“A nice business hotel”

Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed 30 September 2008

I stayed at this hotel when it was a Westin and I have noticed a slight downgrade in the quality at the hotel.
Just the design of this hotel is sheerly annoying. The noise level in the atrium is astonishing. So if you'd like a romantic atmosphere, this is not the spot for you. The decor inside the rooms is less than inspiring (but the feather beds are extremely comfortable). The restaurant food was less than impressive, but there are other options nearby.
The pros: Dalton at the front desk was amazingly friendly and helpful! There is ample indoor parking. For a business stay, it is more than adequate. The location is unbeatable and the shuttle service is a nice convenience. The business center is more than adequate.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,235)

Reviewed 25 September 2008

Hotel is hard to find and I was born in Stamford! One I got past my problem in the garage which was quickly taken care of and off my bill, I enjoyed a very nice 1 night stay here. Ordered a pizza from my favorite local place, "Pappas" and curled up in a comfortable chair to watch a movie on the 32 inch plasma tv, great! Took a swim in the indoor pool (a little too heavy on the chlorine) then slept like a baby on the very comfortable king size bed. Nice bathroom with good toiletries. Room very quiet, no evidence of wear and tear others described. For $50 on Priceline I was a happy, pampered camper!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2008

I loved my stay.Dalton from the front desk made my sisters b day the best .Our room rocked and sleeping sofa was as soft as the bed.I am a hard person to please and reading some of the reviews i have to say is not fair just like any hotel it as it good and bad .I think some people stayed during the change from Westin to Hilton.The door bells are the best no hard knocking waking the neighbors up and the food mmmmmmmm.No Peeling walls or smelly rooms. The in room treats are expensive as well as the bar but you are around the corner from the liquor,regular stores,and restaurants the shuttle driver will take you there. You are also steps away from downtown club and bars and your right next to the train station so you could walk if you want to and head to New York Party . the staff was polite and ran for our every needs. i have to say look at my pix and check in and stay for yourself .

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2008

If you are used to empty, impersonal convention venues, then you should feel right at home at this small convention center/medium-sized hotel. From the moment you wait for the one clerk at the large check-in counter to the day your departure is delayed because the driver of the complimentary shuttle is loitering with the other drivers, you can feel immersed in the comfortable anonymity of the ignored. I could maintain invisability even in my room with burned out bulbs in the desk and bedstand lamps and a recently installed wall lamp in the darkest corner of the studio that had a power cord too short to reach any electrical outlet. The location is forlorn; the Hilton sits on nicely landscaped grounds separate from but in the middle of a tract of lowrise office buildings. This whole campus is surrounded by a seedy neighborhood through which most guests would not feel comfortable walking, but it was a fine 20 minute walk during daylight hours to downtown Stamford. Fortunately, the shuttle is available to take the guests downtown or to the Metro train station every 20 minutes until 10:30 pm. The trip is 5-7 minutes.
Downtown Stamford has a large upscale mall with quite a few moderate restaurants, so I saw no reason to hazard a chance at the Hotel food.
The rooms, bathrooms and hallways were clean. The bathroom counter was small for the size of the bathroom. The room security safe was nonfunctional and I had to use a safe deposit box at the front desk. Wi-fi internet access was free in the lobby but cabled internet access was $9.95 per day in the room, a cheap shot, in my opinion, for a three star Hilton Hotel. They should at least give complimentary internet access to their Hilton Honors guests.
The highlights of my stay were the super-polite hotel employees,
the HD flat plasma screen TV, the same William D. Middleton train photographic print in the bathroom and studio, apples always at the front desk, and dependable internet access, even if I had to go down to the lobby for it.
Bottom line: you won't feel that you paid too much to stay here if someone else is paying for it, or you use a steep discounter for a prepaid stay. One big caveat: I only became aware of this by reading the small print on the room key envelope at check-in: this hotel charges a $50.00 'administrative fee' for early departures, and I often lose the last day of my prepaid stays due to change of plans, but I made a point of staying until the bittersweet end at this venue.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2008

This is a former Westin hotel, but it has been in decline. Five years ago as a Westin I stayed here many times on business travel. It was a solid three stars then. It is about 1.5 stars now. Very disappointing. The room was not clean. The staff is surly. The property and physical building are attractive and the rooms start off ok, but the surly staff and lack of cleanliness are a big turn off. This was just recently converted into a Hilton which was a quantum step down. This hotel will not raise the reputation of Hiltons. It should be an embarrassment to that chain. After being my go-to hotel in Stamford, this one is permanently crossed off in my mind.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2008

We reserved 2 rooms through Expedia, but upon arrival, the Hilton only had 1 room reserved. Big hassle between the hotel and Expedia and I don't think the hotel was very helpful, but it was finally resolved after a few hours of wrangling. The rooms were fairly clean, except the drinking glasses were dirty. I left them out every day but it looks like they only got a cursory swipe. The closet door was broken, the room safe did not work and the phones were out of order on my last day. The service in the restaurant downstairs is excellent, but the food is overpriced and not consistent. My $38 tenderloin was very tough, but the manager comped it and replaced it with an excellent New York. They were very nice about it.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2008

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend and it wasn't bad. The first room we got had a broken tv, a tub that didn't drain and a toilet that didn't flush. The staff was apologetic and moved us to another room within 10 minutes of my phone call. They also refunded us for the night's stay. The buffet was really good, it had a nice selection of fresh foods. The pool area was ok, but the first night we were there, it was crowded with all these weird people- it was total chaos, screaming kids everywhere, towels strewn all over the place. We walked in and walked right back out.

The neighborhood is pretty crappy. I wouldn't recommed walking alone anywhere at night.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich

Been to Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center? Share your experiences!