“Great After Dinner Drink, Live Music.”
Review of Water Street Cafe

Water Street Cafe
Ranked #5 of 28 Restaurants in Stonington
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery
Marathon, Florida
“Great After Dinner Drink, Live Music.”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Was in Mystic with family and after dinner wanted a cocktail. They suggested Water Street Cafe..

Was the perfect location. Quickly seated in bar area, nice wine list, great list of specialty cocktails.

Had gentleman there playing guitar and fit the atmosphere perfectly...

Would live to try dinner here and spend more time. Looks like a perfect little place in a quaint town...

• Visited May 2014

Summit, New Jersey
“Wonderful surprise”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

It had been recommended and since we had to stay in stonington for the night we gave it a try. My husband found it the best swordfish ever, which is saying a lot. I found my little neck clams fabulous but the wine sauce very salty. Terrific service...we would go again and again.

New Haven, Connecticut
“Don't Miss This Cafe if You are in the Area”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Having heard "how quaint" Stonington is decided to see for myself on the way home from a RI vacation. Water St. is A small street near the water(go figure) with shops and restaurants.Having read the window menus of all, decided on Water St.Cafe. Many of the dishes are Asian inspired, and the fish is really fresh.The bulk of the menu is new everyday with a handful of staple items. All of the items we ordered were delicious; Miso Glazed Salmon over soba noodles& vegetable stir fry, Vietnamese fried cod with pineapple & mango Sambal (like a salsa) watercress and rice, and sauteed scallops with chilli garlic lo mein. We were there for lunch on Saturday and there was no wait. The service was very good, but it was cold inside (and I tend to be a "hot mama"). Highly recommended.

1 Thank Ls_ct_11
Port Jefferson, NY
“My "secret" go-to spot”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I write this review with mixed emotions. During the summer months, it is a nightmare
to try to get a table in the Mystic + Stonington areas (we have a home in the area). On one
hand, I love Water St and want to see them do well, but I also know that Tripadvisor reviews
can drive the crowds into favorite restaurants, and once a restaurant is on the "map", I
can't get in! :)

That said, let me share a secret. Yes, you could go to any of the very good restaurants
over in Mystic (Bravo is the best, in my opinion). Or, a friend might have advised you
to skip Mystic, and head over to Dog Watch in Stonington (a personal favorite also).
When you get to Dog Watch, you are told the wait is 1-2 hours. Get in the car, drive
a 1/4 mile up Water Street, park your car in the public lot off Church Street, and stroll
into Water Street Cafe. Yes, there will be a wait - typically 15-30 min - but you'll definitely
be treated to great food, a great bar, and top notch service. Most often, you will be
advised to wait at the bar, and most times, they'll beat their time estimate to get
you seated at a table.

We are regulars at Water Street. Our typical fare is fresh oysters (less expensive than
other local restaurants), yellow fin tuna with wasabe, various meat dishes. All very
well done every time we have visited. Excellent bar - fast service, nice stiff pour, and
good selection of wine, bourbon, and so on.

Of all the restaurants in Mystic area, I like Water Street Cafe the best. Bravo is Mystic
is a close second. Note that the web site for Water Street only has sample menus.
Unfortunately, at least at the time of this writing, the sample menus do not do justice
to the menu you will be presented when they sit you.

If by chance you can't get into Water Street and want to try something different, walk
across the street to Milagro. Milagro is a cozy little Mexican restaurant with a very
personable owner. Check it out, and write a review!

1 Thank RickPJ
Hartford CT
“Great Meal, Great Service, and All That Jazz !”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I had dinner here on Sunday; salad with local fresh ingredients, halibut perfectly cooked and a chocolate bread pudding with vanilla ice cream with some hazelnut coffee. One of the best meals I have ever had-anywhere. Service was superb. An unexpected bonus was the Charlie Holland Jazz Band-I didn't know they played on Sundays-it was like getting a gift in the mail you were not expecting to receive. All I can say is the chef, the staff, and the food are all awesome.