“WAY BELOW EXPECTATIONS FOR A HILTON!”

Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The place needs renovation, Paint at a minimum. The worst experience was with the restaurant/food. The quality of the food was awful. First night I ordered room service. The salad was old, brown leaves; the shrimp was bad, the bread was completely dried out, and the soup was luke-warm. I complained and the restaurant manager came up to my room and ended up deleting the charge because I didn't eat any of it but she (blonde Woman w/accent, maybe Russian) argued with me. Over the phone she said their bread is always fresh. I said please come up and see the bread they served me and judge for herself. She did come up and she admitted the salad was brown and the bread was old and said usually it's good but they were off the mark tonight. I asked her if she actually eats this food herself. I couldn't believe how bad it was! On another occasion with room service, I ordered a Spinach salad and they brought me mixed greens. I called once again and spoke first with the front desk. I explained to the attendant who answered the phone and he said "we don't have a mixed green salad." So he said i'd need to speak with the manager. Again I spoke with the manager (a different woman, more helpful this time) and she sent up an actual Spinach salad but I couldn't eat it because it was all wilted and old! Breakfast was just as bad: cold coffee, runny eggs, egg whites that tasted like chemicals. The only positive part of breakfast was the fruit! The fruit was very good quality. The service at breakfast was also lacking. They were very disorganized and just kind of wandered around, no professionalism at all. In addition, the menu at the restaurant offered very few vegetarian options. The fish was "Atlantic" which means farmed which means awful quality (look it up...) This last item about the fish is a particular item that I wouldn't expect a Hilton to notice but it would show me excellence if you were to notice. It would mean that the Hilton knows how to cater to people who expect the best. However! I'm not even talking about "the best" in my comments. I'm talking about just average or slightly above average expectations, which i think is fair for a Hilton. I was shocked by the poor quality I saw everywhere. I stayed at a Marriott afterwards and immediately noticed how much better they were. Okay: back to room service: couldn't believe all of the extra charges!! Two separate "delivery" charges? Extra to bring up alcolhol? 20% included for service? Then the bellboy doesn't even give you a copy of the receipt unless you ask for it!! WOW. Okay -- also, the television wasn't working when I first got there. It was fixed right away so that was fine. However, the options on the television were lacking in that I really wanted to see a show on PBS that night and the only PBS station available was the kids' station! PBS is a standard station -- why wouldn't that be an option? I spent lots of time on the phone with the front desk about that. The front desk staff was usually friendly enough but they just weren't very knowledgable or efficient. They didn't go out of their way for sure. When I asked someone if she would check with my airline to see if flights were delayed due to the storm her first response was that I need to do that myself. I protested and she said she'd find out and call me. She never called. Overall I just spent way too much of my time dealing with issues that shouldn't have been issues to begin with. As I said, I was very disappointed in the Hilton and I will not stay in a Hilton again, if I can help it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
4  Thank Maria G
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

We appreciate the time you took to share your experiences with us. This is not the level of service we expect for our guests and I thank you for bringing these points to my attention. I will share your feedback with our dining staff to ensure our customers receive quality products and service. We sincerely regret any difficulties you may have encountered with in-room dining. When ordering room service, our fees are noted and we apologize for any miscommunication. I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel so we may restore your trust and confidence in us and the Hilton Brand.

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I came back to this hotel after some time, and I really feel it was my best choice. Rooms are great but my fav is the executive lounge: I can be comfortable, watching tv, eating, drinking or working, but always is a great experience... John is always great and is wonderful to see how he can remember me after long time. He makes me feel I was here yesterday. I hope he never leaves!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

It is great that you were able to enjoy so much while staying at the Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center. We appreciate your kind comments regarding the team. It would be our pleasure to continue to welcome you back when you are visiting the Stamford area. Thank you.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I've been a Preferred Hilton member for over 15 years and have stayed at this hotel many times when I visited Stamford, Connecticut. I have had great experiences with the hotel staff and always thought of this hotel as an example of what hotels and travel was supposed to be -
That changed after January 2014.
I always was able to book their Deluxe King rooms which provided special accommodations, including a hot tub and refrigerator, but is now only available on a first come, first serve basis - without guarantee (this what the front desk staff indicated when I spoke to the directly). And prices for their regular rooms have risen DRAMATICALLY, while other hotels in the area have maintained competitive prices without cause. I have sent a letter to Hilton's corporate management to find out what is going on with this facility and I am awaiting their response.
In the meantime, I would highly suggest to travelers looking for accommodations in the Stamford, CT to book yourself with another hotel and avoid this facility.
What a huge disappointment....

Room Tip: If you must choose this hotel, double check to make sure the type of room you book is guaranteed - O...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank petehz

We value our loyal guests and I appreciate you for taking the time to share your perspective. Our rates are competitive with other hotels in the area and most of our room types are guaranteed. There are times when a preferred room is not available, however, we try our best to provide our guests with their preferred choice. Our team is always available to answer any questions you may have and it is our hope to welcome you back to enjoy all the things that have made the Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center your hotel of choice over the years. Thank you.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

This Hilton is perfectly placed for all the finance related businesses in Stamford and a 5 minute walk to the train station to New York--about an hour away. It is a full service hotel with restaurant, full-time bell boys, underground parking with valet, and the 10th floor provides Hilton honors with breakfast in the morning and drinks/heavy appetizers in the evening. A very practical place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bruce P

If you are visiting the Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, for business or pleasure, we are located near many corporations, museums, restaurants, shopping and much more. The Stamford Train Station is just a short distance from the hotel and we offer complimentary shuttle service. We are delighted you were able to enjoy so much while here and we thank you for your wonderful review. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back the next time you are visiting the area.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Found myself discovering this hotel thanks to rather attrocious customer service from Sheraton Stamford.

The lobby is far more elegant
The rooms however cleraly could benefit from a refurb- door handles and bathroom fixtures- but bed, bedding amd clmate control were great.
Always a tad short on the bathroom amentities but acceptable- moisturizer doesnt overpower - which i liked
Good sized rooms and a pleasant staff rounded out my experience.

Would return and recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LeDude13
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We are happy you were able to enjoy your accommodations and you had the chance to relax while here. Our team strives to provide all of our guests with a positive experience and we thank you for your kind comments. I appreciate you bringing these points to my attention and I will share your feedback with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed here to attend a company meeting. Room was up to date with electrical plugs at bedside. Appreciated the magnifying mirror in the bathroom for putting on makeup. Concierge lounge was wonderful with lots of good food --one of the better I've enjoyed recently. Bed was comfortable, room was clean. The only problem I encountered was the desk chair, which was stuck in one position.

Meeting room and food served at the meeting was very good. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of the Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Conference Center. It is great to know that your visit inspired your positive comments. Our hotel offers the perfect meeting facilities for groups both large and small, as well as luxurious and comfortable accommodations. I am so happy you appreciated the use of our Concierge lounge, as we hope to make our guests feel well cared for. Please know that someone is always available to help in any way they can. I will be sure to have our Engineering team look at the desk chair. Your comments are of great value to all of us and we hope to welcome you back again for another great stay.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

The positives: Night check in team was excellent this time through. Compared to last few visits, which were not personable. Glad to see management listened!
The shower head. Good and powerful, and makes you feel better about where I just slept.
The negatives: The plumbing in the room was severely backed up, which effected the toilet, sink, and shower drain. Also, the sink drain had a leak under the cabinet, which could be heard dripping in the bedroom for about ten minutes, until all the water in the sink basin drained.
The beds fitted sheet had unexplained, faded brown stains above the pillow area, on both sides of the bed. Time to retire this one.
The air vent in the main room had an unexplained black "particles" on the vents. Hopefully this is not black mold.

Bottom line... I have stayed at this hotel a few times as I come into the city at least once a month, simply because I am Hilton Gold, and want to support the chain, but I will most likely go to the Marriott Courtyard next time, as it just seems cleaner.

Room Tip: I wish I knew how to get a good room myself!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank connecticutreviewer
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

The feedback we receive from our guests and members provides us valuable insight that we take to heart. I’m glad to hear that the night check-in was more positive for you and the team will be thrilled to hear the kind words you had for them. Our accommodations should be at their very best prior to guest arrival and this certainly does not sound like the experience we strive to deliver. I will review these points further with our housekeeping and maintenance associates, but if you have a chance, please contact us directly and let us know which room you were in so we can quickly address any plumbing issues. Thank you for your review and continued loyalty to our property and brand as a Hilton HHonors member. I hope we continue to be your go-to hotel when you are in the Stamford area.

Jim Marino

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa
#4 of 14 in Stamford
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich

Been to Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center? Share your experiences!