“Nice clean and modern digs...”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Stamford
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Parsonsfield
“Nice clean and modern digs...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed here for one night on IHG priority club points on our way to NYC. Arrived around 2pm, check in was quick, although I had to return to the front desk as my keycard did not work. I was not identified as being a Priority Club member, but service was fine and quick at check in. Room was a king and was very nice. Looked to be newly renovated and very clean. Bed was comfy and had a good night's sleep. Breakfast is average at best, but suitable and filling. Only problem we had was with the valet. We chose the valet option for parking as it is only $2 more than self park. The first valet that greeted us was fabulous - very pleasant and personable - you really felt like he genuinely care about the customer. When we went out that evening for dinner, we returned around 9pm to find an empty valet stand. I went inside to the desk where someone was checking in, so I waited. I did see a gentleman in the breakfast room off the lobby on his cel phone, speaking quite loudly. I came to find out after about a five minute wait, that this was the on duty valet. When the front desk agent was done with the previous guest she called him over and he finally came out to park our car. If you are the valet, I don't think you should be on personal phone calls out of site of the front entrance. Other than this episode, our stay was very nice and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Greek first
Long Island, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Arrived on a Friday afternoon in September, could not find the underground parking lot ( it was attached to the next door hotel ) and not labeled. Once parked, there were no signs leading us to the Holiday Inn Express so we wandered around for 10 minutes looking for someone to guide us out. At 5PM while in the shower the piercing sound of the fire alarm caused me to throw on something and leave the hotel. The fire department showed up and we were advised that a child in the attached hotel pulled the alarm. After an evening out and resting in our room, at 11:30 PM, the now familiar sound of the fire alarm sent us scurrying our onto the street with many others in various states of undress. Children in PJ's, women in nightgowns covering themselves with blankets, etc. Again, no fire or explanation. We then looked forward to the morning breakfast which was minimal at best. I waited patiently to use the new pancake machine which was inoperative when my turn came. The woman running the breakfast room said it happens all the time. The room was neat and nicely furnished, the employees seemed to try hard, but I would not stay there again, nor recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pejayLI
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Stamford, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear pejayLI,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the behavior of other guests prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Savage, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Enjoyed staying here. Central location, clean rooms that have been updated and are beautiful. Wish there was a bit more of a restaraunt/store there but there is plenty around to supplement. A big mall is just about 5 mins down the street. The buffet was nothing to write home about but it was helpful.

• Stayed August 2013
Alexandria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night after a long drive from Virginia. As far as the area is concerned I wish we would have stayed at least another night to experience what Stamford has to offer. Looked like a beautiful little town.

Check in was quick however, we usually receive a little better service with being part of the IHG membership. I felt like we were kind of pushed to our rooms and maybe a little more of a burden rather than a customer. Either way, the relatively quick check in was nice.

The room was very nice. We had a very comfortable king size bed and had a great nights sleep. The breakfast the following morning was pretty good as well. They had the typical sausage and eggs, biscuits and gravy, coffee and juices. Pancake machine instead of waffle maker. Not a bad way to start out the morning I have to say. The only thing I missed was that they didn't have the french vanilla / hazelnut coffee creamers. They just had half & half, etc. Otherwise, breakfast was nice too.

The question being would we stay here again? Yes, we would if we were ever to go to Stamford again. We woke up well rested and started our day well fed. You won't be disappointed I'm sure.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

I had hoped to send this right after our return from our trip to Stamford in July, but sadly am just now getting to it. We stayed at the Holiday Inn for a week at the end of the month for some house and job hunting in the area. We had so many things going on and little went as planned, but the service we got that week was great. The free shuttle helped my husband and I get to interviews and other activities, our room was always immaculate and promptly cleaned each day. The fridge and microwave in our room was a huge help as well as we were able to heat up leftovers some nights. The staff were exceptionally helpful and really went the extra mile to help us with a few things.

My only suggestion, and it is truly a small one is to provide a few more healthy options at the breakfast bar, like more fresh fruit. We stayed at another holiday inn recently that had more variety on the breakfast bar, but, again, this was a small issue in an otherwise fabulous experience.

In a really hectic week, it was so nice to come back and to a clean comfortable room with great service.

I would definitely recommend them

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank georgeandgracie46
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel Aug. 12-14th. Staff was very helpful, and friendly-during daylight hours. Check in was a breeze. Room was clean and comfortable, with a small fridge, nice size tv, and basic amenities. I did not use the included breakfast, because I dont eat breakfast. There were only two items that stuck out as bothersome. Almost everyone complained, quite spontaneously, about the parking. While out for a cigar, one customer was quite verbal about his displeasure, and was quite colourful in his language. The parking garage is a short distance from the front lobby. To add insult to injury, the hotel does not enforce it's "strict" one hour parking policy for check in. People park all night in this area, and the hotel merely puts a piece of paper, reminding the person of the posted policy. I think they should be much more proactive, especially since there are only a few spots. The only other issue is that when I awoke early in the morning, and decided to shower, and check out, the shower was either scalding hot, or had no pressure, when turned to a cooler temperature. I mentioned it to the early morning desk clerk, who looked at me like I had two heads. "We've never had that complaint before", she said. I'm sure they dont have too many people check out at 4am. Location was excellent for my needs. Shopping, and restaurants, within walking distance. Shell gas station across the street, open late. Chinese food restaurant, across the street. Strip plaza within a mile with excellent brick oven pizza, and a cigar store. Not overly significant, but hotel is on a one way street, which is fairly busy. Staples, and Old Navy are also within a short walk down the street.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed on two separate occasions for one night stays each. The hotel staff were very pleasant and the rooms were very clean. I liked the room darkening curtains a lot. The parking garage was a little bit of a walk from the lobby but I didn't have a lot to carry so it worked out ok. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013