“good food good view”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Diane and I went to Swooner after a day of wine tasting in the Stonington area, When we first got there it was happy hour. While the waiter took our drink order he told us the oyster were a Buck-a-Shuck so we ordered a doz. The drinks were Margarita's $5.00 ea. got to love happy hour the oyster were Malpeque from PEI our favorite. Diane had RI clam Chowder tasty at $7.95 and Fried Squid also very tasty $10.95. I had steamed clams with crispy pork belly really tasty $11.95. And a bottle of Sauv Blanc $ 26.00. Every thing was tasty and well prepared great view sitting out on the deck give it a try we think you will like Swooner.

2  Thank George N

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stonington is a beautiful spot and the Swooner captured the beauty of the harbor with outdoor seating and great service. The food was solid but not exceptional but the atmosphere made up for that. We started our meal with RI Clam Chowder (NE was an option but I like the clear) it was an interesting take on it as it was cooked with Beer, and had great flavor, wasn't as rich in clams as I like and i felt it had a bit to much oil. For the main course we had an opened face blackened fish sandwich and a fish and chips. The chips had a nice herd seasoning but I didn't come for the fries. The fried fish was fresh but lacked flavor. The blackened fish sandwich was well done and something i would order again. Nice place to relax and enjoy the harbor and sea breeze.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We just enjoyed our third dinner at Swooner and were yet again not disappointed. The food is innovative without seeming too precious - my husband declared the fish and chips ( usually a predictable and unimaginative dish) the best he'd ever eaten. The Kale salad garnished with garlic chips was both refreshing and satisfying.

The menu appears somewhat limited but don't be discouraged - every dish is a treasure.

The service was attentive and the sunset view from the deck spectacular.

1  Thank Susannegt
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Sitting on a deck at the edge of beautiful Stonington Harbor,overlooking the sunset, all one could wish for is a good drink and some delicious food. Well that's what you will get! Perfect spot for lunch or dinner when you want to enjoy perfect outdoor dining. The interior is also very cosy and welcoming. Great for locals and visitors.

1  Thank Dapper1
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I finally got to check out the new Swooner last weekend - my first visit since its re-incarnation from Skipper's Dock. I was a bit nervous given the mixed reviews, but had to see first hand. For me there are 3 important factors for dining out: food, service, and ambiance. These determine the overall experience, which I found to be very good at Swooner - with some room for improvement.
FOOD A-/B+: Much improved in my opinion is the menu: a lot of upscale options that were all very good. We tried the fish and chips, scallops, and lobster roll -- all quite delicious. The beet salad and smoked fish pate as starters were also excellent. Craft cocktails were also inventive and very refreshing.

AMBIANCE A+: We had called ahead to put our names on the wait list and were seated immediately on a Saturday night at 7:30pm. At first glance, the decor is definetly an improvement - a fresh coastal look with all new furniture. We had a lovely outdoor table overlooking Stonington Harbor at sunset. As the sun sank into a sky of purples and pinks and the starts came out - the magic of Stonington became apparent. The only improvement I could suggest is better lighting for the tables in the evening. I had a very hard time reading the menu or seeing what we were eating after dark. Dock lighting is along the rail, but wasn't enough. Our waiter, Will, was fantastic though and brought us some candle lanterns which helped.

SERVICE (A for effort, B for efficiency): This is the only area I could see needing some improvement. And hopefully this will come as the kinks are worked out in the opening months. Our waiter, Will, was absolutely wonderful. Very knowledgeable about the oyster selections, and the dishes. He went out of his way to make our dining experience great. That being said, the timing of when food and drinks arrived was rather slow. I don't believe this has anything to do with the waitstaff and is more a kitchen issue. We spent about 3 hours dining for 4 of us - drinks, apps, and main course, after dinner drinks. We actually loved the leisurely pace and enjoyed not being rushed. But if time was critical - I could see this being an issue.

Overall Experience: A-. I would definetly return here for dinner or drinks and would encourage others to try Swooner. There is room for improvement, but nothing that seemed critical - and certainly the location on a summer evening can not be beat.

1  Thank ciaobella6375