“Horrendous Smell - Do Not Stay Here!”

Americas Best Value Inn-Stonington/Mystic
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stonington
Reviewed 28 June 2011

When my boyfriend and I arrived, the office AC was on high so it was freezing, maybe to cover up the nasty odor. It was $100.00 for the night most everyone else was sold out so we found this place online (Big Mistake) Please always read the reviews! Small ants crawling up walls, odor was so bad we went to a store bought lysol,candles and spray. We slept on top of the covers with our clothes on. I had a blanket in the car so we used that. Left the AC on all night. Did not use shower there, didn't even use their water to brush my teeth, used a bottle of water I had. They Do Not have Ice Machine and I'm not sure if the soda machine worked. These people should be out of business - On a scale 1 to 10 I give if a complete ZERO!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeannieChambers

Reviewed 23 September 2010

I don’t understand people - many harsh reviews. I booked the sea breeze prior to reading the reviews as I drove to the hotel my husband started to read reviews to me and scared me to death I thought I have booked us into a nightmare. When I pulled up I was happy. it was a cute 2 floor building with a gazebo on the side. The building was white with a pretty blue on the doors and shutters. When i checked us in there was a young girl who checked us in within minutes and advised we were in room 8 on the second floor we drove up and went thru a door which had a stairway at the top was three doors it looked like an apt.
We opened the door to our room scared of what to find to our surprise we were relieved. You open the door to a small hallway with a door (the bathroom) and to the right was arch which led to the bedroom inside the bedroom was a queen sized bed with a desk a mini fridge and microwave. There was a TV and a closet also. There was also a giant photo (from top of wall to bottom) of a pretty scene which I believe might have been tropical. The bathroom was a nice light blue and very clean. There was no tub only a shower which was fine with me. although i disagree with most people’s comments like no hot water or small towels some of the stuff I think people are just making up as this was NOT an issue but agree with a few comments so here is list of my pros and cons

Pros :
it’s about 6 minutes away from the aquarium and sea port and mystic
The room was clean
It was nice with the mural and also flowers above bathroom mirror
Had a descent selection of TV channels
Had wireless internet (it would cut out once in a while but only took a second to bring back up)
Had a mini fridge and microwave which came in handy
The bed was soft
The towels were soft and smelt clean

Cons
Although the bed was soft there were only 2 pillows so that was a little uncomfortable.
Although there was a gazebo it was a bit overrun with bushes in the entrance so you would have sneak past the bushes to get in
The toilet flush was my biggest issue u could only get one good flush out of it like once an hour and you needed to hold down the handle to get it to really go down
The hallway had a light smell
There was a crack in the wall and the furniture was a little hard to open and had a cupple of chips but overall the sea breeze was a nice place to spend a few days and was reasonably priced. Next time I go to CT I wouldn’t mind staying there.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Room was dirty. There was black mold on shower door. Internet is a joke; you need to go to the area of the office in order to use your laptop. Do not go there for it a waste of your money.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happymama55
Reviewed 25 February 2010

After reading the reviews, I was a bit worried about what I was in store for. We only stayed one night, but it wasn't as bad as I had feared. It is small and older- needs a little updating, wouldn't hurt to take some unnecessary furniture out of the crowded room. It wasn't dirty, it didn't smell. I wouldn't stay for a week, but for a quick trip it was fine and the right price.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2009

I wish I were joking as I write this, but I'm really not. From the minute we pulled up to this Bates Motel-ish dump, I was leery of how few cars were in the lot--not what you'd expect for Labor Day weekend, right? So, immediately, we were concerned. We saw one couple outside, milling around aimlessly, so we proceeded to get our room key which, in and of itself, was a total debacle. The Indian woman (as in Hindu, not off the reservation), who spoke HORRIBLE broken English, proceeded to run the credit card...and run the credit card...AND RUN THE CREDIT CARD. I mean, C'MON, lady, don't you know how to swipe a [--] credit card already??? Well, apparently not, as she had to type in the info for the transaction...problem being that instead of keying in the $235 that we should have been paying for, she keyed in $2,235 instead and then insisted that she didn't know how to fix it, so we'd have to wait for her husband to come back and HE would fix it. Oy vey.

Anyway, we made our way through one of the corridors to the staircase up to our room and I swear that everywhere we went (corridors and stairways included) simply reeked of funk, sweat, and curry...maybe these odors are inviting to other Indians but, to the rest of the civilized world that makes it out to CT for Labor Day weekend??? Yeah, I don't think so. As if that weren't bad enough, when we walked into our "suite," we both nearly laughed ourselves silly due to the, shall we say, "petiteness" of our room and the utter lack of amenities you'd expect during your stay. I kid you not, there was a MICROFRIDGE in there--I haven't seen one of those since dorming in COLLEGE!!! I mean, are you serious??? Again, I said we *nearly* laughed ourselves silly...only problem was that the wretched smell that I've described earlier was that much more potent in our room than it was in the stairway and, as such, we both nearly vomited once we started to laugh at the hilarity of this hellhole. That was, needless to say, the straw that broke the camel's back (no ethnic pun intended), so we went down the stinky stairs, dropped our key in the box, and got out of there like a bat out of Hindi hell!

Oh, but you thought we were DONE??? Not by a llllllllllong shot, kiddies! Ready for more? Here we go...three weeks later, we get the bill for NOT staying there: $2,235. WTF????? As of this posting, we are disputing that charge and waiting for it to be resolved with the credit card company which, we're told, will take upwards of three months. Comical? Maybe. Frustrating? Definitely.

So, the moral to the story here is STAY THE F AWAY FROM THE SEA BREEZE INN.

~ The End ~

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BlondeAmbitionTour
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I booked for two nights online from England in a hurry without reading comments, as was visiting old friends in the Borough. On arrival small child said my room was on 2nd floor: I objected, as had heavy suitcase, and was giving ground floor room. Opened door: smell indescribable. Room pitch black. Managed to force open window a couple of inches. Blinds immovable, ditto curtains. You don't want to know about the shower room: leaked all over the floor when I could bring myself to use it. Managed to turn off a/c. and when in room left door open in hopes of lessening the stench, but this stratagem failed utterly. Towels tiny. Fled to beach before 8 each morning to swim off effects of sleeping in the awful smell under unacceptable coverings. On occasion wondered where Tony Bates was.

The place was run by large family from the sub-continent with an uncertain grasp of English. Late one night the owner banged on my door, clutching telephone. A friend of mine, nearly hysterical by now, had been trying to call me for some time and was repeatedly put through to another guest. While I had owner there I complained of overhead noise, apparently made by young kangaroo being given jumping lessons. I was assured this would cease. It didn't. Made sleeping really hard.

When I left there was no one at Reception, but finally a small girl appeared and took key. The photos on the net are completely deceptive: decrepit grassy area contained a few dispirited bits of children's equipment. Place reminiscent of really cheap motel visited 30 yrs ago in W. VA , but at least mine host there was friendly. Thought standards might have improved since then.

I was completely ripped off as you have to pay in advance. The Seabreeze would have been expensive at half the price. My advice is: sleep under a tree, an umbrella, your car, but DON'T GO THERE!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Londonlighter
Reviewed 21 August 2009

The 2-bedroom suite had only in one room a airconditoning. The rooms and the bathroom need a complete renovation, had very dirty floors with stains. The rooms smelt really bad because of a strong desinfectant spray. The tv´s didn´t work. The washbowl was clocked.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank sofhalfmann17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonington
Inn at Mystic
Howard Johnson Inn Mystic
Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic
Holiday Inn Express Mystic
La Quinta Inn & Suites Stonington

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Stonington/Mystic? Share your experiences!