“I wish I could put my finger on it, but it just doesnt cut it”
Review of Hotel Zero Degrees

Hotel Zero Degrees
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Manlius, New York
“I wish I could put my finger on it, but it just doesnt cut it”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

There is just something about this hotel that just did not cut it for me. It is trying to be a boutique Manhattan style hotel but that just doesn't work in Stamford. The room I had was small, and I that's fine, but the configuration was chopped up which made it claustrophobic. One small window that was not visible from the bed or desk. Just a depressing room. The decorating in the hotel commonareas and rooms seems expensive and someone put a lot of effort into it, but again there is just something about it that seems a little off. Walls seemed paper thin and I could clearly her the couple in the room next to me and whenever a door closed hard in the hallway it sounded like it was right in the room. On a week-long business trip, the room should feel like a respite, and this one did not. Only one elevator is also annoying as it takes forever to get up and down. No bar seals the deal, even though there are plenty of average to below-average bars in walking distance.

There are other hotels in Stamford, some with bars, and I am traveling for business so I am not terribly concerned about cost, so next time I go I will definitely be looking elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank devinmcmahon
Kevin_Gross, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear devinmcmahon,

Thank you for taking the time to share this candid feedback following your recent stay with us. As we are when any guest leaves unsatisfied, we are truly disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations for Hotel Zero Degrees. I would like to extend my apologies for both the elevator and also for what turned out to be a poor stay. We hope you will consider returning in future, as we will do our very best to make sure your next visit is better than the last.

Kevin Gross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
boston
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Hotel Zero Degrees could be a fabulous hotel for the price. The staff is extremely nice and welcoming. The room appeared clean and was spacious. They serve a free breakfast which included hot items as well as cold. The area where they serve breakfast is too small for everyone to sit at a table but the food was good and plentiful. They also offer free parking, free shuttle service and free wifi. For the price, they are the best deal in Stamford. The only downside was the face cloths and towels on both nights were dirty! This was completely unacceptable. They need to correct this immediately. The soap dish in the shower was also sticky and dirty. It is for these reasons that I will not return and cannot recommend it. Too bad, everything else was great!

Room Tip: Pay the extra to get the room that has a sofa. It is much larger and worth the $20 bucks!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank hollisjanine
Kevin_Gross, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear hollisjanine,

Thank you for sharing your experience and detailed feedback on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that the condition of the towels ruined what was an otherwise great stay. We do have a large quantity of new linen and towels delivered monthly, so to have any room with towels that are not clean is indeed unacceptable. Each room is inspected by a manager or supervisor before it is sold to make sure there are no minor details our housekeeping team may have overlooked. However it seems that system failed during your stay, and for that I apologize. I have met with our managers who were on duty last weekend to share this review with them and ensure this does not happen again moving forward. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you want to discuss your stay any further. Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we hope you will consider giving Hotel Zero Degrees another chance during your next visit to Stamford.

Manchester, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have stayed at Hotel Zero Degrees several times and we are always happy we did. They have a shuttle to the train or anywhere near by-driver is nice-they have good coffee all day!!!, breakfast, the rooms are VERY clean, free parking, there are restaurants in walking distance...the price is amazing as well. We will be back

• Stayed May 2014
Jordan S, Front Office Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Kirsten D,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to post this spectacular review, I am happy to hear you have enjoyed Hotel Zero Degrees on several occasions. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warmly,
Jordan Scalise
Front Office Manager
Minnesota
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The reviews currently have this hotel at #1 in Stamford, which I don't really get (unless the other hotels in Stamford aren't that great, which I doubt). The place is just fine, but no better than that.

Good: Beds are comfy, free (but limited) parking underground, very convenient location that's close to a bunch of restaurants downtown, seemed clean and tidy.

Bad: We encountered some problems on our stay that the staff was slow to fix. The biggest was that the card reader on our room door gave out, making it impossible to get into the room without someone from the front desk letting us in. It took them almost 48 hours to fix that. A lightbulb in bathroom was never replaced, despite notes left on the bathroom sink. Not a big deal, but something that separates great hotels from OK ones. And while the location is convenient, it is right on a busy and LOUD street (at least after 7AM). Don't plan on sleeping in here unless you're immune to street noise. Breakfast is adequate, but not particularly well tended (a lot of things would run out quickly and not be replenished for quite some time).

It's certainly not like I'd never stay here again. But I'd probably try the Courtyard next time to see how it compares.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CrabberWheels
Dear CrabberWheels,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following what turned out to be a sub par stay with us. We are disappointed that your stay fell short of the expectations you had, for what is the #1 hotel in Stamford. The majority of our great reviews and our reputation as the #1 hotel in Stamford have grown from our staff providing all of our guests with a high level of service and attentiveness. It seems we may have fallen a little short during your stay in getting some issues you encountered solved, and for that I apologize. I appreciate you reaching out to me to discuss matters further, and thank you for your willingness to give Hotel Zero Degrees another chance when you return to Stamford. I am confident your next stay will be flawless, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Can't wait to go back! My fiancée and I had a great stay. Complimentary parking was a great perk, hot breakfast was a treat, fun and classy modern feel. Located in the heart of downtown Stamford, the location of Hotel Zero Degrees allowed us to fully enjoy the city. We had a great run in the park across the street, were surrounded by endless choices of restaurants and cuisine, and took advantage of many night life options within walking distance. As a frequent business traveler, I appreciated the comfort, cleanliness, and friendliness of staff and guests. We spent two nights, already looking forward to future stays!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin_Gross, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Kate D,

Thank for taking a moment to post this five star review, I am thrilled both you and your Fiancée had such a wonderful stay with us. Our great location in the heart of downtown Stamford and in close proximity to the train station does indeed make us an excellent choice for business or pleasure. Glad you are already looking forward to future stays, we can't wait to welcome you back.

Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Friendly staff, nice room, great breakfast and fantastic location! When looking for a hotel for a girls weekend, I was pleasantly surprised when I came across Hotel Zero Degrees. The price was right and I was pleased to find out that it included a hot breakfast and free parking too.

Room Tip: The only downside was getting a room close to the elevator. The other guests were very loud!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Jordan S, Front Office Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Jenny O,

Thank you for taking a moment to write such a wonderful review! I am happy to know you had a great stay during your girls weekend and were able to enjoy our complimentary full breakfast each morning. I apologize for the room being close to the elevator, for future stays request a room away from the elevator and we will be able to accommodate you. Safe travels!

Warmly,
Jordan Scalise
Front Office Manager
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My recent stay at Hotel Zero was excellent. As an experienced traveler/jaded hotel "guest" it surprised me that I actually enjoyed staying at Hotel Zero so much this is the very first time I am writing one of "these". It is very possibly one of the overall BEST HOTELS I have ever stayed at and I have stay at some "Big Name-High Priced" places all over the world through the years. The Staff are really what made "the difference". They were sincerely friendly in a quiet and discrete way, a consistent pattern I noticed, not just a single person’s character trait. Hotel Zero managed to impress me by finding “The Balance”: (1) the staff were discrete but available, helpful without being intrusive. I did not hear the word "NO" a single time during my stay (2) the rooms had unique furnishings, colors and big CLEAN WHITE bedding (3) the "breakfast" was a reasonable and inviting balance of hot/cold and “room temperature” food and drinks (4) the overall modern and sophisticated decor was bright, cheerful and subtle. In the final summary, it all comes back to the "people" at Hotel Zero. Hey, I just realized, I might have experienced genuine, sincere REAL HOSPITALITY in the "Hospitality Industry" for the first time ever! Thank you HOTEL ZERO for the unexpected and great experience! Anita Steenson

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Kevin_Gross, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Anita S,

Thank you for writing such a detailed and honest review. The balance and real hospitality you reference in your post are service standards our staff have been striving to reach for a long time. Good hospitality and genuine hospitality are two different things, so it is very rewarding to read your review and know our staff has such a positive impact on the guest who stay with us. I must say your review has been a pleasure to read, and it will be a pleasure to share with the entire team here. I look forward to congratulating them all on providing genuine hospitality, and look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Zero Degrees to experience that balance and hospitality again.

Kevin Gross
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich
The J House Greenwich
The J House Greenwich
#2 of 3 in Greenwich

Been to Hotel Zero Degrees? Share your experiences!