“Good hotel for a cheap price; Very questionable street.”
Review of Hotel Zero Degrees

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
New York City, New York
“Good hotel for a cheap price; Very questionable street.”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed here this weekend for one night only with my friend. We live in NYC and were visiting some friends, and since we were going to be drinking, we didn't want to have to drive back so we booked a fairly inexpensive room at what looked like a great hotel ($100 for the night.) It definitely wasn't a bad experience at all - the hotel is modern with a city feel to it inside, the rooms are nice but small (we were upgraded to a 'king suite' and it was small... I'd hate to see the room we originally had!), the bathrooms were nice and clean. Overall it was a pleasurable experience. There are a few issues - as others have mentioned, the views aren't great (but hey, you're in Stamford, not a tropical island), but the strip of stores directly across the street from the hotel were extremely sketchy. This is of course not a reflection of the hotel at all, but just something to be aware of. I had to run across the street to get a bottle of water at the deli since the vending machines that I found in the hotel were empty (and there were no other means of food/drinks in the hotel), and there were shady characters outside drinking 40s making derogatory comments to me. Stamford is a nice place overall but for some reason, this is just a random questionable street. There's only one elevator in the hotel so the few times that we were going in/out of the hotel we had to wait a bit. Those are really my only complaints but overall I was happy with my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jhnyc28
Timothy_Simpson, Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Dear JHnyc28,

Thank you for posting this review. I am glad the hotel served as a convenient and affordable stay while visiting friends. Downtown Stamford and in particular Washington Blvd is developing rapidly with numerous residential and commercial outlets locating here, soon enough those stores will be a thing of the past. We have bottled water on sale in the rooms and soda in the vending machines. However, if there is something you like please let the Front Desk know and we can get it for you. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you once more.

Hotel Zero Degrees

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Upon arriving, our room wasn't ready and the front desk person had a porter take out bags and pointed us to free refreshments. Out room was very comfortable and the room was updated wonderfully. We understand that each room is different as this hotel was formerly a YMCA. We'd highly recommend this hotel in downtown Stamford. A real plus is the free underground parking.

Room Tip: Great location!!!
Dear Rockydogz1,

I appreciate you taking the time to post this great review about us. Our team is always happy to accommodate guests wherever they can. Thank you for recommending us and we hope to see you in the near future for another great stay. Safe travels!

New Haven
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This hotel is located in a prime location, close to many downtown restaurants, shopping toptions and entertainment. Prices are very reasonable and the rooms are super clean. No complaints. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melody A
Timothy_Simpson, Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear MelodyA,

Thank you for posting this review about us. I am glad our convenient downtown location gave you easy access to all Stamford has to offer. We are glad to have met your needs for a clean comfortable stay and certainly look forward to seeing you again in the very near future. Safe Travels!

Stamford
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Stayed here for one night to catch up with an old buddy in Stamford Was great, clean friendly, awesome location, right in the heart of the Stamford restaurant/bar scene. Amazingly quiet however for sleeping.. Have stayed in many other hotels in Stamford on my way to NY. I would never think of staying anywhere else again. The hot, delicious breakfast was the icing on the cake. wish I could have stayed another night.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank professorFalmouth
Dear ProfessorFalmouth,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. My team and I are pleased to have been able to provide you with a thoroughly enjoyable stay. Thank you for making us your preferred hotel when going to NYC. We look forward to welcoming you once more -enjoy the remaining days of summer and safe travels.

Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The online description and reviews are very deceiving. The hotel is not bad... but it's just mediocre. As others have commented, the rooms are very small and some have just hideously poor views. On the other hand, they seem fairly clean and have decent furniture. The location, internet and breakfast are all nice.

On the poor side... the elevator is ridiculous. The machine to swipe the key card works about 1/3 of the time. The staff tells me every day, hilariously, that the repairman is coming "tomorrow." That may work on the one-night guest, but I've been here 3 weeks! In addition, some of the rooms have key card slots that do not work. One room was so bad that it was never cleaned. When I asked why (3rd day of no cleaning service), they told me the maids couldn't get in because of the key card. ...great, fix it maybe?

DO NOT RELY ON THE SHUTTLE SERVICE. Yes, they have it and it's fine when it works. Unfortunately, about half the time, "the shuttle is not running today." They might as well just get rid of the shuttle service, because it's so unreliable you need a car anyway.

Overall - the hotel is fine, but I expected much more from the advertising. It's exaggerated to the max.

Room Tip: Face the street
2 Thank mramm
Statesboro, Georgia
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I really want to rate this hotel higher at 4, but some of the odd things force me to rate at 3. The hotel's in a great location, right around the corner from the downtown/night spot area. It used to be the YMCA which had rooms, so many of the rooms are small; not a big deal. The Y is actually still on the first and second floors in the back of the hotel. And it is free to use, which is awesome.

However, the area out front really needs to be fixed up; that's more of a downtown issue than a hotel issue. The sidewalks are brutal. The hotel is also a bit difficult to get into. There is a ramp access but it's not well marked. The main entrance is up a huge flight of stairs. Not convenient. They should add a bellman service and valet.

Parking is also difficult. It's underneath and the spaces are really tight and not well marked. I was told I could park in the spots marked for the Y; I assume they must now have spots elsewhere, but they should be repainted. There are two ramps, but you only use one, so be careful. Other cars are parked on the up ramp. This is why there should be a valet. And they need more luggage carts, and to keep a better eye on them.

The staff is fine for the most part; some are friendlier than others. One guy, who may be the manager or he may be the shuttle driver, or even both, is very friendly, but should probably stalk the lobby a bit less.

Very nice lobby area where you can escape your room and work, but the MUZAK SUCKS! This is where it gets quirky. The lobby music kind of reminds me of Indian Dance Club? It's on a loop, and it's just bizarre. After a while I was able to tune it out, but still. And staff needs to pay more attention to what's on TV in lobby. It should be more innocuous cable news, not Jerry Springer.

The free breakfast IS AWESOME! Not a lot of selection, but pretty good. I'd mix up the meats more often; bacon gets old after a day or two.

The cleaning service is very very slow; I think I've read that elsewhere. I asked the cleaning lady when I went out at lunch, when she was right by my room, to clean it while I was out a few hours. I came back at 4 it was STILL NOT CLEANED! Then she knocked at 4:30 and I told her forget it. And I tipped good, too, at beginning of stay.

I see one other review that mentions the soda machines; yes they were all empty. I've seen people remark on the view; what are you expecting? It's downtown.

One other thing about the rooms; the TV's were nice, but poorly programmed. The descrptions didn't match the channels. And one station, YES, was programmed in spanish. The remote would not let me change it.

Anyway, I do see a lot of upside, but attention to detail, the little things, make me rate this a 3. And somehow, I get the feeling that there's been quite a few fluff reviews on here.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jmsmith314
Timothy_Simpson, Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear Jmsmith314 ,

I appreciate your feedback on us. Some of the “odd quirks” you nicely referred to are indeed a work in progress for us and some are out of our control. Things like the sidewalk or the views of downtown are an example of items we have no control over. At Hotel Zero Degrees we are keen on delivering the best possible service all the times and are continuously evaluating ways to improve it. I especially take the time to read and respond to all guests reviews understanding what their needs and expectations are. After all, great value and ultimate guest satisfaction is the ideal goal. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back once more . Have an enjoyable rest of the summer and safe travels.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 August 2012

For $150+ a night I was expecting more. The only benefit of this hotel is that parking is included in the price and that it is walkable to the Metro-North station (however scary that was at night since the advertised included local shuttle ends at 1030pm)

The quality of the food at breakfast was average- the potatoes tasted like bacon, yogurt was in 2oz cups, there was no cold water.

I was charged for bottled water that didn't exist.

The staff was friendly.

3 Thank lest2039
Dear Lest2039 ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about us. Good to know our staff were friendly on their interactions with you. My apologies for the inaccurate water charge to your room. If you have not already done so please feel free to call me at 203-363-7900 regarding those charges I am more than happy to reverse them and apologize for any inconvenience caused. Safe travels and have and an enjoyable rest of the summer.

Property Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,274 reviews
Courtyard Stamford Downtown

Been to Hotel Zero Degrees? Share your experiences!