front desk staff where rather incompetent with extending my stay, and gave me the run around for a few days until it was finally resolved at check out. Since there seemed to be some sort of hold on my room. The other issue was that the mail house keeper would repeatedly yell from the top level to the bottom level {to the other house keeper} in mourning. Which resulted in me not getting enough sleep. It's also right next door to a Starbucks.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southington
Residence Inn Southington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Red Roof Inn Hartford - New Britain
Homewood Suites by Hilton Southington
Fairfield Inn & Suites Plainville

Been to Motel 6 Hartford - Southington? Share your experiences!