“Charming”

Old Lighthouse Museum
Ranked #3 of 20 things to do in Stonington
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum dedicated to whaling, sealing and farming as it was hundreds of years ago in Stonington.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stonington ct. is a charming little town, & less touristy then Mystic, I was in Mystic for a few days & was told to check out Stonington, which is only about 5 Miles from down town Mystic, so i figured what the heck & went.

To my pleasant surprise I found an old lighthouse that is now a museum, When traveling around I like going to light houses so it was a no brainier to me, so I went, of course I climbed to the top, for those of you that are not walkers or stair climbers not to worry its not a very tall light house, so climb up & have a look . . .

Just check before you go as there is one day that its not open,
the only bad thing I could think of is , , , I so wish I had blue sky's & better viability, as you can see from my pictures it was a pretty gray day.

If you drive or walk past the lighthouse there are wonderful views (on a clear day) as there are also wonderful views if you climb up the light house :-)

2  Thank David Z
There are newer reviews for Old Lighthouse Museum

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We visit Stonington often and always want to go to the lighthouse but always run out of time. We made the time and it was well worth it. The museum is small and very focused. We did not even know there was a battle of Stonington during the War of 1812 and the settlers beat back the British.

We found the children's exhibit wonderful, as were the flags. One had stars that looked like star fish.

After the museum, you get to go up the winding stone steps to a ships ladder to the top of the light. The view is worth the price of admission.

After going here, go to the Palmer House. The admission covers both.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The location was right at the point you could see for miles. The sunset was beautiful, the only place to take a good picture from all points. The town was so pleasant, old fashion.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This small museum has a lot packed into it. Plus the view from the top of the light house is beautiful. It was nice to learn about the history too. Also, I think Tuesday's are buy one get one free admission.

1  Thank Jennifer H
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Old Lighthouse Museum is like an old cabinet of curiosities. The site is stunning and you can
see three states from the tower. It's one of my favorite spots in Stonington. Also you can visit the Palmer House, home of Nathaniel Palmer who discovered Antarctica.