“alive at five hotel”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Wallingford, Connecticut
“alive at five hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We had been here once before a couple years ago so we decided to stay over when we went to see Barenaked Ladies at Alive at 5 in Stamford. The hotel is right next to all the bars and where the stage for all the shows is set up, we could almost see it from our room. I must have missed breakfast last time I was there because I didn't remember it being SO DELICIOUS! I have already booked a room for the Beach Boys, can't wait!

Room Tip: We were on a high floor but could still hear music.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jordan S, Front Office Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Jessica B,

Thank you for taking time to post such a wonderful review, I am glad to hear how much you enjoyed our cities Alive at 5 concert series that takes place every summer. We do have a full complimentary breakfast each morning located in the back of our Fahrenheit Lounge Lobby. We look forward to your next visit in just a couple of weeks. Safe travels!

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
PSUqueen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

To be fair the hotel is very nice and accommodating, The decor is very modern- but that's where the positives end for this hotel. Although it is a boutique hotel it is not a full service hotel. I pulled up to the hotel after driving from NYC on business, as I did it started pouring- there is no valet available. The parking deck is tiny, and does not offer enough spaces; it was very difficult parking a full sized vehicle. There is one elevator that services all 8 floors AND the parking deck. I waited about 10 mins in the hot, stagnant parking deck for the elevator. There was no on there to help with bags. All I wanted was room service and a glass of wine. When I checked in I mentioned this to the front desk agent- who proceeded to tell me there was no restaurant on site or alcohol since they are in the same building as a YMCA. BUT he did hand me several delivery menus. I waited several minutes for the elevator, and was disappointed with a small, dark room directly in front of the elevator which is a hug pet peeve of mine. Once I'm in the room there seems to be a full-fledged concert going on below me, and I can hear it as clear as day. I call for a new room. Wait for the elevator. The front desk associate is ready with a key when I finally get to the lobby. I wait again for the elevator, schlepping my luggage along. This time the room was away from the elevator but I could still hear the concert clearly. The concert ended at 10 pm. The complimentary breakfast was very good the next morning and the YMCA, internet, and parking ( if you can find a spot) is all complimentary. I was very surprised at the price because I had just been in NYC and paid less for a room in Times Square at a full service national hotel chain, than at Hotel Zero Degrees. If you are used to business travel I cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. I had 2 rooms and both were VERY noisy!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Kevin_Gross, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear PSUqueen,

Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback from your recent visit. I am truly sorry to hear your stay turned out to be such a disappointment. Despite not having a restaurant or bar on sight, we do offer a great list of amenities, such as our complimentary breakfast, parking and internet, as well as access to the YMCA , and a shuttle anywhere in Stamford from 7:00 AM until approximately 11:00 PM.

I do apologize if our bellmen was unavailable to assist you when you arrived, as he may have been assisting another guest or in the shuttle. I am however glad the front desk was able to assist you in switching your room, but apologize that it did little to drowned out the noise from the concert. Our location in the heart of downtown, and in close proximity to the bars and restaurants can be a recipe for a noisy atmosphere from time to time, especially during the summer concert series at Columbus Park.

Just last year we did open a brand new location in Norwalk, about ten minutes north. It is a beautiful hotel and it does have a restaurant and bar on sight, as well as plenty of parking. Although we would love welcome you back to Stamford again, perhaps that location may be worth a try on your next visit, I think you will be quite pleased.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you wish to discuss your stay any further.

kgross@hotelzerodegrees.com
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was my first hotel i stayed at in Stamford and i couldn't be anymore satisfied with my visit. The hotel is very modern and opened when i first walked in. The staff was nice and polite when they greeted me at the front desk. The room was clean and spacious, and the bathroom was huge. The bed was very comfy and the pillows were nice and big. I went to bar/restaurant down the road called Cask Republic and enjoyed a delicious pizza there. The shuttle service was very accessible and convenient when i needed to be dropped off at the train station down the road to go into NYC. Overall it was a delightful experience.

Room Tip: Queen room is a nice size
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jordan S, Front Office Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Shelbymelby4,

Thank you for taking a moment to post this review, I am happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to Stamford, CT. It seems you had a great overall experience, whether it was the polite staff, the spacious room, or the complimentary shuttle each day. All of us here at Hotel Zero Degrees hope to have the chance of welcoming you back in the near future. Safe travels.

Trenton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have used Tripadvisor before to pick restaurants and hotels when traveling, but this is my first review. I had to compliment the staff at hotel zero for a great stay, especially the van driver Joseph who was awesome. Evan the maintenance guy was a gentlemen as well and talked to me about living in Stamford, as I am considering a move to the area. I look forward to staying again when I return to look at more apartments in August. Thank you for the hospitality zero degrees.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Derrick R
Jordan S, Front Office Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Derrick R,

Thank you for taking time to write your very first review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Zero Degrees. It is nice to know that the hospitality from our staff members left an impact on you and your stay. We look forward to your next visit in August, safe travels!

Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hotel Zero Degrees has a modern, fun vibe. The room was clean. The front desk was helpful and friendly. Free parking and free Wifi was included in the price, which was very reasonable for a saturday night stay. The complimentary breakfast sunday morning was a huge plus! We're glad we stayed at this hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: rooms facing washington boulevard have a better view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Cutie132,

Thank you for taking time to post such a wonderful review on Hotel Zero Degrees. Our urban chic design throughout our building makes for a fabulous feel during each and every stay. It is great to here our front desk staff went above and beyond, also our full complimentary breakfast each morning helps start each day off on the right foot. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Albany, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

My Wife and I stayed at the Hotel Zero Degrees a few weeks ago. We paid $148 a night, and the #1 ranking and positive reviews had us anticipating our stay. When we arrived, our room was not ready, but we were advised we would be getting an upgrade to a King sized room (704?). The desk person told us that the room was one of their best. They said that we would definitely be staying in this room, and it would be no problem when we returned. So we left and came back a few hours later. There were different people working the front desk, who advised us we would be in a different room. When we mentioned that we were promised a certain room, they said that room was now occupied, and they asked who we had spoken too. (As if we take down everyone's name we deal with when checking into Hotels.) Long story short we were given a different room that was still a King size, and were told again that it was one of their best rooms. We took our bags and went up... The room was underwhelming. With the positive reviews and #1 ranking for Stamford, we were expecting more. There was no closet, no microwave, no room safe. The furniture was abused: A cigarette burn was prominent in the cushion on the bench at the end of our bed, and the desk and dresser showed significant wear in the finishes. That being said the bathroom was very nice and clean. As some mention, there is only one small elevator, but we made do. We simply reminded ourselves that we were only paying $148 a night. We went out to dinner and when we came back, the parking garage was full. I ran in and mentioned this to the desk attendant who said we could park around the block in a garage (there was no explanation of how payment would be settled), or we could park in the exit ramp of the garage if we left them our keys. Considering it was late at night and there were safety concerns walking a block or two back to the hotel we parked in the exit ramp. In the morning, we were awakened at 8am by a call from the front desk, telling us that our car was blocking the exit ramp, and we needed to move it. When my Wife explained that we had left the keys the caller said: "Oh, Sorry." and hung up. We were already awake, but had we been awakened by this call, we would have been quite upset. Breakfast was included with the room, and was very good. Despite the foibles, the price was right, and the location was perfect. We would stay there again. I just cannot understand the #1 rating.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank slotrod65
Dear slotrod65,

I truly am sorry to hear that your recent stay with us, despite being ok, left you asking why Hotel Zero Degrees was ranked number one. We do take a lot of pride in our number one ranking, however it seems we fell short of providing both you and your wife with the experience you expected from a number one hotel.

First allow me to apologize for the confusion you experienced during check in, as it seems the front desk did have good intentions while attempting to upgrade your room, however should have passed this information along to the employees who replaced them when their shift ended. I am glad to hear the room was clean, however the cigarette burn in the bench should have been noticed when they room was inspected prior to your arrival. We do have extra benches in stock, so I will have to follow up with our staff to see how it was missed. I will also let our maintenance team know the edge of the desk was chipped, and needs to be repaired or replaced.

I would also like to apologize for the difficulty you experienced while parking. Our staff should have done a better job of explaining the location of the secondary parking, how to access through our parking garage, and that we would reimburse you for the parking fee if your brought the receipt to our front desk. We do have a few new employees on our team, so I will be sure to review this process with them to ensure they understand how to coordinate all aspects of parking, when our garage is full.

We appreciate your willingness to return despite the issues you encountered, and look forward to proving to you why we are the number one hotel in Stamford. We look forward to welcoming you back when the time comes. Feel free to reach out to me directly should you want to discuss your stay any further.

kgross@hotelzerodegrees.com
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was hoping for something more, given the hotel's website. There are a lot of budget-friendly boutique hotels opening across the country, and this seemed like it would be one of those. I did not dislike it, the staff were friendly and helpful, it just was very obviously a converted YMCA. Sometimes those conversions work, but in this case I had a TINY room with no closet at all, which was really odd. The queen bed took up one wall. You can see from the bathroom pictures that the room and hallway weren't big enough for me to be able to get full shots. The location is fine, and the breakfast is quite good, but I don't think this can accurately be advertised as an "urban-chic boutique hotel."

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank illlap
Dear illlap,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and pictures following your recent stay with us. As we are when any guest leaves unsatisfied, we are truly disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations. I am glad you found our staff to be friendly, and you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. I do apologize if you were uncomfortable in the Classic-Queen room. Although they are priced very competitively, they are also the least spacious of the rooms we offer. I will say, the staff here is always willing to offer a complimentary upgrade should we have larger rooms available. We hope the positives outweighed the negatives during your time with us, and we have the opportunity to welcome you back again. Feel free to call in advance and inquire about an upgrade, and we will do our best to make sure you are comfortable during your visit.

Kevin Gross
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,249 reviews
Courtyard Stamford Downtown

Been to Hotel Zero Degrees? Share your experiences!