“What a pleasant surprise!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Cornwall UK
“What a pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I couldn't recommend this place more highly for business people, solo women travellers or families. It's luxury on a more conscious budget.

After travelling from overseas for over 24 hours on little sleep, and still another 3 hours of driving, I decided to play it safe and find a room. I couldn't find any road signs on I95 indicated any motels. I took an exit in Stamford, having seen a Marriott in the distance and hoping there would be something more affordable. I came across a questionable motel, which as a lone female, alarmed me.

I used my Google Places app on my phone to find nearby hotels where I saw Hampton Inn and used my GPS Sat Nav to input the address to find it. What wonderful inventions, or I never, ever would have known about it or found it so quickly if at all.

My room, 224 had two double beds, a huge TV, microwave, free WIFI (great for making the calls on Skype), heater/air con, a huge bathroom with well thought out amenities (also a good hair dryer). The only criticism is that the inroom coffee/tea set up is not briliant. Coffee maker shold be on a tray to prevent damage to the desk worktop. The room is great for a person having to do computer work. It could use better lighting, as it has nothing to hide. Super clean. LArge closet space. Secure door with latch, lock and eye hole.

Breakfast was amazing in a cost-efficient world. Everything was disposable and self-service...and clean. Something for everyone (yogurt, cereal, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, juices out of a machine (Apple juice tasted like water, coffee selections from a machine (excellent coffee!) with three tyes of milk. Coffee cups are disposable, and with take-out tops for those on the go. The cenre-piece was that you could make your own waffles! Smelled yummy.

Multi storey free car-park. Free breakfast.

Usual rate $99.00 plus tax.
Anyway, highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank hhep

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed 17 November 2010

The best hotel and free hot breakfast of our entire trip!
The hotel was rebuilt in 2007; great staff, very clean, free Wi-Fi, free parking, close to the downtown. Definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank fdslopes
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 29 October 2010

I didn't see any mention on their website nor was any mention made during check in that renovations were underway in the hotel. My first indication was when I got off the elevator on my assigned floor and was nearly knocked over by intense paint fumes. I made it to my room and thought the room was okay. However, later in the evening I realized the fumes were seeping into the room. Fortunately two windows opened slightly where I could gulp some fresh air as I repeatedly woke up throughout the night. By early morning I was getting nauseous so I took a shower, packed my bag and headed down to the lobby to wor until breakfast was served at 6. Not surprisingly the lobby was fume free so guests wouldn't know until after they went upstairs how toxic the fumes would be. I realized during the night that I should never have stayed on the floor but requested an unrenovated floor. I didn't realize that two floors had not been renovated until I decided to search the hotel for fresh air. Later that morning I finally saw the small sign near the elevator, facing toward guests coming down to the lobby, that warned of renovation inconvenience. If the paint fumes had not made me sick the rooms and the hotel were actually clean and pleasant looking. I would have appreciated being told at check in about the fumes and being allowed to choose between unrenovated but breathable air or renovated and paint fumes.

We were also tired after a long day on the road so ate at the attached restaurant. It was okay but we were the only people eating dinner while the adjacent bar scene was hopping. A band was setting up for a 9 pm show and based on the sound checks they did while we finished dinner they probably blasted their fans' ear drums. We were glad to escape before they really started.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I first stayed at this property five years ago for several days on a business trip. It was a rather strange experience. My wife and I recently stayed there again, and it is still a rather strange and somewhat unsettling bordering on just plain weird experience.

This is not a typical Hampton Inn property, either in construction or management. It is apparently a rather old, somewhat charming, but sadly run-down and somewhat seedy hotel from the 1930s, judging from the architecture and decor, which Hilton at some recent point in time has acquired. Renovation and improvement have apparently proceeded at a snail's pace, since little progress seems to have been made in the past five years. To say that this property is not up to the usual high Hilton corporate standards would be an understatement.

The staff is polite but rather distant, probably because English is not their first language; they are somewhat disorganized and not exactly friendly or welcoming. A few tasteless attempts at folksy decorative touches, such as tacky novelty lighting in the breakfast area, have gone badly awry. On my previous stay, I was given a large and relatively luxurious if very dated room, marred only by a noisy refrigerator which I had to turn off each night so I could get some sleep. This time I got a room less than half that size, even though the hotel was largely empty. Apparently I no longer rate a free Hilton Honors customer upgrade.

While some common areas and hallways have had new carpeting recently installed and a coat of white paint sloppily applied to woodwork and trim (including the handle and lock to my room), much of the distressed original furniture looks even shabbier than it was five years ago and badly needs to be replaced. The bathroom sinks and counters were new, but the old tub had been poorly caulked and was in dire need of replacement. The beds are also not as comfortable as in most Hilton properties; the one in my room was both hard and sagged in the middle, so I didn't get a decent night's sleep. The Wi-Fi signal in the room was so weak as to be totally useless, even for basic E-mail.

Given that the surrounding area is still rather seedy, the unsecured and unpatrolled parking garage does not exactly inspire confidence. The disconnected security camera is the lower level mentioned by a previous reviewer remains clearly still out of service with dangling cords, a clear advertisement to any miscreants that security is not a priority.

The attached restaurant, apparently under the same management as the hotel, also provided a strange experience. The dining room had apparently been rented out for a large and VERY LOUD private party. Other people such as ourselves arriving for dinner had to fend for themselves in the bar, which is in two separate small rooms adjoining the dining room. The music from the dining room was simply deafening, making conversation with one's dinner companions almost impossible. Our waitress was very pleasant, clearly overworked, and tried to make the uncomfortable situation as pleasant as possible, not easy given the circumstances.

The food was reasonably priced and rather creative: not so much Asian fusion as Asian confusion. In addition to a somewhat expanded version of the menu to be found on-line at the hotel's website, there was a full page of "small plates" which were apparently the Indian equivalent of tapas. We ordered a number of these in lieu of a formal dinner, given the less than optimal dining conditions. They were each easily double the size of a standard tapas serving, although the quantity did not exactly make up for the variable quality. Tarragon seems to be the cook's favorite herb, as it turned up in several of the dishes. One plate of steamed al dente vegetables was heavily laced with tarragon and nothing else, apparently. The ancient bottle of beer I was served had gone stale months ago. Like the hotel stay, the dinner was also a strange and somewhat unsatisfactory experience. I don't think I will be returning for another stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank foodbuffs
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 October 2010

We stopped in Stamford on a whim and had a hard time finding a hotel with vacancy. The Hampton was superb - the staff was helpful (made a spot to park the UHaul van, pointed us toward dinner), had lovely comfy beds and a fridge in our room, full breakfast in the morning . The next night, we paid an extra $80 for a hotel room in Boston that was a third as good as this Hampton.

Would stop here again with no qualms.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Camarillo, Ca
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Fairly new Hampton Inn located close to downtown, the train station and I-95. Rooms are being renovated, and the new rooms are clean, comfortable, and reasonably roomy. The breakfast is fairly typical for a Hampton Inn, but the room is decorated nicely as a library. There is no pool and the exercise room is small with only a few pieces of equipment, but there is an on-site restaurant and they have managers specials during the week with drinks and snacks. The parking garage is a little tight if you have a larger vehicle, and can be crowded if there is an event going on in the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Cave Creek, Arizona
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Each year when visiting the area we stay ot this property.
Rooms are good size especially the suite rooms. Garage parking.
Convenient location if you have car. Hotel has pick-up service.
Breakfast fine too. Has new restuarant attached but we didn't eat there.
You can expect large groups staying there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple