All reviews bit dated free parking juice and coffee water pressure into nyc comfy bed would stay again nice breakfast walking distance fresh fruit carbs microwave channels printer mall
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Recently during the power outage in CT, we were forced to find a place to stay with heat & water. Ended up in this place. Mistake, a big mistake. Prices were nearly $80 higher than what the Hilton was charging, of which we were not aware at the time. Believe me, if we had, we wouldn't have stayed at the Amsterdam.

Don't trust making an on-line booking for this hotel. On three occasions, we heard families trying to check in, holding their printed reservations. Front desk staff consistently said they had no record of same. Folks were offered smoking rooms instead of what they'd reserved, and at a $20 premium. Nice "bait and switch" tactic.

Front desk staff, in almost all cases, spoke nearly unintelligible English & were abrasive to guests to the nth.

Rooms are on the smallish side; decently furnished. HVAC system quirky at best. Bathroom was clean at least, but minimal toiletries/amenities. Bed, not that comfortable. View from our room was pleasant though.

Included breakfast, at the price we paid, was spartan...totally!

Avoid this place if you can. Run by a bunch of very unpleasant price gougers, who take advantage of people in dire straits.

Room Tip: Don't bother. Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We have been displaced by the October 2011 Snowstorm in the Northeast. With no electricity, heat or water we decided to try to find a hotel. By the time we made that decision there was not much of a selection so we settled on the Amsterdam. You know, it's not horrible; they have decent wireless internet, plenty of hot water/heat and the room we have is quite large with two queen beds. I am happy we can flush the toilet and take a shower and stay connected to the world. It is pretty clean but the furnishings and fabrics are kind of cheesy and synthetic. It is ok for what it is, basically a two star hotel at best. The location is very good, close to the center of town; you can walk to all that you need. A very modest breakfast is included in the rate. I think the normal rate for the room is about $109 (smaller rooms are cheaper), but, we paid, because of the demand caused by the storm, $179. I overheard them quoting $250 as I was checking in. It was a little disturbing to hear them take advantage of the situation in this way but that's free the free market. I suppose when you can get a queen room(one bed) in Stamford for under $100 with breakfast and free parking you are saving some money. So it depends on what you are looking for, amenities and ambience or savings. They have a good location and if they refurbished a bit they would have a nice hotel. I guess limiting their investment makes a better business case.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank JB88fml
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We decided to stay here as we were hiring a car at JFK airport and exploring the east coast of the USA. We wanted to book the first hotel. It was about a 45 minute drive from JFK. The Amsterdam Hotel was very comfortable. Brekkie was included, it was a simple continental breakfast which was bread and cakes and coffee and orange juice. Downtown Stamford was a ten minute walk down the road, there were a few restaurants and the mall stayed open quite late. We were only here for one night but It was a good start to the holiday!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Don't stay on the 1st floor. Hotel was very old with a funky looking drop ceiling and 30 yr old 13" TV

Room Tip: Go to the Double Tree
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My boyfriend and I stumbled upon this hotel on our way back home to NY from Massachusetts, we needed a place to stay because we were tired. We were not looking for anything luxurious, just a place to sleep which is what you get at this hotel. Our room was a decent size, the bed was pretty comfortable and the bathroom was okay, slightly on the dirty size. No major issues EXCEPT when I was being charged for my stay...

I gave the man at the front desk (who wasn't the most welcoming man by the way) my credit card, AAA card and license to book our stay. I did not receive my credit card back and did not realize I had left it with the staff at the desk. I guess I should have realized but the man could have also called me and told me I forgot it (he definitely knew where I was!)
The next morning I checked my credit card charges and found 2 charges that I had not made! Both charges were made in CT, and this was the first time I used the card in 2 and a half weeks! Very odd to me... anyway nothing was done about this, all I was told by the front desk was to "cancel the card." pretty obvious, thanks.

I would advise with this hotel (or any other you stay at) to just be careful.. I'm wouldn't stay here again but only because of my experience, I know others had no problems, and in terms of the room everything was ok.

• Stayed: August 2011