“Good Value, odd quirks”
Review of Hotel Zero Degrees

Hotel Zero Degrees
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I really want to rate this hotel higher at 4, but some of the odd things force me to rate at 3. The hotel's in a great location, right around the corner from the downtown/night spot area. It used to be the YMCA which had rooms, so many of the rooms are small; not a big deal. The Y is actually still on the first and second floors in the back of the hotel. And it is free to use, which is awesome.

However, the area out front really needs to be fixed up; that's more of a downtown issue than a hotel issue. The sidewalks are brutal. The hotel is also a bit difficult to get into. There is a ramp access but it's not well marked. The main entrance is up a huge flight of stairs. Not convenient. They should add a bellman service and valet.

Parking is also difficult. It's underneath and the spaces are really tight and not well marked. I was told I could park in the spots marked for the Y; I assume they must now have spots elsewhere, but they should be repainted. There are two ramps, but you only use one, so be careful. Other cars are parked on the up ramp. This is why there should be a valet. And they need more luggage carts, and to keep a better eye on them.

The staff is fine for the most part; some are friendlier than others. One guy, who may be the manager or he may be the shuttle driver, or even both, is very friendly, but should probably stalk the lobby a bit less.

Very nice lobby area where you can escape your room and work, but the MUZAK SUCKS! This is where it gets quirky. The lobby music kind of reminds me of Indian Dance Club? It's on a loop, and it's just bizarre. After a while I was able to tune it out, but still. And staff needs to pay more attention to what's on TV in lobby. It should be more innocuous cable news, not Jerry Springer.

The free breakfast IS AWESOME! Not a lot of selection, but pretty good. I'd mix up the meats more often; bacon gets old after a day or two.

The cleaning service is very very slow; I think I've read that elsewhere. I asked the cleaning lady when I went out at lunch, when she was right by my room, to clean it while I was out a few hours. I came back at 4 it was STILL NOT CLEANED! Then she knocked at 4:30 and I told her forget it. And I tipped good, too, at beginning of stay.

I see one other review that mentions the soda machines; yes they were all empty. I've seen people remark on the view; what are you expecting? It's downtown.

One other thing about the rooms; the TV's were nice, but poorly programmed. The descrptions didn't match the channels. And one station, YES, was programmed in spanish. The remote would not let me change it.

Anyway, I do see a lot of upside, but attention to detail, the little things, make me rate this a 3. And somehow, I get the feeling that there's been quite a few fluff reviews on here.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jmsmith314
Timothy_Simpson, Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear Jmsmith314 ,

I appreciate your feedback on us. Some of the “odd quirks” you nicely referred to are indeed a work in progress for us and some are out of our control. Things like the sidewalk or the views of downtown are an example of items we have no control over. At Hotel Zero Degrees we are keen on delivering the best possible service all the times and are continuously evaluating ways to improve it. I especially take the time to read and respond to all guests reviews understanding what their needs and expectations are. After all, great value and ultimate guest satisfaction is the ideal goal. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back once more . Have an enjoyable rest of the summer and safe travels.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

For $150+ a night I was expecting more. The only benefit of this hotel is that parking is included in the price and that it is walkable to the Metro-North station (however scary that was at night since the advertised included local shuttle ends at 1030pm)

The quality of the food at breakfast was average- the potatoes tasted like bacon, yogurt was in 2oz cups, there was no cold water.

I was charged for bottled water that didn't exist.

The staff was friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank lest2039

Dear Lest2039 ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about us. Good to know our staff were friendly on their interactions with you. My apologies for the inaccurate water charge to your room. If you have not already done so please feel free to call me at 203-363-7900 regarding those charges I am more than happy to reverse them and apologize for any inconvenience caused. Safe travels and have and an enjoyable rest of the summer.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

I found online, and pictures are very deceiving. Rooms are VERY small, and service is crap! Soda machines were empty on every floor! Staff had to go to store for soda, which took 25 minutes! Pull out sofa had springs showing in matress pad. Terrible view , unless you like to look at rooftop air conditioners. Only one elevator, which the staff has to use as well. The swimming pool is part of a YMCA, so don't plan on having a quiet time by the pool. And to top it all off, if you can't park on property due to lack of parking...you must park in a lot behind the hotel. Overall...a bunch of hot air, and poor service. Better off at a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Thomas R
Timothy_Simpson, Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Dear Thomas R,

Thank you for taking a moment to post your comments about us. My sincerest apologies on what seems to have been a lackluster stay at the hotel. Due to our downtown city location most views are of the corporate buildings in the area. Our partnership with the YMCA allows our guests complimentary access to a fully equipped fitness center, and full length indoor pool- an unlikely amenity at most metropolitan hotels. Because it is a YMCA pool there are designated swim times and shared pool activities. I always encourage guests when staying at this hotel or any other for that fact to allow us an opportunity to correct any flaws/problem as they happen giving the hotel an opportunity to rectify it and hopefully ensure guest satisfaction.Safe travels and enjoy the rest of the Summer!

Reviewed 12 August 2012

My trip to Stamford CT, to visit Hotel Zero Degrees was an enjoyable one to say the least the service was excellent and the room was very comfortable, I arrived late on a Friday night for a romantic weekend. The staff was more then helpful in everything that I asked them for. The modern design of the rooms are excellent the hotel in general is a special GEM. Stamford struck gold with this hotel again the design is what makes it so very different from other hotels in the area. The parking lot does get full quickly but staff will HELP you for the evening and park your car on the side they will take your keys overnight. The transportation was a bonus takes you around Stamford for FREE!!!

Room Tip: For more space I suggest a KING but the Queen size rooms were just as comfortable and pleasant
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Dave T,

I appreciate you posting this wonderful review about us. I am pleased to know that our helpful staff, modern décor and comfortable rooms culminated in a exceptional stay with us. Our Front Desk team is always eager to help wherever we can and welcome the opportunity to do so. Parking may become full at times but our staff are ready to can always assist, there is also additional parking directly behind in the Bell St Garage. Our complimentary shuttle adds another level of convenience picking up and dropping guests off within a 3 mile radius of the hotel. We are happy to have been your choice for a romantic weekend getaway and hope to see you for many more. Safe travels and enjoy the rest of the Summer.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Located right in the heart of Stamford, this hotel has everything you would want from a business hotel except a coffee maker in the room and a mini-bar. But since they serve a complimentary breakfast buffet the coffeemaker is less important. Comfortable beds and very friendly helpful staff. Bonus is access to an excellent pool at 5:30am.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Tishinha

Dear Tishinha,

Thank you for taking the time to your great review. I am glad we were able to meet your business needs- you are correct we do not have a mini-bars however there are coffee makers in the room. It is a black single serve cup usually situated on top of the work desk area. My apologies if your room did not have one or perhaps you overlooked it. In any event I will ask my Housekeeping team to do an overview ensuring they are present in each room. We are glad to have provided you with a comfortable stay that met your business needs. Safe travel and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Kenneth R

Reviewed 6 August 2012

My family and I travel some few 100 miles;for business & family time. When we arrived at Hotel Zero; we was amazed at its beauty and friendly staff.We was able to check in fast;get a great night sleep;wake up to very nice complimentary breakfast spread in the morning.Starbucks coffee & teas available 24 hrs a day.They have a nice pool and exercise room available.On cite parking garage is nice and available; in the event it is pack they can recommend where to park safely.Very clean hotel;with comfort~

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RealTruthatU
Timothy_Simpson, Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear RealTruthatU,

Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful review about us, especially since we were able to meet both your business and family needs. We strive to provide a clean, comfortable and welcoming environment for all our guests and it seems we did just that for you. Our partnership with the YMCA is a definite perk for our guests offering an extensive fitness center and pool facilities. Of course whenever next you and your family are planning a trip to the Stamford area we hope to be your first choice once more! Until then safe travels and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Property Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Crowne Plaza Stamford
Sheraton Stamford Hotel
#1 of 14 in Stamford
Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel

Been to Hotel Zero Degrees? Share your experiences!