“First stay, but definitely not the last”
Review of Hotel Zero Degrees

Hotel Zero Degrees
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed 19 February 2014

First time I've ever heard of hotel zero degrees, but very pleased. The service was friendly, the room was clean and comfortable. Free breakfast in the morning was hands down the best I've had at any hotel. The only problem I had was the first come, first serve shuttle. I wish there were some way to reserve it at a specific time. In any case, I would definitely recommend staying here... a nice modern look and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Kevin_Gross, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Adam J,

Thank you for posting this great review following your first stay with us. I will be sure to share this review with our breakfast attendant Anna, who will be glad to know the breakfast had such a positive impact on your stay. It is always refreshing to hear the staff is friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back for many more pleasant visits.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was planning a romantic date night for my boyfriend and I on Valentines Day and we could not have been more pleased!! We had an incredibly flawless night staying at Hotel Zero Degrees. The atmosphere of the hotel and along with the staff is incredible, super clean and very inviting. Highly recommend going here!!

• Stayed: February 2014
Kevin_Gross, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear DanaGruner,

Thank you for sharing this great feedback from your date night with us. We are glad we were able to help make this Valentine's Day a special one for both you and your boyfriend. Hearing the staff was incredible, and the hotel super clean is very pleasing. We hope to welcome both you and your boyfriend back again soon for another flawless date night.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We decided to take a Valentine getaway yesterday and wanted a hotel near the restaurants and walkable to the train. What a good choice this was as the room was beatiful, clean and included all the things you would expect from some of the more expensive chains. This hotel has free movies and parking....They even gave us an early check in along with an upgraded room. Don't forget to try the free breakfast on Sunday morning which included eggs, waffles, bacon, sausage, home fries, bagels, fruit and more. The staff was very friendly and met all of our needs. Sorry to say we did not have time use the beautiful pool. This was one of our nicer stays in a hotel. Looking forward to another trip back here during the nicer weather. KFD

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear KFD2014,

We appreciate you taking a moment to post this great review about your recent stay. It sounds like your Valentine's Day getaway went well, and you were able to take advantage of some of the amenities the hotel has to offer. I am glad you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating, and you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, it is quite the spread. Hopefully you get a chance to use the pool during your next visit, the nicer weather is almost here.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Great hotel a short walk for the train station so easy access to NYC. We had a lot of luggage which would have made the walk difficult in the snow but no worries, there is a free shuttle bus which was great. Nice room with an excellent breakfast included in the price. It's nicely located for downtown Stamford and the mall with lots of pubs and restaurants practically on your doorstep. Will definitely stay here again when we visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Carol M,

Thank you for taking the time to review to your recent stay. I am glad the shuttle was able to navigate the snow and get you to the train station safely, hopefully your visit to NYC went well. The hotel is ideally located right in the heart of downtown Stamford, which provides us with plenty of dining and night life right around the corner. We are glad you were able to enjoy some of the great places the area has to offer. Thank you again for the great review, we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I recently stayed at Hotel Zero Degrees in Norwalk and it was wonderful! The lobby is gorgeous, as is the magnificent restaurant. The rooms are lovely, comfortable, and beautifully appointed with everything you could need (flat screen TV, iPod docking station, free Wifi, etc.). The staff is unbelievably friendly and helpful. It's also a terrific location, with a variety of restaurants and shops on the same street. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone who was looking for something different than the regular chain hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back side of the hotel overlook a beautiful river and waterfall.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 1 night with a group of friends while watching a taping of the Steve Wilkos show. I wasn't involved in the hotel selection so I didn't know what to expect. The hotel was easy to find but the garage could stand out a little more (we drove by the garage entrance once or twice). The garage was a little tight and smelled of chlorine because of the adjacent YMCA building. There was construction being done at the Y so multiple parking spots were taken up by work trucks and building materials. Other than that there was no interference from the construction. Check-in was a breeze and the staff was polite. My girlfriend and I had 1 room and the other couple had another. Our room was nice and modern looking, but the layout was odd. It was in a backwards "L" shape. It was still nice. Breakfast was just okay. We got down there with over an hour left of breakfast time and there wasn't a whole lot to choose from, but can't be too picky with a free hotel breakfast. Overall experience would make me return again for a second stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Kevin_Gross, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Greg D,

We genuinely appreciate you taking the time to post this wonderful review. It is always a good feeling when one of our guest is pleasantly surprised at how great a hotel we have here. I am glad check in was a breeze and the staff was polite. It sounds like you were in one of our Deluxe King rooms, which despite having an odd layout is very spacious. We hope you enjoyed the Steve Wilkos show and your visit to Stamford. We look forward to welcoming both you and your friends back for another weekend getaway.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

My partner and I booked a room for a Saturday night having stayed at the Hotel Zero Degrees in Norwalk with the highest of raves from us. We have stayed in the Norwalk hotel many times, love it and continue to go there.
Anticipation for the same experience in Stamford went from dismay to disgust as the Stamford Hotel Zero was a completely different experience, almost as thought it was run by a different company.
The overall impression was one of a struggling enterprise on its last legs and trying to stay in business by pinching pennies in the extreme.
Using the supplies room keys was frustrating right off as they seemed only to take you to the basement rather than the 7th floor. Repeated tries were to no avail. A simple sign in the elevator such as the one in Norwalk would have rectified the mystery of key use. How much could this cost?
Room was reasonably priced (less in fact than Norwalk ) but quite a bit smaller.
Appeared clean but my partner complained of bed bug like itching afterward. The in wall heater looked and sounded like it had been there from the 70's. It was so loud that one could not hear the TV unless blasted to levels inconsiderate of others. Like standing on the runway as a jet took off when it kicked in. They were so loud you could hear the one from the floor below in our room. The loud people in the hall at 4:30 am completed a sleepless evening.
The morning shower was tight for a couple but we had to share as there was only one wash cloth supplied and the towels were threadbare.
Eagerly awaiting a hearty breakfast and good coffee as we always get in Norwalk proved the final straw as neither were to be had. The man who cut in front of me at the breakfast line was smarter than I, as he got the last of the food at only 8:45 on a Sunday morning. I waited patiently and finally knocked on the kitchen door only to be greeted with a dirty look and no eggs. The coffee said Starbucks, but was brown water with no caffeine effect.
Went to the front desk and mentioned that there were 6 or 8 people standing waiting for food and there was none to be had. She was quite polite and mentioned that they had no kitchen and had to send out for food! When asked about speaking to the manager I was told there was no manager on the weekends but he did stop in occasionally (!). This explained a great deal. I requested a call back if he randomly appeared and left my number.
Upon leaving we discovered that the parking area was a disaster with my partner being blocked in by someone right in front of her vehicle. There were no stripes (or very faded) on the floor to indicate parking areas and the cars were parked willy nilly. How much could stripes cost?
I arrived at the exit door on top of the ramp and it did not open. I got out of my vehicle and pressed to button to open to no result.- locked. The guy behind me was much smarter and drove out the entrance ramp! This high risk behavior apparently was the norm. We we finally were able to leave this scary urban underground maze after 25 minutes of backing and filling. I called the front desk again and complained about the exit door not working. The friendly woman informed me that this was normal as it provided an additional parking space in front of the door!!
I can imagine what the fire marshal will have to say about this. Not to mention the liability if one is hit head on going up the entrance ramp.
Again I requested a comp on the room and was told the desk could not do this and only the M.I.A. manager would be able to do this.
Eight hours later I had not received any phone called from the so called manager and called the desk again. No manager this day (any day?) but someone did call and unapologetic-ally did comp me on the room.
In general everything appeared as thought it was run down and about to go out of business. Lack of management would be the first place to look as it always starts the top. We are thrilled with the Norwalk Hotel Zero Degrees and are staying there again this weekend. We will pass this on the the owner and pass on this Hotel in Stamford.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brainstorm955

Dear Brainstorm955,

Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback from your recent visit. We are disappointed to hear you experienced so many issues during what turned out to be a very poor stay. I apologize, as we expect every guest to leave our property well rested and fully satisfied. It seems we fell well short of the expectations set by your previous visits to our new property in Norwalk, and although that is a brand new hotel, you should have had the same experience here in Stamford.
I apologize for your issues with our key system, which is slightly different than the system used in Norwalk. For added safety, our elevator requires each guest to swipe their key in order to access their floor, I apologize again if this was not explained to you at check in. However your constructive feedback has lead us to have a sign made for the elevator making this clear to all of our guest.
Although the majority of our guest rave about our breakfast, it seems you were disappointed, and for that I apologize. The eggs are made fresh each mourning, and perhaps our breakfast attendant had trouble keeping up with what sounded like a large crowd that particular day. I have met with our breakfast team following your review and come up with some ways we can be more prepared for busy mornings and times.
Our parking lot does fill up quite often, and to help accommodate as many guest as possible we do occasionally valet some vehicles. This may explain some of the cars parked in areas that did not have allotted spots. Should any guest ever need assistance with parking or removing their car our staff is always available. The stripes and arrows were last painted in October, but the winter conditions could have contributed to some fading. I will be sure to have our maintenance team add a fresh coat in the next few weeks.
We did have a manager on duty the day of your reservation arrival and departure. I think there may have been some confusion, as the staff member you spoke with was most likely referring to me, as I do often stop in on the weekends. I am glad the manager on duty was able to understand the lack luster experience you had, and adjust your rate accordingly, however he should have done a better job of making it clear he was the manager on duty and been more apologetic. It seems as though the rest of the staff you encountered were very polite and friendly, which amongst so many negatives is great to hear.
Thank you again for your loyalty and kind words regarding our Norwalk location. We will be sure to use your feedback as a way to improve our hotel and prevent these issues from occurring again in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back to any of our Hotel Zero Degrees locations again in the future, should you wish to discuss your stay any further, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

203-363-7900

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Crowne Plaza Stamford
Sheraton Stamford Hotel
Sheraton Stamford Hotel
#1 of 14 in Stamford
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Stamford

Been to Hotel Zero Degrees? Share your experiences!