“Could... have done better”

Courtyard Stamford Downtown
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Can anyone tell me why the lower you get on the food chain for the different brands the higher the service? We had a choice of staying at the Stamford Marriott or the Courtyard and chose Courtyard...if only for the free WiFi which is a must when you travel. This property is conveniently located if you have friends in the downtown condos, love to eat (plenty of food places and a movie theater near by) but you need to have a car if you are doing business in one of the many high rises. Stay at the Marriott instead.Setting that aside, the best part of the room was the bathroom. Seriously...large, great shower, large counter space. My wife was with me and even SHE had enough room for her make-up. LOL!!! Sadly the room was bizarre. The closet was an an-war that jutted out into the walking area, the TV was on the left side of the bed rather than at the foot which 99.9% of rooms have so you can actually watch it and worse of all, the HVAC went from tropical to Arctic freeze about every 10 minutes all night PLUS you could hear it all the way to Albany. Never slept a full night. We're exhausted.Oh, almost forgot, the WiFi was so weak and slow I ended up using my IPhone as a Hotspot. Could have done the same at the Marriott which was more centrally located. Still don't understand in today's world how thses hotels charge for WiFi when you can go across the street to Starbucks...they finally got the message :) Wonder if there was a Residence in or Fairfield Inn around...would have had free parking, breakfast AND workable WiFi. Again, lower you go the higher the value. How weird????

Room Tip: Turn on the heat and/or AC before you settle in.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I had always avoided this hotel because I thought parking would be difficult. Yes, you have to pay $10 per night for parking but the valets were incredible. They were friendly and eager to please. I stayed 3 nights and they had my car ready for me each morning at the agreed time except for Sunday but then it only took about 5 minutes. The hotel room with 2 queen beds was a good size and the free internet was of acceptable quality. The hotel is on a street with several good restaurants and bars and a movie theater, a block from McDonald's and Subway and down the street from the mall in one direction and Target in the other. Some rooms may hear some street noise but on the 9th floor I did not find it a problem. Unfortunately, there was construction on a lot on the other side of the hotel. From my room on the 6th floor, I found it very disturbing at 7 am. When I asked, the hotel moved us to the 9th floor on the other side of the hotel. It was a good thing as the construction resumed on Sat morning. I also appreciated the comfortable lobby seating where we could visit with friends and the easy access computer and printers for printing boarding passes.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SEAPexplorer012
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Yep, blood on the duvet, which makes you wonder about their quality control. On the other hand the moment we called front desk they changed all the sheets and put brand new duvets.

Otherwise a great place to stay in a very nice location.

Brand new property and friendly staff.

Decent price this time around for a weekend.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Worldctzen
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We just returned. Our daughter and son in law live very close by so that made it an easy choice.(walking distance). We were pleased. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. We had requested a terrace room on the recommendations on TA. After the first night we asked for a double queen instead. We had been gone all day and came in late and they had availability and let us change that night. Very nice of them. The balcony was nice but not worth the extra $. View was better form the other side of hotel. Beds were a bit soft.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel for a second time the night before he was leaving for an international trip for 2 months. We decided to go back after a fantastic visit the previous year on a similar occasion. While the hotel was still nice, it wasn't quite as stellar as I remember it being. On our first visit, we were given a map with all the nearby restaurants and attractions. This time we had to ask for one, and no one took the time to explain anything or make any suggestions. We still had to pay for valet parking, but there was no valet attendant when we arrived so we had to wait for him to appear before going inside.

The room we were given was also significantly smaller than on our first visit, despite paying double what we payed on our first visit. For the significantly higher price, I was much less pleased with the value, and even the quality, of the accommodations. Don't get me wrong, we didn't have any serious complaints about the hotel or its facilities, but it wasn't worth the NYC level price tag. There was also a random empty trashcan in the middle of the hallway for the entirety of our stay...On the upside, everything was very clean.

Room Tip: The corner rooms seem to be larger, so request one if you can...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed in the King terrace suit at the Marriott for a weekend getaway with my boyfriend. I was very pleased with our room, it looked like the rooms portrayed on the website. The room was nice and clean and the terrace was quite spacious. Night life was wonderful, there are a lot of restaurants and shops in the area that are in walking distance. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed one night while on business in Stamford. First hotel room I checked into had an AC issue, in which the AC unit didnt shut off, and the heat didnt work! It was borderline Antarctica in the room. With one call, the front desk sent up an agent with a new key, and a new room assignment. The rooms were clean, and relatively spacious. My only issue would be the parking, which has to be valet parked, due to space restraints in the city. Overall, this is a good option in the city for those travelin on business.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business