“typical 2.5 star hotel”

Stratford Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Stratford
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have stayed in 5 star 4 star 3 star hotels however attending a conference I had no choice but to stay here. It is a typical 2.5 star hotel The staff were nice and the rooms were as I said typical 2.5 star.
My room didn't have a sofa in it rather there were two chairs. My computer chair was broken when I sent into the room so I asked for a new one.
One really gross thing was the soap leftover from previous stay engraved into the shower. I believe housekeeping forgot to scrub the showers but there was lumps of soap there stuck in the bathtub soap holder.
Overall I wouldn't stay there just because I have been spoiled by staying in higher rating hotels, however the hotel is much better than a Motel.
Finally a message to the hotel staff, Please have bigger bed sheets (the fitted ones) on the beds, because I would wake up and the bed cover would be off the bed and the mattress visible!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 May 2014

The risk of Hotwire is not knowing which hotel you'll get...so I can't say I knew anything beforehand. You get what you pay for.

The parking situation is interesting, 1 main row at the front, 2 to the side, then a large lot behind the hotel (which if you get a back room, that's your view). There is a machine to swipe your room key to get in from the back, but it wasn't working because I just went in...kinda scary actually.

The hotel is a mix of new meets old and is located in an old looking part of town.

The conference center seems to be used for parties as well- one day there was a lot of people (and no parking spots!) for what looked like an event perhaps at the conference center or the restaurant in the hotel.

If I had kids, I'd stay away from this hotel. I just didn't feel all that safe at night.

The staff were really great though, nice breakfast room set-up. And I did like that I had a mini-fridge.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Hotel was great, the bed was awesome, clean, organized. The front desk clerk was kind and awesome attitude. The food was also a plus, wonderful setup great waffles, and awesome breakfast host. Definitely will plan a trip here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Nicole C
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I just stayed here over the weekend. So here is a quick recap. Don't expect flat screen tv's and a modern feel. If that is what you are used to pick a different hotel. This is a hotel that needs alot of updating from rooms to decor to grounds, parking lot. The staff at the front desk are very nice and professional. Some friends i were with didn't like their room and they had no problem getting a different one. Cleanliness of the rooms and bathrooms was fair. I've seen better. The beds were great.. we both had a great nights sleep. The bar at the entrance of the hotel was nice. Everyone was friendly the drinks were good. The food was fair. I had the cheesesteak. Overall i had a good time but i wouldn't stay here again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Damon C
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I would give it a 2 1/2. It is a dated property, in need of renovations. But the front desk, even at 11 pm spoke English. The sheets were clean, the bed comfortable. Housekeeping could clean the vertical surfaces a bit more often. Shower a little weak but ok. Excellent big rig parking. Did not experience the bar or restaurant. Considering the area, I would stay again if necessary. It beats the Mayflower up the road a little. The breakfast, btw is lame. Waffles or cereal. Apparently the immigrant help have their families come in to eat around 8. Others need a room key to get in.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Dated, people hitting their kids in the lobby bathroom, moldy, smells of cigarettes, bathroom looked like a crime scene, walls and shower curtain had god knows what on it and there was mold and just dirty.... carpets stained, windows dirty, had to turn the A/C on because the room was so stagnant. Lobby had stains on the tile, from people dropping juice or drinks the night before. Pay the extra 20 and go somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kerry p
Karen L, General Manager at Stratford Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

The biggest problem with Trip Advisor is people that are always complaining about things that are not true, look for a lower rate than they already have been offered, do not receive it and then complain.

If all the things you say are true, we would not pass state inspection, which we always do. We do not have mold, our carpets are only three years old, the tile in our lobby shines on a daily basis and the bathrooms in the lobby are used by people such as yourself.
As to our shower curtains, they are changed every time a new guest is assigned a room!

Unfortunately, it was your group in the lobby running around with their children. We asked several times to please keep them by your side, and that was all we could do.

With 60 - 75 people staying here a night, most of our guests enjoy their stay. I am sorry you were not happy.

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Well here we are at this place and what can I say ...Ugh comes to mind also moldy,cold,bad shape,machines don't work,no card keys,plumbing sucks I should say it don't so come on down and kiss your money good by and you health so have fun and stay away

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Karen L, General Manager at Stratford Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Good afternoon:
I am sorry you did not have a pleasant stay, but actually, in reading all your other reviews you posted at other hotels, I can see you probably just do not like staying at hotels at all.

Your stay I believe was what the hotel industry calls a short stay and being you only used the room for several hours, you felt we should have given you some money back. Being we do not promote short stays, I am sure you can understand that we do not offer special rates for this.

As to the room, we pass an extensive inspection by the state every year and we do not have mold. Our housekeepers take pride in their work and all rooms are inspected before a guest enters that room.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratford
Quality Suites
Quality Suites
#2 of 5 in Stratford
The Circle Hotel Fairfield
Homewood Suites by Hilton Stratford
Rodeway Inn Stratford
Rodeway Inn Stratford
#3 of 5 in Stratford

Been to Stratford Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!