“Dreadful experience...understaffed, dirty, outdated.”

Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My experience started with trying to order room service. The one person assigned to this was on break and I was told the desk does not pick up calls. Really? It took 15 minutes of repeat calling to get through. This was not an after hours period (around 8 pm). The breakfast area was messy with food, dried coffee stains and other items misc. scattered across the floor. It looked like days had passed since the last cleaning. I would certainly not return to this Hilton property and will likely avoid other Hilton properties for future business travel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JeffCnd
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your perspective with us. We sincerely regret any difficulties you may have experienced during your visit. Our dining area is cleaned regularly and I will follow up with our team to ensure procedures are in place to provide our guests with a comfortable atmosphere. It is our hope to welcome you back so we may restore your confidence in us and the Hilton Brand.

Jim Marino

Write a ReviewReviews (1,243)

Reviewed 22 March 2014

For a hotel which hosts senior shipping executives annually at the CMA conference, the standard of the accommodation is of a completely unacceptable standard and should close for major upgrading works. Broken bathroom fittings and cleanliness well below acceptable standards.

2  Thank worldglobal
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

It is truly disheartening to read comments like yours. We regret we missed the mark on ensuring your stay was as you anticipated. Feedback like yours helps us to improve upon our services for our guests and this information will be shared with the team as we continually refresh our commitment to our customers. I will have the maintenance team look into and further address any areas of concern. It is our hope to welcome you back to our hotel so we may restore your confidence in us. Thank you.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

This oversized Hilton is within "walking distance" of the Stamford train station....ok, take the hotel shuttle...please...The location is fine as long as you have transportation. The property is aging a bit: some of the upgrades were poorly executed, but overall it is a decent hotel. The staff, from front desk to shuttle bus drivers, were awesome: very helpful, very friendly. The rooms were a bit dated, but well appointed, clean and quiet (in spite of being next to the railroad tracks). The restaurant in the lobby was fine: the food was good hotel food, the morning breakfast buffet was appprorpiate for the class of hotel. I would stay here again, if the need arises.

1  Thank RolloX24
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

When choosing to stay at the Hilton Stamford Hotel and Executive Meeting Center, our guests are close to shopping, area corporations, the train station, restaurants and more in the downtown area. Our complimentary shuttle service is available to the surrounding area and our team is available to answer any questions you may have. We are pleased you had the chance to experience so much while here and we appreciate your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area. Thank you.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The staff was courteous but not friendly and acted more annoyed than helpful when I brought up issues. This is branded as a Hilton hotel (not a lower end Hampton Inn) so I expected more. The room was cold and they hardly put any covers on the bed so I had to ask for additional blankets. That's saying something, considering that I'm from Utah where its always cold in the winter! Additionally, my shower head was limply pointing straight down and I asked the front desk to get it fixed but no one ever did. I ended up fixing it myself. The room was quiet, which was nice, and the overall quality of the hotel wasn't too bad but the staff could certainly be a lot friendlier.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
3  Thank Cory W

While we are happy you were able to enjoy your quiet accommodations, we regret that we did not meet your expectations on every level. I will share your comments with the team as we continually refresh our commitment to our guests. I appreciate you bringing these points to my attention as feedback like yours helps us to improve on our services. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back so we may restore your trust.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Alright this will be long winded but it will be in depth and long enough to give you a very clear picture.
As the title says I am still staying in this hotel and I absolutely love it!!! I travel very frequently and stay at resorts all the time and this is one of the best. It is big and open when you walk in. From the lobby there is not one thought to it needing to be renovated or up dated. There are plenty of seating around the front lobby for you to wait and enjoy. All comfy seats and free wi-fi. Check in was quick and hassle free. I bought a deal through hotwire so all I did was give my name and my I.d. and I was handed two room keys. A total of a minute check in.
Now I have read several reviews that had made me regret my impending stay but I knew I was not going to set up shop and make a home for myself in a hotel. I was going for a nice and clean place to stay and sleep and shower. I got all that here. My room is 677 and it is a little walk from the elevator but its not a ridiculous amount. I have a three year old and he loves the distance.
Our room is a basic 2 queen bed guest room with enough space for us all and I couldnt have picked a better view if I tried. I have a body of water as a backdrop behind several house developments and railroad tracks to our right. My son loves spotting everything so I think the view is perfect. The beds are very comfy and roomy.
I must must must highlight a few special workers who have made our stay so special. Miguel in janitorial, Jean, Matthew and Dominic in Valet service are extremely friendly and each have gone out of the way to remember us and welcome us. My son loved to see them each day and they treated him so nicely. I highly recommend this hotel just to visit these gentleman! Im a firm believer that an establishment is only as good as its employees so if you employ the best then you will get the best as an output. Great job Hilton on getting these guys!!
Only cons- I am staying for 7 nights and only had the housekeeper come once and it was apparent she did a half done job. I picked up trash she left on the side of my bed and our bathroom, while restocked, was not cleaned. Since I only had her clean just to get restocked and beds made I wasnt too mad but was a lite surprised. Also they do not offer a fridge nor microwave in the basic rooms, not sure about the higher costing rooms. A breakfast buffet cost $20 per person. For these reasons only I knocked off one star.
I do recommend but if continental breakfast is your thing then try for another hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

We can't thank you enough for your wonderful review regarding your stay. It was a pleasure to have had you and your son here. I look forward to sharing your comments with the team. It is our expectation that all of our guests can feel at home while here and we are delighted you had the chance to relax. We regret any inconvenience with housekeeping and thank you for bringing these points to our attention. For any future visits, we do offer a variety of special offers and our website is the best resource when determining which amenities best meet your needs. Additionally, our team is always available to assist with any questions. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We checked in late after midnight for a one night stay. The next morning the front desk staff accommodated our request for a late checkout of 2pm, so we could sleep in and relax.

When the TV in our room wasn't working the next morning, the front desk sent engineers Alan Quell ("Jolly Al") and Mike Anton up to our room to take a look. They fixed the problem in minutes and proceeded to instruct the front desk staff to give us a complimentary movie (the movies aren't cheap!) and breakfast. Al and Mike were extremely friendly and went out of their way to make sure we knew that the people at the hotel cared about our experience. We were so pleased with our interaction with them that we offered to tip them, but they politely refused our gratuity, saying that they shouldn't be rewarded for fixing something that should have been working in the first place.

We ordered room service and the "American Breakfast," pancakes, and coffee were surprisingly EXCELLENT. I've had much, much worse room service food at hotels that cost 4 times the price.

Overall this is a basic hotel that is a little rough around the edges and starting to show its age. It's not fancy at all, but the eagerness and personality of the staff we interacted with made up for everything else the hotel might lack.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments regarding your experiences at our hotel. While we do regret your television was not working properly, we appreciate your patience while our engineers worked to resolve the issue. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with them. We are delighted you had the chance to enjoy in room dining for breakfast and we are happy it helped get your day off to a great start. We appreciate your feedback, as comments like yours help us to improve upon the services provided to our guests. We hope to welcome you back to the Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center again soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed at this property as part of a large group, but having been a road warrior for many years, can appreciate that it is a good, standard business hotel that is also suitable for a quick weekend getaway or for when staying in the area to visit friends and family.

Typical Hilton in many ways. Rooms were on the small side, but beds were very comfortable and everything in the room was clean and in working order. (Be aware that although there meeting brochure indicates they have queen-bedded rooms, there are, in fact, only double beds). Bar is smallish but nicely designed and cozy. You can also spill out into the greater lobby area where there are some comfy couches and easy chairs.

Only had breakfast in the restaurant which was a typical buffet, though they do get extra points for a great selection of freshly cut fruit.

One of the best parts of the facility is the pool and spa. Larger than a pool typical for this size hotel, the hot tub was especially awesome. Huge, deep, and actually hot. I gave the Spa a rating of 4 versus 5 only because they were out of towels. I called to have them replenished and was assured that they would be there shortly. When I left 30 minutes later - still no towels.

The location is very good for business - in the middle of a corporate park, but if you're there for pleasure, it's pretty dull. Walking distance from the train station though. Although the hotel claims to run a shuttle to the station and locally on a regular basis, many in our group found that it was anything but regular. Persistent calls to get picked up at the train station were met with misinformation and long waits. That being said, if you have a car, Stamford actually has very good shopping, restaurants, and a nicely designed downtown area.

Room Tip: Views are inconsequential here as there is nothing to look at . . .