“Great community theatre!”

Add it.
Curtain Call
Ranked #3 of 32 things to do in Stamford
Reviewed 29 December 2011

You'll find lots of local talent on stage at this wonderful community theatre. High production values and talented casts make this not your average community theatre - a step above the rest!

All reviews
"drama"
"nyc"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 24 December 2011

Amazing talents, convenience location, great productions, affordable prices. Forget Broadway. Great theater is right in your backyard.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

Great shows at a reasonable price. You get to see some great local talent.

Reviewed 3 December 2011

Curtain Call is professional all the way. The shows that you can go to see there always have you on your feet for a standing ovation! They just built a new beautiful theater there with dressing rooms for the actors, plenty of lobby space, ticket area and rest rooms. I have been going to this theater my entire life and I always look forward to attending the next venue. Be sure to call ahead of time for reservations as they sell out quick!

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 October 2011

My wife and I were spending the weekend in Stamford, CT, and attempting to plan some activities to do. One option we were looking into was any type of theatre district that we could go see a show on the Saturday night that we would be in the area. As it turned out, that Saturday night was the closing night performance of the Curtain Call production of Sweeney Todd. We ordered our tickets online (after surcharges, it came to $30pp) via their website and they were left for us at the box office in the theater.

We were staying at a hotel in downtown Stamford, CT (see my review of the Stamford Marriott Hote & Spa on this site) and left for the theater around 7:15pm for the 8:00pm performance at the Kweskin Theatre (there is more than one performance space in the complex). We made it there with plenty of time to spare. The theatre is towards the rear of a large plot of land that seems to also hold a restaurant and a smaller theater as well. Since it was dark out, we actually missed the entrance on Newfield Avenue the first time we passed by, so we turned around and headed back and drove in. There was ample parking, especially considering it was an almost sold out performance. The theater lobby was very nice with memorabilia from prior productions, advertisements for this season's production lineup, and some wall bricks and plaques honoring people and companies that have donated in support of this non-profit theatre group.

We went in and sat in our seats, which were very comfortable (I'm a big guy). We were fortunate enough to score front-row seats, although we were located as far to the audience's right as the seats get. They were fantastic seats and the stage wasn't too high that we lost some of the action. It is a beautiful theater with a fantastic stage and excellent lighting and sound systems.

I won't get into reviewing the show since this is more of a review of the group itself and its facilities, but the show was very entertaining and very professionally done. They seem to have a great 2011-2012 season ahead of them and Sweeney Todd, being their first show of this season, was an amazing start. I am not sure if the cast was equity, but they seemed very seasoned and on their game. The theater had refreshments for sale and audience members were allowed to bring them to their seats with them. It looked like there was some sort of cafe on the second floor of the theater, but I'm not sure.

The Kweskin Theater lies on the same property as a number of other facilities - Sterling Farms Golf Course, the Royal Green Restaurant & Catering, the Players Club Grill Room, and the Dressing Room Theater - which is a "in the round" style theater also used by Curtain Call. We did not get to any of these other facilities, so I cannot provide a review on any of them. It looks like Curtain Call switches between larger-scale productions on the Kweskin Theater and smaller-scale productions at the Dressing Room Theater. That definitely should allow for a large variety of shows to choose from to perform.

If Sweeney Todd can serve as an indicator for how the Curtain Call productions are on average, then I can highly recommend that you attend one of their performances if you are in the Stamford, CT area. It is a very difficult show to perform and they pull it off quite well and they have the facilities at their disposal to continue doing just that in the future. It was more than worth the price of admission and my wife and I will definitely be going back for future productions - possibly with other people as well.