“A Crowd Pleaser, but read on...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Water Street Cafe

Water Street Cafe
Ranked #5 of 27 Restaurants in Stonington
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Forest Hills, NY
“A Crowd Pleaser, but read on...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Water Street Cafe mostly hits the marks as a popular restaurant with varied, well-prepared food in an aesthetically pleasing environment. They recently added a lovely, bronzed-painted re-claimed tin ceiling, so the restaurant shines.

We had made an early reservation on a Saturday night. So we were a bit surprised when the hostess showed us to a high-top table, since there were numerous booths available, and my hubby and I aren't exactly spring chickens anymore. We like comfortable seats, for starters. When I requested a table instead, they showed us to an empty booth. The little oil based candle on our table had run out, so eventually, a busboy brought another.

The bread was warm and fresh. My glass of Chardonnay was surprisingly skimpy, compared to most other restaurants. The salad was delicious, and our halibut and salmon were tasty and fresh. The chocolate layer cake for dessert was average, and could use improvement.

By 6 pm, the restaurant was crowded, and noisy. The lights dimmed, and we were glad we had ordered before darkness descended.

My sense of Water Street Cafe is that it is very good, but could be even better, with more staff training and attentiveness, upgrading the quality of desserts and focusing on the comfort of its patrons.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank raethecpa

Pawcatuck, Connecticut
“Eclectic mix of great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

So it gets really busy at night and kind of noisy in the bar area, but the food is always fantastic and the drinks plenty strong. If you want a great burger, they've got it. If you want something more upscale, there's plenty of fresh seafood and other entrees, some French, most American, with great specials. The warm duck salad is definitely a fave.

• Visited May 2013
rhode island
“seemed great, till the flounder, which wasn't”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is a a very ecclectic restaurant, apparently not sure if it wants to be a pub, a seafood place, or an elegant french restaurant. Note to the menu writer: please don't assume that all of your patrons read and understand french! Several of the dishes were described only by their french names, and even though I have studied french, and speak a little, I couldn't entirely decipher it. I pity the person w3ho knows no french at all, trying to read your menus!

The decor can't make up its mind either, with part nautical, part aero history, part pubby...and the bathroom was grubby and very rustic in its decor.

the menu looked great, and I was discussing the choices with my date, when we discovered we had two different menus. They apparently change daily, which is nice, however, they hadn't changed all of the menus out, so he had one from the day before, and had his heart set on a dish that wasn't available, once we learned of that mistake

The oyster stew was delicious, so were the steamed mussels. Freshly baked bread was also wonderful, crisp outside, soft on the inside.\,it was truly delicious.

I was at first, delighted, that the chef had agreed to prepare the fluke, which was listed as the fish in the fish and chips, as a grilled fish item, instead. Until, it was served, and it turned out that the fluke (aka: flounder) had been cooked folded over on itself, and was in fact, uncooked throughout at least 70% of its mass. The waitress returned it to the kitchen promptly.
What was returned, was an entirely different type of fish, served with a different sauce and finishing garnishes than the first plate, this fish was apx twice as thick as flounder, and lacked the lovely delicate taste of flounder. I ate most of it, because I was hungry, and it was fish, but it was definitely NOT flounder.
I was very disappointed that the chef, in a restaurant in a fishing town, during the winter season, (only locals eating on a night with 7' temperatures in january!) would substitute the type of fish, without an honest disclosure.
So... perhaps they ran out of flounder? perhaps he was being passive aggressive, because I sent back the first, raw plate, which had been flounder? Who knows... but I never forget a place that tries to pull a fast one on me, and I don't plan to go back, nor to recommend this place.

I am sure that you can have a great meal here, but I didn't.

• Visited January 2014
“Awesome everytime!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Best food ever in Stonington borough would highly recommend it to anyone and everyone . Service is fantastic and the food is phenomenal.

1 Thank stoningtonbears
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
“Perfection!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Best meal ever! My husband had the steamed clams...made to perfection and I ordered a seafood pasta dish that had a light sauce. Weight staff super friendly!

• Visited July 2013